Windows 10 is

Yup, had to rename Cortana and reinstall the old Windows games but at least they didn't reinstall all their bloatware, at least that's a plus.

Two of the good things Microsoft has done with this update is one, if you have uninstalled their original bloatware the update will not reinstall it, they're respecting our choices and two, they've supposedly given us more control over data the they collect. The only thing is you have to log in to your Microsoft account and go to your privacy settings, supposedly you can delete anything they have collected.
As for setting your computer to "metered connections" to block updates Microsoft will now send critical updates over metered connections but nothing else.
They've also supposedly improved Windows Defender, I'll wait for the independent labs to verify that claim.
As for the rest;
What’s New in Windows 10’s Creators Update

This update will be rolled out over the next three months.

I need an OS that will not be changed indiscriminately through forced updates. The customizations that I make to serve my needs could be useless as soon as another freaking "update" arrives. Then I would have to wait for the developers to adapt the tools.

I don't care for it. It crashed my old computer.

I don't care for it. It crashed my old computer.

:iagree:, Upgraded about a year ago... It was OK until about 3 months later when an Update stalled and when I went to Re-install it, it Crashed the PC... A Pop-up said it was Invalid and everything I had was blocked... Couldn't even do a System Restore... Only thing that I could Save was all the Stuff that I Attached to email Drafts that I left in My email Account... Back to Win Home Premium and recently lost MSE, a Pop-up opened after another Up-date about 2 weeks ago saying that MSE couldn't Run on this PC and it now has Win Defender...! Was Happy with Win 98 SE...! :gs:

Updating to the new Creators edition on my laptop right now...... Can't wait to see what I'll have to undo...... :doubt:

There seems to be no end to the line of idiots who think they OWN your computing stuff. It's amazing that they ever allow me to do any real work or personal stuff on them. Can't power down or up without waiting on their MORE IMPORTANT stuff to get done. :rolleyes:

Infinity times better than Windows 8
Yes, if you don't care about Microsoft's data mining which started small with Windows 7 and has grown exponentially. With this latest update Microsoft is claiming they are addressing user's privacy concerns but it still appears to be the typical Microsoft song and dance over this issue.
There are ways to block their telemetry and disable Cortana (their massive integrated data mining program).

Updating to the new Creators edition on my laptop right now...... Can't wait to see what I'll have to undo...... :doubt:

Microsoft dataminer 2016.

I think I had to go to a different OS and rename Cortana before deleting it.

Edge, too.

Several things that need shut off are unnecessarily tied to low-level processes.

I don't use it for daily.

What happens if you are still using Windows 8 and you don't update to Windows 10?
Mainstream support for Windows 8.1 will end in 2018, long term support will end in 2023, mainstream support for Windows 8 ended last year.
End of Support means Microsoft will no longer provide automatic fixes, updates or tech support for that version arguably leaving that version open to hacking and virus attacks.

Last edited:

Microsoft dataminer 2016.

I think I had to go to a different OS and rename Cortana before deleting it.

Edge, too.

Several things that need shut off are unnecessarily tied to low-level processes.

I don't use it for daily.
Task Manager - right click on Cortana - click on 'open file location' (executable will be highlighted) - click on rename then add .bak at the end of the command - click to rename.
Since Cortana is in use it will not let you rename it and a box will tell you that and give you the option of retrying, good.....
Leaving that box open go back to Task Manager, right click on Cortana, select 'end task' then immediately go back to the retry box and click on retry, Cortana will dissapear from Task Manager if you moved fast enough. You only have about 5-6 seconds before Cortana turns itself back on so you have to have the name change ready to go once you've ended the task to prevent Cortana from turning itself back on and blocking the renaming effort.

I think the most elegant way is "startisback" that does not only replace the MS sandwich board with a proper start menu but also offers to prevent Cortana from being loaded at all.

I think the most elegant way is "startisback" that does not only replace the MS sandwich board with a proper start menu but also offers to prevent Cortana from being loaded at all.
the "free version" you linked for me a while back didn't work so I would have to buy it. Unfortunately I can find nothing that backs up your claim Cortana is prevented from loading.

the "free version" you linked for me a while back didn't work so I would have to buy it. Unfortunately I can find nothing that backs up your claim Cortana is prevented from loading.
I still wonder why it doesn´t work for you. I only offer what worked fine for me. As for preventing Cortana, you must check the respective box. I do have two fixed sib versions for Windows 10: The second release candidate and v1.1.0. Incompatible with newer versions of Windows 10?

I still wonder why it doesn´t work for you. I only offer what worked fine for me. As for preventing Cortana, you must check the respective box. I do have two fixed sib versions for Windows 10: The second release candidate and v1.1.0.
Check your Task Manager Processes, bet you'll see Cortana still running in the background collecting data.

Forum List

Back