Why the Electoral College matters.

What an odd view of history you have. Compromise is how the nation worked for more than two hundred years. You declare all Republican ideals to be truth. That is a curious conclusion. Republicans for example embraced and endorsed free trade. The argument that trade was always good and profitable and that was that. Yet Trump has gone against this so called truth. So what Republican truth is the real truth? Is trade always a force for good profitable capitalism or is it a threat to American workers?

Mt friend I do not declare Republicans are the ideal. I understand I may come across that way so let me say now I do not believe the Republicans are ideal. I believe the Democrats are pure evil. But that doesnt imply the Republicans are saints. My admiration of Trump comes from his ability to crush Republican naysayers as well as Democrat. When Lindsey graham, Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz, Mitt Romney, the Bushes and their ilk came out against Trump he didnt compromise with them. He defeated them. I knew he was the guy for the job then.
As far as free trade it can be both at the same time...a source of profit and bad for workers. I wont try and solve that. Trump, the leader of our party, seems to have protectionist tendencies. Im generally against that but like so many people i do think free trade ha led to some problems. The Republicans will have to decide one way or another.
But Republicans meeting in the middle on trade is much different that meeting these kooky liberals half way as you advise. I was elected to my Republican Parish Steering Committee twice and appointed once to fill an unexpired term and elected once more to our State Central Committee. Years ago. The compromises we made there were compromises with people of good faith. Democrats dont meet that criteria.

and today, we have small states that worry that the votes in large cities will outweigh their wants and needs.

Which is why they will never get rid of the EV

the ec is a safe guard against crooks like hillary clinton

it worked perfectly well

The President is not the President of the American People. S/He is not the President of the assorted cities. S/He is the President of the United States. The Electoral College is the process in which the States choose a President. This system was started to limit the power of states which were densely populated. The smaller states really liked this as they had some small effect in the election instead of being dictated to by the larger states.

But let's consider the alternative. Do we change the title of the job? We can't really pretend the States picked the President if we go with popular vote now can we? Do we allow the states to decide who votes? In some states convicts who are out of prison and have completed parole and probation are granted their voting rights again. If we go to popular vote can we allow these people to vote, or deny them the right to vote based on a state law that affects the choice for election of the Peoples President?

How about Voter ID. You do realize that the requirement for a voter ID could well be put into the amendment. The way and times that a vote is cast could also be included in the amendment. If we are going to be considering one constitutional change, what makes you think we won't address them all or even just several. Before you start screaming that it is unconstitutional remember we are talking about a Constitutional Amendment which if it is ratified is automatically Constitutional. The Supreme Court can't do a thing about it.

If Republicans agree to go to the Popular vote but demand Federally Approved identification be checked by a voting official prior to casting a vote would you agree?

That is really what we are talking about, putting our entire Electoral standards up for negotiation.

All so we can further amend the Constitution to show that the one who wins is the People's President. But not the President of the United States. Because the States would be little more than districts.
This is why why the electoral college matters. When half the US population lives in just 146 counties out of 3000+ you can't let that small number of counties dictate the election to the rest.

Half Of The United States Lives In These Counties

We are going to keep the electoral college even if it does hurt the Democrats strategy. And we are most certainly going to abide by it this election. Typical Democrap crybabies...change the rules because they lost? Not likely.

What an odd view of history you have. Compromise is how the nation worked for more than two hundred years. You declare all Republican ideals to be truth. That is a curious conclusion. Republicans for example embraced and endorsed free trade. The argument that trade was always good and profitable and that was that. Yet Trump has gone against this so called truth. So what Republican truth is the real truth? Is trade always a force for good profitable capitalism or is it a threat to American workers?

Mt friend I do not declare Republicans are the ideal. I understand I may come across that way so let me say now I do not believe the Republicans are ideal. I believe the Democrats are pure evil. But that doesnt imply the Republicans are saints. My admiration of Trump comes from his ability to crush Republican naysayers as well as Democrat. When Lindsey graham, Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz, Mitt Romney, the Bushes and their ilk came out against Trump he didnt compromise with them. He defeated them. I knew he was the guy for the job then.
As far as free trade it can be both at the same time...a source of profit and bad for workers. I wont try and solve that. Trump, the leader of our party, seems to have protectionist tendencies. Im generally against that but like so many people i do think free trade ha led to some problems. The Republicans will have to decide one way or another.
But Republicans meeting in the middle on trade is much different that meeting these kooky liberals half way as you advise. I was elected to my Republican Parish Steering Committee twice and appointed once to fill an unexpired term and elected once more to our State Central Committee. Years ago. The compromises we made there were compromises with people of good faith. Democrats dont meet that criteria.

My example of meeting the liberals halfway was on marijuana. Now that example was one in which many liberals, as well as libertarian leaning people feel should be addressed.

You could argue that it is the first step to legalize drugs and that's why we should oppose it. But let me ask you a question. If our goal is to reduce or eliminate the drug abuse why haven't we done a damned thing to achieve that goal. Law and order Republicans want life sentences for first offenders. Death penalty for dealers. All that nonsense.

Seriously for a moment. What would happen if we did legalize all drugs? The drug trade would end. Product liability lawsuits would bankrupt the cartels in no time flat. Instead of thugs and gunmen the cartels would hire armies of lawyers who would try to explain how it is perfectly safe to pour raw gasoline on the drugs during processing. The Government would save billions every year. Gang bangers would be reduced to selling knock off shoes and handbags.

Seriously it would be cheaper for the government to buy the drugs if we were looking at a cheaper option.

That is what compromise is. Looking at the issues and discussing it with an open mind and looking for alternative solutions. You would have some powerful objections from those who profit on the war on drugs. But in the end we would save a fortune in taxpayer dollars.

I still don't understand. Drugs are legal or illegal. What's the half way point? Going all the way over to their position?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

And I dont lean libertarian even in the slightest. Not does the mainstream of the GOP. Libertarians use the GOP as a vehicle because their own wacky party..right here... never gets anywhere.

Forum List

Back