Woody Guthrie, ‘Old Man Trump’ and a real estate empire’s racist foundations

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Interesting bit of trivia....from one of America’s most iconic song writers.

In December 1950, Woody Guthrie signed his name to the lease of a new apartment in Brooklyn. Even now, over half a century later, that uninspiring document prompts a double-take.

Below all the legal jargon is the signature of the man who had composed “This Land Is Your Land,” the most resounding appeal to an equal share for all in America. Below that is the signature of Donald Trump’s father, Fred. No pairing could appear more unlikely.

Guthrie’s two-year tenancy in one of Fred Trump’s buildings and his relationship with the real estate mogul of New York’s outer boroughs produced some of Guthrie’s most bitter writings, which I discovered on a recent trip to the Woody Guthrie Archives in Tulsa. These writings have never before been published; they should be, for they clearly pit America’s national balladeer against the racist foundations of the Trump real estate empire.

Recalling these foundations becomes all the more relevant in the wake of the racially charged proclamations of Donald Trump, who last year announced, “My legacy has its roots in my father’s legacy.”

By the time he moved into his new apartment, Guthrie had traveled a long road from the casual racism of his Oklahoma youth.

He’d learned along the way that the North held no special claim to racial enlightenment. He had written songs such as “The Ferguson Brothers Killing,” which condemned the out-of-hand police killing of the unarmed Charles and Alfonso Ferguson in Freeport, Long Island, in 1946, after the two young black men had been refused service in a bus terminal cafe.

In “Buoy Bells from Trenton,” he denounced the miscarriage of justice in the case of the so-called “Trenton Six” – black men convicted of murder in 1948 by an all-white jury in a trial marred by official perjury and manufactured evidence.

And in 1949, he’d stood shoulder to shoulder with Paul Robeson, Howard Fast and Pete Seeger against the mobs of Peekskill, New York, where American racism at its ugliest had inspired 21 songs from his pen (one of which, “My Thirty Thousand,” was recorded by Billy Bragg and Wilco).

In December 1950, Woody Guthrie signed his name to the lease of a new apartment in Brooklyn. Even now, over half a century later, that uninspiring document prompts a double-take.

Below all the legal jargon is the signature of the man who had composed “This Land Is Your Land,” the most resounding appeal to an equal share for all in America. Below that is the signature of Donald Trump’s father, Fred. No pairing could appear more unlikely.

Guthrie’s two-year tenancy in one of Fred Trump’s buildings and his relationship with the real estate mogul of New York’s outer boroughs produced some of Guthrie’s most bitter writings, which I discovered on a recent trip to the Woody Guthrie Archives in Tulsa. These writings have never before been published; they should be, for they clearly pit America’s national balladeer against the racist foundations of the Trump real estate empire.

Recalling these foundations becomes all the more relevant in the wake of the racially charged proclamations of Donald Trump, who last year announced, “My legacy has its roots in my father’s legacy.”

By the time he moved into his new apartment, Guthrie had traveled a long road from the casual racism of his Oklahoma youth.

He’d learned along the way that the North held no special claim to racial enlightenment. He had written songs such as “The Ferguson Brothers Killing,” which condemned the out-of-hand police killing of the unarmed Charles and Alfonso Ferguson in Freeport, Long Island, in 1946, after the two young black men had been refused service in a bus terminal cafe.

In “Buoy Bells from Trenton,” he denounced the miscarriage of justice in the case of the so-called “Trenton Six” – black men convicted of murder in 1948 by an all-white jury in a trial marred by official perjury and manufactured evidence.

And in 1949, he’d stood shoulder to shoulder with Paul Robeson, Howard Fast and Pete Seeger against the mobs of Peekskill, New York, where American racism at its ugliest had inspired 21 songs from his pen (one of which, “My Thirty Thousand,” was recorded by Billy Bragg and Wilco).

Thanks for that interesting history. Aside from how crappy that place is, Beach Haven place dumped 1000's of gallons of raw sewage into Coney Island Creek daily.
Literally a Trump shithole.

