Wilson County schools agree to stop passing out Bibles to students

Or what about this book:

the-anatchist-cookbook.jpg

You know, as long as there's no repercussion for refusal.

What student wouldnt want to read that one?:)

Question for Skull Pilot.

Let's say a school decided to spend it's budget on a bunch of Bibles and they decided to hand out a Bible to every kid.

These Bibles will not be used in class assignments, the students don't need to know or read anything about it, they're just given away to everyone for free with no explanation at all, and only the Bible. Oh and the kids are not poor so it's not a charity.

Would you consider that to be endorsing it? I would because it would seem like they're trying to get people to read and believe in it.

Just saying that a Bible can be studied and analyzed in a public classroom and as long as they aren't preaching I don't have a problem with that.

Since the Wilson County schools have agreed to stop passing out Bibles to students it looks like they agree that what they were doing was unconstitutional.

Really? Because it looks like they realized they couldnt afford a long drawn out lawsuit.

couldn't the kids have said "No thanks" to the offer of a Bible?

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. These kids are going to be exposed to religion all their lives so what's the big deal?

Yeah but government can't and shouldn't sponsor a religion.

How is giving someone a book sponsoring a religion?

Question for Skull Pilot.

Let's say a school decided to spend it's budget on a bunch of Bibles and they decided to hand out a Bible to every kid.

These Bibles will not be used in class assignments, the students don't need to know or read anything about it, they're just given away to everyone for free with no explanation at all, and only the Bible. Oh and the kids are not poor so it's not a charity.

Would you consider that to be endorsing it? I would because it would seem like they're trying to get people to read and believe in it.

Just saying that a Bible can be studied and analyzed in a public classroom and as long as they aren't preaching I don't have a problem with that.

I didn't see in the article that the school paid for the bibles. That may be an assumption on your part. the bibles could have been donated for the purpose of distribution. The Gideons are famous for giving away bibles.

Wilson County schools agree to stop passing out Bibles to students « Nashville Is Talking

Wilson County schools have agreed to stop passing out Bibles to students after the ACLU threatened to file a lawsuit to defend constitutionally protected religious freedoms.

The ACLU threatened to file a lawsuit on behalf of a student who felt pressured to take part in an official school event where Gideon Bibles were given to school children by public school officials.

The ACLU is constantly battling public school officials across the state of Tennessee who show little regard for religious freedoms and liberties protected by the United States Constitution.

In November, the ACLU filed suit against Cheatham County Schools alleging school officials distributed Bibles in class rooms, allowed teachers to lead Christian-based prayers and school-sponsored prayers at official school events.

Well that was nice of them to decide to follow the law.

Thoughts?

I am so amazed that people are so afraid of the Bible that they don't want their kids to even come near it.

Bunch of dopes...No one is forced to take one. They could throw it away when they get it. What a bunch of weak people.

Bibles were the very first text books in America, and now it is not even allowed in the school.

God help America.

I for one take it with me wherever I go. However, I carry it in my heart. I speak it everywhere, and it proclaims love and justice at the same time. It does condemn sin, but it also directs the sinner to a place where forgiveness and redemption can be gotten.

As I teach in the schools, I am always speaking of the Word of God. However, it doesn't sound like the Word because it is what is hidden in my heart and expresses itself, as all the Bible writers did, in the language of the people at the time and according to what they know and understand. In doing so, it never deviated from the truth, even when some facts were a little confused.

I know most people cannot understand that, however, that does not change the truth.

Thanks Giddeons, for your awesome work over the years. God bless you.

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. These kids are going to be exposed to religion all their lives so what's the big deal?
Would you be okay with them being given Korans?

yep .... i think children should be taught about all religions as well as aethisim ....

that way when we explain why our constitution has church and state issues in it as well as why our found documents mention god....

seems odd we only teach our kids part of the stoey and never explain the whys....
I have no problem seeing religion taught as a cultural issue. But that isn't what was being done in this case.

Really? Because it looks like they realized they couldnt afford a long drawn out lawsuit.

Irrelevant, because if they won then they could easily countersue for the ACLU to pay for lawyer fees.

It's hardly irrelevant. Getting legal fees is not as easy as you seem to think it is. In fact, it's pretty darn difficult.

Now, are you going to fork over tons of money on the chance that you might be able to get legal fees later? or are you going to spend the money you have on educating young people.

They chose the latter. I dont blame them at all.

I thought he was referring to all their actions (sponsoring Christian prayers etc) not just handing out a book.

I am so amazed that people are so afraid of the Bible that they don't want their kids to even come near it.

Bunch of dopes...No one is forced to take one. They could throw it away when they get it. What a bunch of weak people.

Bibles were the very first text books in America, and now it is not even allowed in the school.

God help America.

I for one take it with me wherever I go. However, I carry it in my heart. I speak it everywhere, and it proclaims love and justice at the same time. It does condemn sin, but it also directs the sinner to a place where forgiveness and redemption can be gotten.

As I teach in the schools, I am always speaking of the Word of God. However, it doesn't sound like the Word because it is what is hidden in my heart and expresses itself, as all the Bible writers did, in the language of the people at the time and according to what they know and understand. In doing so, it never deviated from the truth, even when some facts were a little confused.

I know most people cannot understand that, however, that does not change the truth.

Thanks Giddeons, for your awesome work over the years. God bless you.

What's even more amazing is most of them have never read the Bible so they really dont know what they are objecting to.

I think there would be much less hostility between people concerning religion if people made and honest attempt to understand all religions the best they can.

You know damn well why this is being challenged, and it isn't because someone's offended by it.

Yeah, that's exactly why its being challenged.

I wish more people would actually read books. It would be nice.

No one has a right not to be offended, however there's legal precedent saying schools cannot sponsor religions.

Sheesh if you're unsure why they challenged it you can read the damn article where they said why.

Since the Wilson County schools have agreed to stop passing out Bibles to students it looks like they agree that what they were doing was unconstitutional.

Particularly when their lawyers would have told them they had no chance of winning since they had so blatantly broken the law.

Last edited:
Anyone else surprised the religious folks are trying to ignore the sponsored prayer and pretend this is only about passing out Bibles?

From the article:

"The ACLU threatened to file a lawsuit on behalf of a student who felt pressured to take part in an official school event where Gideon Bibles were given to school children by public school officials. The ACLU is constantly battling public school officials across the state of Tennessee who show little regard for religious freedoms and liberties protected by the United States Constitution.
In November, the ACLU filed suit against Cheatham County Schools alleging school officials distributed Bibles in class rooms, allowed teachers to lead Christian-based prayers and school-sponsored prayers at official school events."

And there is the problem. We are talking about book distrubution, which is what this thread is about. You are discussing the other stuff that was going on.

Though quite honestly, it be nice to see the federal government get its head out of local issues. Schools should remain in control of their local jurisdictions.

Anyone else surprised the religious folks are trying to ignore the sponsored prayer and pretend this is only about passing out Bibles?
To be fair...the school sponsored prayer was taking place in a different school system...not the one that was passing out bibles.

And there is the problem. We are talking about book distrubution, which is what this thread is about. You are discussing the other stuff that was going on.

Though quite honestly, it be nice to see the federal government get its head out of local issues. Schools should remain in control of their local jurisdictions.
Why would a local jurisdiction be allowed to violate the US Constitution?

Forum List

Back