Why the MLB All-Star Game Should be Dropped

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
(1) Meaningless game. No actual teams involved. Results don't count for anything.
(2) Based on meaningless performance - first half of the season, which is the less-important half and ignores the critical games at the end of the season.
(3) Voters are mainly 12-year-old boys. Who gives a shit what they think?
(4) It is truly a popularity contest, usually dominated by players on the large market teams.
(5) Voting ignores the input of knowledgeable baseball people (players and coaches).
(6) Coached like a Little League game; everybody gets in, hopefully gets a turn at bat. Managers could not care less who wins.

Imagine being named, say, the best Second Baseman in the league, based on a vote by MLB players, coaches, and managers. Now THAT would be something to be proud of. Compare that with being named to the current All-Star team. Pitchers are used little enough that it won't impact their place in the rotation on their actual teams. It is a joke.

Drop it. Give the players a few days off during the rest of the season. It is an un-funny joke.

I am a 12 year Yankee fan - I do not miss very many games until August or September. I have never cared about the All-Star Game. May have listened or watched one or two, but cannot remember.

I think the players like it, because of the lore of their childhood, and they probably have contract incentives, as well.

I would be interested to see how your voting scheme would turn out. I think the problem would be that the players are not going to appreciate being passed-over by their teammates, coaches, and managers.:confused:

MLB makes too much money to disband it.

Last edited:
(1) Meaningless game. No actual teams involved. Results don't count for anything.
(2) Based on meaningless performance - first half of the season, which is the less-important half and ignores the critical games at the end of the season.
(4) It is truly a popularity contest, usually dominated by players on the large market teams.
(5) Voting ignores the input of knowledgeable baseball people (players and coaches).
(6) Coached like a Little League game; everybody gets in, hopefully gets a turn at bat. Managers could not care less who wins.

Imagine being named, say, the best Second Baseman in the league, based on a vote by MLB players, coaches, and managers. Now THAT would be something to be proud of. Compare that with being named to the current All-Star team. Pitchers are used little enough that it won't impact their place in the rotation on their actual teams. It is a joke.

Drop it. Give the players a few days off during the rest of the season. It is an un-funny joke.
Baseball All Stars are an institutional favorite.

Buzz killer. Go talk about hockey or something else.

How is it different than ever other "all star" game in professional sports?

Great post. The only thing I would change is to not "drop it". Here is what I'd do (your selections are all great by the way):
  1. Make it a Monday-Friday celebration with the game on Tuesday. It seems to me that most players would rather have the three days off instead of the honor of playing in the meaningless game. So give the players that play in the game 3 days off as well.
  2. Expand the rosters to 40 players for each team. Currently there are 20 position players and 12 pitchers. Make it 25 and 15 so there are fewer snubs. Since nobody really cares about the game, nobody should really be upset that some players are making the team while others are not.
    • I'd have 3 position players and 2 pitchers out of the 8 new spots filled by a HOF committee who appoints a "favorite" to play an inning or two. Like imagine they were having it in Fenway Park this year instead of Dodger Stadium. I think the fans there would love to see the HOF committee appoint someone like Big Poppy or another not-too-distant retiree be able to get up there and take some swings. I don't mean someone who played with Yaz or Fisk but put someone who isn't eligible, a local favorite, a recently retired superstar, a magnetic personality, or someone who was clearly snubbed who is still current on the field for the spectacle of it.
  3. Let the manager decide who starts. Currently, the starting line up is determined by the fan's vote and the reserves are selected by a player ballot and a commissioner's office. The manager should be able to pick who starts and who doesn't....thats what managers do. Remove any clause from contracts that has a start-in-the-all-star-game clause and replace it with being selected.
Again, great post. If they did drop it...I wouldn't miss it.

I would definitely have more time off for players. Maybe have top prospects of each baseball team play on their home-field‘s for a few games to give us some entertainment.

( Red Sox talk prospects take on the Yankees top prospects for a five game series)

keep the All-Star game it’s great for kids, I would probably eliminate Dominican players, and other rude cultures. Kids shouldn’t grow up idolizing people that won’t be in this country here when I take over.

Maybe run it like a real game. Short roster, allow managers to try to win. As for rotations, fuck it. If the best pitcher is needed for 100 pitches in the All-Star game, then do it.

Forum List

Back