Why Tipping Should Be Obsolete

Why does the server deserve more if they pay more per plate? It's the same work. It's not sales.

The more the restaurant charges ... The more the server makes.

Wouldn't that be the same as the employee making more money when the employer does?
The customer is going to pay the restaurant and eventually the employee whether or not they hand the money to the employee.

From experience in the food and leisure industry ... There is something to say about folks who get 15% tips.
You suck anyway and should try another job when one comes along.

Servers don't deserve a tip at all ... But they should get one if they earn it.
Sure there are customers who will stiff you, or don't know what and how to tip ... Maybe they are just cheap.
It shouldn't set you so far off your game a regular customer cannot make up for more than what you lost with the stiff.

Finally ... Food served is sales.
Severs most certainly sell the kitchen and a good server can sell the customer just about anything.

I had a fairly plain(being nice here) SIL who raked in $100 a night weeknights, and $200-300 on Saturday night in college.

But she was smart and wanted a career, and gave up tables for teaching, earning a PhD, and a very, very comfortable retirement.
Mine got on the internet and reeled in a guy from England and lives off of him now.
Strange shit happens on the internet.

I was a hermit in the woods, and a sophisticated, educated, talented young lady took a shine to me.

I still can't get over it!!!!

I had a fairly plain(being nice here) SIL who raked in $100 a night weeknights, and $200-300 on Saturday night in college.

But she was smart and wanted a career, and gave up tables for teaching, earning a PhD, and a very, very comfortable retirement.
Mine got on the internet and reeled in a guy from England and lives off of him now.

I was a hermit in the woods, and a sophisticated, educated, talented young lady took a shine to me.

Lmao

I'll have to try it again someday when my brain heals from the last one.

Why does the server deserve more if they pay more per plate? It's the same work. It's not sales.

The more the restaurant charges ... The more the server makes.

Wouldn't that be the same as the employee making more money when the employer does?
The customer is going to pay the restaurant and eventually the employee whether or not they hand the money to the employee.

From experience in the food and leisure industry ... There is something to say about folks who get 15% tips.
You suck anyway and should try another job when one comes along.

Servers don't deserve a tip at all ... But they should get one if they earn it.
Sure there are customers who will stiff you, or don't know what and how to tip ... Maybe they are just cheap.
It shouldn't set you so far off your game a regular customer cannot make up for more than what you lost with the stiff.

Finally ... Food served is sales.
Severs most certainly sell the kitchen and a good server can sell the customer just about anything.

I have a former FIL, worth mid 8 figures($50 million or so).

Cheap bastard has a tip calculator card he carries with him.

He will not overtip five cents.

I hate tipping, and if alone, I do not eat out at places that require tipping.

That said, with my GF, I always let her fill out the tip on the credit card receipt and she tips generously whether they deserve it or not.

What I don't get, it the tip being based on the price of the meal.

No more work required to serve the highest item on the menu than to serve the cheaper ones.

My GF likes expensive ass sushi, while I can settle for soup and a salad.

That runs the tip way up, for the same amount of service.

I think it is demeaning to the customer and to the waitstaff.

It is a custom that should be abolished by applying the same minimum wage to all workers.

I'll have to try it again someday when my brain heals from the last one.
This one is keeping me until she wears me out, then, giving me to my kids.

Hey, I appreciate the honesty.

I have a former FIL, worth mid 8 figures($50 million or so).

Cheap bastard has a tip calculator card he carries with him.

He will not overtip five cents.

I hate tipping, and if alone, I do not eat out at places that require tipping.

That said, with my GF, I always let her fill out the tip on the credit card receipt and she tips generously whether they deserve it or not.

What I don't get, it the tip being based on the price of the meal.

No more work required to serve the highest item on the menu than to serve the cheaper ones.

My GF likes expensive ass sushi, while I can settle for soup and a salad.

That runs the tip way up, for the same amount of service.

I think it is demeaning to the customer and to the waitstaff.

It is a custom that should be abolished by applying the same minimum wage to all workers.

I don't know ... I guess the easiest way to put it is that a server shouldn't rely on one customer or the employer for tips.
It is about service ... And if all you do is deliver a plate, then you get what you get.
If someone doesn't want to tip, they will get the same basic service the job requires.

