will Irene force Obama to cut his vac. short?

New news? I checked a couple of hours ago, and her path was uncertain.

actually, with hurricanes, the poath is pretty much uncertain by the hour.

But the cone of uncertainty has the entire eastern seaboard on alert..

I live in western Nassau County, Long Island....and according to the weather channel, Western Nassau County is expecting a direct hit by most of the computer models....and the ocean is about 2 miles from my house with a canal aboiut 100 feet away.

Not much I can do but ensure my wife and I have plenty of candles and several bottles of Merlot....

I'd mention the need for batteries as well, but you never know if kids read this sight....:eusa_angel:

/chortle

You stay safe, mister.

Thanks. We toyed with the idea of heading west for the weekend....but I think it best to stick around. We have some seniors next door to us who count on our help during snow storms and with my training, I may be needed if there are structural collpases in my community.
Suggested to my wife that she should head to a resort in western Pa we go to from time to time...but she said she preferred being with me.
Hey...whats a little wind and rain amongst friends anyway?

Actually, whether it be 70 days in 2 years or 180 days in 2 years......how many of us get that?

I know..I know...he has a tough job.

Well...when I was younger, I was working 70 and 80 hour weeks and had the concern of dozens of employees......but back then I was lucky to get a day off a month.

The days include weekends and holidays

Obama usually takes two weeks in August and a week at Christmas and the conservatives whine like hell

Wrong. The far right whines like hell...just as the far left whined like hell about anything GWB did.

Conservatives, such as myslef never criticized his vacationing. We criticized his judgement as to where he vacationed during a time where we are all to be tightening our belts.

Even Clinton chose Montana....Bush chose his ranch in Texas.

Obama choise a spot that is known to cater to the elitists of the country.

You mean elitist like a private compound in Kennebunkport?

Obama usually takes two weeks in August and a week at Christmas and the conservatives whine like hell

Wrong. The far right whines like hell...just as the far left whined like hell about anything GWB did.

Conservatives, such as myslef never criticized his vacationing. We criticized his judgement as to where he vacationed during a time where we are all to be tightening our belts.

You mean elitist like a private compound in Kennebunkport?

lol...yep.

Hey, listen...putting the rhetoric and partisan crap aside...the man just asked the american people for permission to raise the debt ceiling...saying that if we dont, he may not allow the sending out of SS checks to our seniors.

It was just poor judgement to then say "adios, off to Martha's Vinyard."

Think of the message he would have sent if he said "in light of our economic situation, Michelle and I have decided to cut down the cost of our much needed vacation to the American people and have opted to spend qulaity time at Camp David."

Actually, whether it be 70 days in 2 years or 180 days in 2 years......how many of us get that?

I know..I know...he has a tough job.

Well...when I was younger, I was working 70 and 80 hour weeks and had the concern of dozens of employees......but back then I was lucky to get a day off a month.

I vacationed in Edgartown, Martha's Vinyard, for 9 years in a row...every year that i lived in massachusetts, we always made time to vacation there....and I NEVER EVER considered Matt and me "elitists"..... :D

It's a lovely place...where I live now in Maine, is just like Martha's Vinyard.....the beauty is off the charts imho!

Didn't President Clinton always go to Martha's Vinyard on vacation too?

And also, it seems STRANGE to me that you are thinking people that go to nice places to vacation, are some sort of elitists COMPARED to people like president Bush who OWNED A DARN RANCH BIGGER than the entire island of martha's vinyard as someone who is NOT ELITIST, or a person like Bush 1 who owns a vacation compound and an island off of Kennebunkport in Maine that he went for his presidential vacations...NOT AN ELITIST....

just think about it Jarhead....that kind of thinking is just silly to me.....unless you have another meaning for the word "elitist" that I am unaware of....????

I vacationed in Edgartown, Martha's Vinyard, for 9 years in a row...every year that i lived in massachusetts, we always made time to vacation there....and I NEVER EVER considered Matt and me "elitists"..... :D

It's a lovely place...where I live now in Maine, is just like Martha's Vinyard.....the beauty is off the charts imho!

And also, it seems STRANGE to me that you are thinking people that go to nice places to vacation, are some sort of elitists COMPARED to people like president Bush who OWNED A DARN RANCH BIGGER than the entire island of martha's vinyard as someone who is NOT ELITIST, or a person like Bush 1 who owns a vacation compound and an island off of Kennebunkport in Maine that he went for his presidential vacations...NOT AN ELITIST....

just think about it Jarhead....that kind of thinking is just silly to me.....unless you have another meaning for the word "elitist" that I am unaware of....????

Bush 1 IS an elistist. Bush 2 is one as well.