"The complex was owned and operated by Fred Trump, which means that, for the two years Guthrie lived and wrote there, Trump was his landlord. It remains unsettling to accept that their signatures co-exist on the same lease agreement.
In the nineteen-seventies, Fred Trump was accused by the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Justice Department of creating a “substantial impediment to the full enjoyment of equal opportunity” at Beach Haven; it appeared that he didn’t like to rent apartments to black people. (The case was eventually settled.) The complex’s reputation hasn’t improved much in the intervening decades. In 2016, Beach Haven, which is now operated by Beach Haven Apartments Associates, was fined for dumping two hundred thousand gallons of untreated sewage into Coney Island Creek each day. It is the largest fine that the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has ever levied against an apartment building for the mishandling of human waste."

Fine thread. BTW, I miss your old avatar.

Thanks for that interesting history. Aside from how crappy that place is, Beach Haven place dumped 1000's of gallons of raw sewage into Coney Island Creek daily.

"The complex was owned and operated by Fred Trump, which means that, for the two years Guthrie lived and wrote there, Trump was his landlord. It remains unsettling to accept that their signatures co-exist on the same lease agreement.
In the nineteen-seventies, Fred Trump was accused by the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Justice Department of creating a “substantial impediment to the full enjoyment of equal opportunity” at Beach Haven; it appeared that he didn’t like to rent apartments to black people. (The case was eventually settled.) The complex’s reputation hasn’t improved much in the intervening decades. In 2016, Beach Haven, which is now operated by Beach Haven Apartments Associates, was fined for dumping two hundred thousand gallons of untreated sewage into Coney Island Creek each day. It is the largest fine that the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has ever levied against an apartment building for the mishandling of human waste."

That is a great article!

Fine thread. BTW, I miss your old avatar.

You liked it? I can go back...

That is a great article!

The part about how Trump and Woody's Dad had affiliation with the KKK. What a way to be brought up and the despicable acts the Dad's were involved in. One son turned out way different, that's for sure.

That is a great article!

The part about how Trump and Woody's Dad had affiliation with the KKK. What a way to be brought up and the despicable acts the Dad's were involved in. One son turned out way different, that's for sure.

Ya, it is interesting isn’t it, the different paths they took?

Go back to the right point in time and everything was racist. That's why Burn Loot Murder wants to burn it all down.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

That is a great article!

Ya, it is interesting isn’t it, the different paths they took?

Polar opposites.

Here is something for the readers:

Donnie and his Daddy

D J Trump will burn in Hell over his fathers actions. I just checked the calendar. Yep, it's 2020 alright.

Well, from all accounts his father WAS a piece of work.
And that applies to Donald Trump exactly how? You claim the past actions of the democrats don't apply but want to tar and feather Trump over actions that weren't even his.

Let me get this right.... Donald Trump is to blame for something he had no control over and nothing to do with. But the dems are innocent because THEIR history was in the past and the current people didn't do it. I got that right Coyote?
Nope. You got it wrong. As usual. This is about Woodie Guthrie and Fred Trump, not even posted in Politics.

Let me get this right.... Donald Trump is to blame for something he had no control over and nothing to do with. But the dems are innocent because THEIR history was in the past and the current people didn't do it. I got that right Coyote?
Nope. You got it wrong. As usual. This is about Woodie Guthrie and Fred Trump, not even posted in Politics.

This thread wouldn't be worth starting if Trump were not president.

Please spare us the bullshit innocence routine.

D J Trump will burn in Hell over his fathers actions. I just checked the calendar. Yep, it's 2020 alright.

Well, from all accounts his father WAS a piece of work.
And that applies to Donald Trump exactly how? You claim the past actions of the democrats don't apply but want to tar and feather Trump over actions that weren't even his.

This topic isn’t even about DJT.
Anytime Trump's name appears as hostile them Trumpy boys get all nervy and bypass the context.

Hmmmmm, why do I get the feeling this is a troll thread......and by a mod at that. Tsk, tsk, tsk
When you showed up it was secured as that. Do you know anything about the OP? Try reading it and you may become schooled.

The OP about a landlord who was hated by a communist gittar player?

Forum List

Back