As both a bartender and server during my days in the industry ... I appreciated tips, made a killing from good customers and gave good service to everyone.
People who stumble over the idea of tips just need to understand that the people working for tips don't need your help if they are any good.

I had uncashed piddling paychecks from the business in my glove compartment because I was bringing home $200-300 a night in cash tips.
Not everyone tipped, and not everyone wanted to ... I never made them.
All the places I worked would fire you if you said anything about a bad tip while on the floor.

Best tip I ever made was $500 tip on a $7 Charter & Water.
Fuck minimum wage ... And I don't care if everyone wants to tip or not ... If you don't want to, then don't tip.
If people want to outlaw tipping ... Then that just supports their desire not to, and the desire to reward servers who fail to do well in the system.

Take the tips away and there would have been no reason for me to work in the industry at a minimum job, doing minimum shit, for minimum wages ... Get your own damn food if you want the minimum, or at least don't expect any kind of decent service because good workers don't do the minimum for minimum.

Edit ... I was a $493 tip, he paid for the drink as well.

Last edited:
The tipping system is great. It's a social contract that works out well in society. How many people usually get good, friendly service at restaurants? I do, and most people do. It's because of tipping that that is the case.

I would rather be served by someone who receives tips than one who doesn't. My service will be better. I also like a salesperson working on commission or a combination of commission and salary. They know more about what they are selling and will share that knowledge with you. They try harder to make the sale and you learn more about what it is you are considering purchasing. These type of people are not lazy. The lazy or non-caring ones don't make it. However, give them a monetary incentive and they will try harder if they are trying to make a living or enhance their lifestyles. Everybody wins.

All I really want is for someone to hand me a menu, which should really be on the table in the first place. Take my order to the kitchen and bring the food without spilling it on me and leave me alone while I eat. I think the difference with some is to them dining out is a bit of a royalty for the night event and want the dedicated performance of being waiting on.

All I really want is for someone to hand me a menu, which should really be on the table in the first place. Take my order to the kitchen and bring the food without spilling it on me and leave me alone while I eat. I think the difference with some is to them dining out is a bit of a royalty for the night event and want the dedicated performance of being waiting on.

I think some people are just cheap, regardless of how they perceive being waited upon.

I think some people are just cheap, regardless of how they perceive being waited upon.

It may depend on where you eat as well.
Not everyone eats at "a la carte" restaurants where service is as much of the experience as the outstanding food is.
Screw it ... If I ask the waiter to recommend a decent Riesling or Gewurztraminer to go with dinner ... They better know what they are talking about.

If they do ... And I enjoy their assistance, they will be rewarded for their help.
To me ... I don't care what the guy sitting at the table next to me wants or thinks about tips ... That's his problem.

Edit:
If you like going to the same places that make the same great food, and are known to tip well if served properly ... Then you may as well be royalty, because royalty wouldn't be treated any better or get better service.

Last edited:

Lol. That is what I want when I go out to eat. That is why I go out to dinner. I get waited on and somebody else cleans up and serves me. That is a real treat for those of us who have to cook dinner every night. :)

Definitely. Lol. Goes without saying. :D

Cheap people are always cheap people, I've met many and worked for more than a few. I could write a book. You think it's all about perception? No difference in service?

Lol. That is what I want when I go out to eat. That is why I go out to dinner. I get waited on and somebody else cleans up and serves me. That is a real treat for those of us who have to cook dinner every night. :)
It's why many or most go out to eat. It's more expensive, by a wide margin, you have to drive there, maybe wait around, etc. I didn't say there was something wrong with it.

It's a social contract that works. If you receive adequate service you tip appropriately. If you receive substandard service than you tip less, or if the service doesn't meet the very basic level - you don't tip. Now if the tipping system is eliminated then the employers would be forced to pay thier employees higher wages, which will in turn get passed on to the customers, and then they'll be no extra incentive for the employees to provide top notch service, so the quality of service will inevitably get diluted.

If you don't want to pay for a fine dining experience, stick to Taco Bell, and you won't be required to tip. But, in my opinion, the service is part of the dining experience. I'm prepared to pay for it in a nice restaurant. If I want to serve myself, I'll eat at home.

Or chick fil a. Yum.

Forum List

Back