Computers Were Much Better in the 286 / 386 Days

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Pieces of crap now and can't do much more.
Try sending a two sentence email? :uhoh3: Yahoo, Gmail, all lock up half the time. "Recover Page?" FU, and lose what I typed. POS. And this website the way the ads F up the page and lock everything up?? :finger3:
I use 3 new computers, two with 12GB of Ram and high-end intel chips and websites and email lock up, blue circle of death on everything, nothing ever works for more than an hour without it brain farting.
And one other thing - when it is just idling the CPU starts pumping away like a jack rabbit on a Saturday night. WTF?
Just more evidence civilization is imploding.

Ah yes, those were the days. Computers were just that, computers. Not bloated with God knows what software that is wreaking havoc on the machine and our nerves :confused-84:

One can buy and maintain a computer that doesn't have "bloat-ware." I've bought several PCs from the linked vendor. None of them came with "bloat-ware." I've been very happy with the units I've bought from them.

FWIW, I don't have any of the software-related problems the OP noted on any of my computers, but once in a blue moon I get the "blue circle" when navigating in Windows Explorer. Then again, I don't install a lot of "stuff" on my computers...Just the OS and the productivity software I need.

The good old days.

/---- Thank you. When I tell young people what it was like in the day - they shake their heads and say I'm exaggerating or just making it up. And they ask what is a rotary phone anyway?

And you used to be able to go in and modify the dos ini commands and get it to do what you want, not all this BS you'll never use and they won't let you kill.

The good old days.

/---- My first computer was a Tandy 286 I bought for $300 from my neighbor who upgraded to the new 386. I couldn't afford the new ones so I made do with his used ones as he frantically upgraded with each new model. BY 1986 I
Ah yes, those were the days. Computers were just that, computers. Not bloated with God knows what software that is wreaking havoc on the machine and our nerves :confused-84:

One can buy and maintain a computer that doesn't have "bloat-ware." I've bought several PCs from the linked vendor. None of them came with "bloat-ware." I've been very happy with the units I've bought from them.

FWIW, I don't have any of the software-related problems the OP noted on any of my computers, but once in a blue moon I get the "blue circle" when navigating in Windows Explorer. Then again, I don't install a lot of "stuff" on my computers...Just the OS and the productivity software I need.
/---- My first computer was a used Tandy 286 made by Radio Shack. I bought it from my neighbor for $350 who had just upgraded to the new lighting fast 386 at over $1,200. I was always one machine behind everyone else. Eventually, in 1986, I worked for a pharmaceutical company that supplied the sales force with laptops. Soon after I could afford to buy new ones. Here is the commercial for the 286.
tandy 286.jpg

The good old days.

/---- My first computer was a Tandy 286 I bought for $300 from my neighbor who upgraded to the new 386. I couldn't afford the new ones so I made do with his used ones as he frantically upgraded with each new model. BY 1986 I

/---- My first computer was a used Tandy 286 made by Radio Shack. I bought it from my neighbor for $350 who had just upgraded to the new lighting fast 386 at over $1,200. I was always one machine behind everyone else. Eventually, in 1986, I worked for a pharmaceutical company that supplied the sales force with laptops. Soon after I could afford to buy new ones. Here is the commercial for the 286.
View attachment 122663

Okay? I don't follow how that relates to my post that you quoted, but, as I said, okay....

Try sending a two sentence email? :uhoh3: Yahoo, Gmail, all lock up half the time. "Recover Page?" FU, and lose what I typed. POS. And this website the way the ads F up the page and lock everything up?? :finger3:
I use 3 new computers, two with 12GB of Ram and high-end intel chips and websites and email lock up, blue circle of death on everything, nothing ever works for more than an hour without it brain farting.
And one other thing - when it is just idling the CPU starts pumping away like a jack rabbit on a Saturday night. WTF?

Just sayin, have you ever tried Linux?
Linuxmint sounds very much like a fit for you. Super simple/Clean/Fast

Just sayin, have you ever tried Linux?
Linuxmint sounds very much like a fit for you. Super simple/Clean/Fast
I have no idea what OS he's using but I've never had that problem with any of my Windows or Linux machines, but then again I keep mine constantly maintained.

Last edited:
A: How old are your computers?
B: What operating system(s) are you using?
C: What versions of operating system(s) are on your computers?
D: What antivirus/antimalware are you using?
E: What's the hardware configurations?
F: What Browsers are you using?
G: What third party programs do you have installed?
H: When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of the computers?
I: When's the last time you used a program like CCleaner?

Last edited:
Probably malware invasion.

They also may need a simple cleaning, fans and heat sinks clogged up, great way to get the blue screen of death and or sudden shutdowns due to CPU overheating.

The good old days.

View attachment 122663

I remember Tandy Computers.

Do you remember TI computers?

They also may need a simple cleaning, fans and heat sinks clogged up, great way to get the blue screen of death and or sudden shutdowns due to CPU overheating.
I had have huge heat problems with a defective A10-5800K but it only affected some games. I undervolted it and reduced the clock to get rid of unnerving FPS-drops in BF3 for example. But it never had any influence on any programs or websites/apps.

I had have huge heat problems with a defective A10-5800K but it only affected some games. I undervolted it and reduced the clock to get rid of unnerving FPS-drops in BF3 for example. But it never had any influence on any programs or websites/apps.
I had a CPU start going bad years ago, I wasn't keeping it as clean as I should have and would get freeze ups and sudden shut downs until I replaced it.

I had a CPU start going bad years ago, I wasn't keeping it as clean as I should have and would get freeze ups and sudden shut downs until I replaced it.
Must have thwarted the cooling in a massive way, then.

I was high end, this was my first computer:

compaq-portable_iii.jpg

Compaq portable 286 386, two 5.25" floppy drives, and the monochrome orange screen.

EDIT... wait... I think that's a 386... SIGH checking. hmmm well the 286 portable isn't what I had, but my 386 had the two flop drives; idk maybe the gov had special made ones.

Last edited:

What OS and software do you use?

What OS and software do you use?
Already asked, no answer........ Guess someone loves misery........ :thup:

Forum List

Back