Obama ran on a platform of being different.

As for MV....here on LI, MV has a reputation as a palce where the wealthy vacation.

I have nmo issue with him vacationing there. Hell...the man can afford it...why not.

But after he sat there and asked us to give him permission to raise the debt ceiling and if we dont we may not get our SS checks...it was poor judgement in my eyes to say "off to the vinyard for sun and fun".

There are times when those in the limelight must think about the message beingt sent before making certain personal decisions...it comes with the territory of being in the limelight.

As for MV....here on LI, MV has a reputation as a palce where the wealthy vacation.

I have nmo issue with him vacationing there. Hell...the man can afford it...why not.

But after he sat there and asked us to give him permission to raise the debt ceiling and if we dont we may not get our SS checks...it was poor judgement in my eyes to say "off to the vinyard for sun and fun".

There are times when those in the limelight must think about the message beingt sent before making certain personal decisions...it comes with the territory of being in the limelight.
we thought those Vacationing on Long Island (the Hamptons) was "elitist" to those of us who lived in Massachusetts! :D

It was stating that in my opinion you are trying to justify Obama's vacations by pointing to bush's vacations as the context of our conversation clearly shows you are doing. ;)

Its interesting you keep not quoting the full context....maybe more telling than interesting.

Well, there's no point in requoting all that stuff. Just wastes bandwidth. And for some reason I had to take out the url in the last one because I don't have enough posts yet to include a link.

Anyway, I'm not trying to justify Obama's vacations. As I said above, I think they've been too extravagent. But I wouldn't say they've been too numerous or that there's anything wrong with a president taking some time off.

All I wanted to do by bringing up Bush's vacations was point out that it's a little ironic for right wingers to bash Obama for taking time off when Bush took more time off than any president in history. That's it. No ulterior motive.

So we were both doing the same thing then. You were pointing out what you think is hypocrisy with people complaining about obama's vaca that didn't complain about bush's. I was pointing out what I think is hypocrisy when people try to justify obama's vacations by pointing to what bush did.

we are both doing similar things.

You must have some good paying jobs though....the vinyard is not a cheap destination for vaca at all....i've been once myself ;)

we thought those Vacationing on Long Island (the Hamptons) was "elitist" to those of us who lived in Massachusetts! :D

lol..

Actually, both the Hamptons AND the Vinyard are filled with those snobs.

A friend of mine has a 42 foot Sea Ray...a beautiful boat....he is not rich, but very comfortablethe....the four of us went out to the Hamptons and he pulled into a Marina of a restaurant...and he was told all slips are for boats with beams (width) of 20 feet or wider. There were no less than 10 slips available.....the place was half empty....but they refused us docking privelages.

All four of us (his wife, my wife and the two of us) mooned the patrons sitting on the deck drinking their margaritas as we left.

Ahhhh so because BUSH was an idiot that means its ok for obama to be a putz....i get it.

How's that justifying bad behavior going so far new guy?

Excellent strawman!

When right wingers jump on Obama for taking vacation, they're ignoring the fact that the last Republican president took a lot more vacation time than the current Democrat president. That's all.

The whole argument is silly, imo. Any president is entitled to time off like everybody else.

With all due respect, TexArcher...WHEN you take vacation is more important than how much vacation you take. I'm a manager. If I take my vacation when everything is running smoothly I don't expect to hear any criticism about doing so. If, however, I take my vacation when things are at a crisis level and the company is in trouble then I would fully expect to get heat over doing so. Bush took a lot of vacations when our economy was doing fine. Obama takes a lot of vacations when it's doing terrible. If I were the employer of the two of them I'd be having a "come to Jesus" meeting with Barack Obama asking him if he was really committed to the position he held because you don't take off when things are bad. I think most Americans understand that concept. Barack Obama either doesn't...or he doesn't care.

Ahhhh so because BUSH was an idiot that means its ok for obama to be a putz....i get it.

How's that justifying bad behavior going so far new guy?

Excellent strawman!

When right wingers jump on Obama for taking vacation, they're ignoring the fact that the last Republican president took a lot more vacation time than the current Democrat president. That's all.

The whole argument is silly, imo. Any president is entitled to time off like everybody else.

With all due respect, TexArcher...WHEN you take vacation is more important than how much vacation you take. I'm a manager. If I take my vacation when everything is running smoothly I don't expect to hear any criticism about doing so. If, however, I take my vacation when things are at a crisis level and the company is in trouble then I would fully expect to get heat over doing so. Bush took a lot of vacations when our economy was doing fine. Obama takes a lot of vacations when it's doing terrible. If I were the employer of the two of them I'd be having a "come to Jesus" meeting with Barack Obama asking him if he was really committed to the position he held because you don't take off when things are bad. I think most Americans understand that concept. Barack Obama either doesn't...or he doesn't care.

