Wilson County schools agree to stop passing out Bibles to students

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Wilson County schools agree to stop passing out Bibles to students « Nashville Is Talking

Wilson County schools have agreed to stop passing out Bibles to students after the ACLU threatened to file a lawsuit to defend constitutionally protected religious freedoms.

The ACLU threatened to file a lawsuit on behalf of a student who felt pressured to take part in an official school event where Gideon Bibles were given to school children by public school officials.

The ACLU is constantly battling public school officials across the state of Tennessee who show little regard for religious freedoms and liberties protected by the United States Constitution.

In November, the ACLU filed suit against Cheatham County Schools alleging school officials distributed Bibles in class rooms, allowed teachers to lead Christian-based prayers and school-sponsored prayers at official school events.

Well that was nice of them to decide to follow the law.

Thoughts?

Wilson County schools agree to stop passing out Bibles to students « Nashville Is Talking

Wilson County schools have agreed to stop passing out Bibles to students after the ACLU threatened to file a lawsuit to defend constitutionally protected religious freedoms.

The ACLU threatened to file a lawsuit on behalf of a student who felt pressured to take part in an official school event where Gideon Bibles were given to school children by public school officials.

The ACLU is constantly battling public school officials across the state of Tennessee who show little regard for religious freedoms and liberties protected by the United States Constitution.

In November, the ACLU filed suit against Cheatham County Schools alleging school officials distributed Bibles in class rooms, allowed teachers to lead Christian-based prayers and school-sponsored prayers at official school events.

Thoughts?

The Christian Right is so fucked up they claim persecution when they can no longer control other groups. Somewhere right now in a moldy basement
or a cheap perfume filled dusty room there is a Falwell wannabe citing this as evidence homosexuals are paying the ACLU to run covert ops to indoctrinate children:

"Today they take the Bible out of our children's hands. Tomorrow they will force them to watch Brokeback Mountain and draw rainbows!"

One gideon bible is a giant book of rolling papers. I don't see a problem here.

Thoughts?
Children should be protected from religion.

couldn't the kids have said "No thanks" to the offer of a Bible?

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. These kids are going to be exposed to religion all their lives so what's the big deal?

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. These kids are going to be exposed to religion all their lives so what's the big deal?
Would you be okay with them being given Korans?

as long as there were no repercussions for refusing, I have no problem with it

I don't understand why you are all so afraid of religion.

I'm an atheist and I am not offended by another's religious beliefs and I am not offended if someone wants to give me a bible, koran, or anything else. I just say no thank you and go on my way.

Isn't hat what "tolerance" is all about?

Last edited:

Do you think that taxpayer's money should be used to purchase aforementioned religious texts?

Why would you even think a kid's school time should be interrupted so that religious organizations could do some proselytizing?

yep .... i think children should be taught about all religions as well as aethisim ....

that way when we explain why our constitution has church and state issues in it as well as why our found documents mention god....

seems odd we only teach our kids part of the stoey and never explain the whys....

Thoughts?
School sponsored prayers are even more of a violation than handing out religious tracts.

How about giving out this book?

daddys_rommate_cover.JPG

As long as there were no repercussions for refusing....

Forum List

Back