Windows Update issue

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
My second PC runs Vista and lately I've had issues with updates. I had 11 available updates a few days ago, but was stuck at 0% download. I attempted to fix this by getting rid of the Software Distribution folder in Windows (it was recommended on a few different sites) but that has left me stuck at searching for updates. Before I find out if I have room to more all of the files I'd want to save and format, does anyone happen to know if there is a way to fix this and get updates working?

I mean, I could probably just not bother updating since it's Vista, but the PC has been running a bit slow lately anyway. :p

My second PC runs Vista and lately I've had issues with updates. I had 11 available updates a few days ago, but was stuck at 0% download. I attempted to fix this by getting rid of the Software Distribution folder in Windows (it was recommended on a few different sites) but that has left me stuck at searching for updates. Before I find out if I have room to more all of the files I'd want to save and format, does anyone happen to know if there is a way to fix this and get updates working?

I mean, I could probably just not bother updating since it's Vista, but the PC has been running a bit slow lately anyway. :p
This time it was the security patch KB3153199. After installing this patch, checking for updates is completed in 10 minutes.

It can be downloaded here:

32bit

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52238

64bit

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52217

(Stop WU service, install the update, restart. And be prepared to see a longer black screen before desktop appears. This was the case with KB3145739 as well on my system.)

I vaguely remember Vista. Didn't it come out the same time Henry Ford released the Model T?

I vaguely remember Vista. Didn't it come out the same time Henry Ford released the Model T?

I've got a second HD in the Vista PC that's got XP on it. :D

Still can't get my updates to work. If I don't have it going by around Thanksgiving, when I'll have plenty of free time, I'll probably format.

Still can't get my updates to work. If I don't have it going by around Thanksgiving, when I'll have plenty of free time, I'll probably format.

Do an Fdisk...

... then do a fresh install.

Did you do the KB3153199 patch? If so and it still didn't work you may need to check the fixes here;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509997

Did you do the KB3153199 patch? If so and it still didn't work you may need to check the fixes here;

I can't do the KB3153199. As with the normal Windows update, it gets stuck while looking for a file to download. You don't get the actual file from Microsoft, they instead give you a single-use windows update file, the bastards. I've been able to do the KB947821 hotfix, though....but it didn't help. I've got some other stuff to try, including seeing if the Vista repair tool on the disc does anything, before I reformat.

Check Google for the latest reports of MS security issues. I won't post a link because there seem to be so many reports, coming so fast, that it's almost certain that any link I posted would be outdated by the time I had hit "Post Reply".

Serious, this, Google reporting they told MS about the problem days ago and nothing has been done.

The 3153199 went through enough to tell me it doesn't apply to my computer. I went through the process of resetting Windows Update components and then tried the 3153199 updater. Since that was able to connect enough to tell me it's not applicable, I'm now running the usual Windows Updates to see if it will work. I'll let it run until tomorrow.

The 3153199 went through enough to tell me it doesn't apply to my computer. I went through the process of resetting Windows Update components and then tried the 3153199 updater. Since that was able to connect enough to tell me it's not applicable, I'm now running the usual Windows Updates to see if it will work. I'll let it run until tomorrow.
I read where one guy let his sit for 7 hours before it actually started the download then the download/installation only took ten minutes after that. Claimed he never had another problem with updates since. :dunno:

I read where one guy let his sit for 7 hours before it actually started the download then the download/installation only took ten minutes after that. Claimed he never had another problem with updates since. :dunno:

I let it sit for a lot longer than that already, but I hadn't been able to get anything from the single-shot updaters. I'm hoping this time it will eventually work.

Still checking for updates. Looks like nothing has been fixed.

I have no idea, stumped. :dunno:

I have no idea, stumped. :dunno:

The PC is still running, although I've had a couple of instances of it freezing up while playing a Windows-provided game with the little one. I'll leave it for now and format in a few weeks most likely. I just need to transfer all the crap I want to save, I'll have to see if I have the hard drive space. :p

Forum List

Back