Or maybe there is not much that he can do right now with congress out of session.
The timing is not an issue in this case in my eyes.
When should he vacation? When congress is debating healthcare? Stimulus?

I understand your point....but in this case, there is absolutely noithing he could be doing to better our economic situation.

Now...if Irene hit and he left for vacation the next day?

That would be a different story.

But my guess is he will returnto the White House the day after Irene devastates the east coast...just a hunch....but I would bet my house on it.

Last edited:

I don't recall him saying he'd take a vow of poverty. Do you?

You must have some good paying jobs though....the vinyard is not a cheap destination for vaca at all....i've been once myself ;)
Yes, we had a 2 income family at that point...and jobs in Massachusetts did pay well compared to most of the places I have lived and CERTAINLY better than in Maine....now we have matt working only and at piss poor salary, so we are getting by, by the skin of our teeth! :eek:

Martha's vinyard is not that expensive....you can find ways to do it on the cheap....when we were both working we could afford to go there on the fourth of July(peak season)....and JAWS fest!

when i stopped working we went there on our Anniversary every year...this was the end of April/beginning of May and the prices were off season prices.

also, a couple of years we rented a cottage, shared with a couple of friends who went with us....and who split the costs.

We took the ferry over, which was just 12 bucks each....(not a helicopter or Marine one or Airforce one) ;)

the Hamptons in Long Island:razz: is more expensive!!

Yes, we had a 2 income family at that point...and jobs in Massachusetts did pay well compared to most of the places I have lived and CERTAINLY better than in Maine....now we have matt working only and at piss poor salary, so we are getting by, by the skin of our teeth! :eek:

Martha's vinyard is not that expensive....you can find ways to do it on the cheap....when we were both working we could afford to go there on the fourth of July(peak season)....and JAWS fest!

when i stopped working we went there on our Anniversary every year...this was the end of April/beginning of May and the prices were off season prices.

also, a couple of years we rented a cottage, shared with a couple of friends who went with us....and who split the costs.

We took the ferry over, which was just 12 bucks each....(not a helicopter or Marine one or Airforce one) ;)

the Hamptons in Long Island:razz: is more expensive!!

It probably is! I would say the same thing though if he went to tha hamptons after spending a week berating the rich ;).

Airforce one, nevermind marine one and all the job related stuff he has to bring with him on vaca, uses more money in fuel than you or I spent on our vacations ;).

It just looks bad for him to go on vaca to that type of place after spending a week on a bus tour berating the rich and right after some horrible job numbers came out again.

Its the timing and the place. I had no problems with him going to the vinyard before he started his class warfare rhetoric but now that he is engaging in it I find him vacationing there to be hypocritical. I also have no problem with him going on vacation normally...however with the jobs report that came out and the war in lybia making a turn I just think he picked a bad time to go (or stay since lybia changed up after he got there)

Nope.
And he shouldnt have.
Just use better judgement seeing as he is in the limelight.

I dont recall any star athlete taking a vow of living a pure life...
Yet many get criticized when they are seen drunk....with the criticism that "children look up to them and if they epxect the advantages of being in the limelight, then they should act as role models"

A crisis in Libya couldn't do it, the stock market collapse couldn't do it and a earthquake couldn't do it but it seems (sniff sniff) that a hurricane might spoil Barry's vacation.

Let's hope it doesn't cut his vacation short- in fact I hope he stays there until Nov. 2012-who wants him back in D.C. to do more damage?

If I have to listen to one more perfectly pronounced speech--about the same thing he has talked about for the last 4 years--I am going to vomit!

$fore.jpg

Liberals never do.. they just demand that everyone else does.

Excellent strawman!

Or maybe there is not much that he can do right now with congress out of session.
The timing is not an issue in this case in my eyes.
When should he vacation? When congress is debating healthcare? Stimulus?

I understand your point....but in this case, there is absolutely noithing he could be doing to better our economic situation.

Now...if Irene hit and he left for vacation the next day?

That would be a different story.

But my guess is he will returnto the White House the day after Irene devastates the east coast...just a hunch....but I would bet my house on it.

He's the President of the United States, Jar! If there are things to be done...and I think we all agree that there are...then he should have told Congress that he was staying until we had a coherent jobs strategy and he was asking that they stay as well. I'm sorry but this whole "what can I do?" line coming from Obama is getting tiresome. Either come up with solutions or admit that you don't have any and allow those that do to come forward.

Forum List

Back