'Why Study Philosophy'

Do you think that "a liberal arts education" is just a matter of reading a bunch of stuff?

It's your position that one cannot master the material in a liberal arts curriculum without attending college.

Prove your point then we can proceed. After all with that expensive education that you couldn't get anywhere but a college you should be able to right?

I asked you a question. That you are unwilling to answer is just one more piece of evidence that you do not understand what learning really is. You are proving the point, but you are too dim-witted to realize it. No surprise there.

I asked you to prove your point and you can't. No surprise there.

Too bad you consistently ruin your own good points made in a post. :(

You are right on Carl Yung[sic], but then you go off the rails with your poor understanding of learning entails. Many people who have degrees have learned shit, that is true. Not everyone who takes up liberal arts learns everything, but I've met more phony's who have paid people to take tests in courses that were specialized, not lib arts.

Not everyone can learn on their own. Even fewer people learn well on their own.

That's just an excuse.

That attitude is drilled into every kid's head from day one and it's pure bullshit.

The thing you all leave out is desire. A person of average intelligence can teach himself anything if he has the desire to do so.

And liberal arts curriculum is the easiest place to start.

The problem is the will not the ability.

Ahh, now you move the goal post a little bit to the left. :cool:

So you think it's impossible to master the subject matter in a liberal arts curriculum without attending college?

There is no need at all to go to college to study liberal arts.

You can do it on your own for free. The funny thing is that the public is convinced that they have to spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to read a book.

Tens of millions do it daily.
Just watch Fox or listen to talk radio.

Since when is the idiot box a liberal arts course?

I suspect that many of the board's detractors of liberal arts education are not themselves very educated and are basically guessing what the term really means.

For those of you who imagine that Libral Arts education is entirely something on can get by reading?

Try reading Husseral without having a professor in philosophy to help you get it.

Based on the ignorance I see getting a pass from some here?

Its pretty clear that many of you haven't a clue how to think logically.

The number one lesson of liberal education is how to get past all the magical thinking that so many of this boards people count on to create their world views.

that isn't to say that liberal arts does not also fall victim to magical thinking.

In economics for example, the invisible hand of the market is a pretty good example of magical thinking.

In theory it isn't magical thinking, of course, but the world is not a theory, its a de facto reality.

And the basic premise of the invisible hand of the market is based on the magical thinking theory (usually unstated) that every person is an informed person motivated by their own self interests to make the correct decisions.

If that were true?

There would be NO STOCK MARKET, nop bubbles, no economic problems at all.

Now how can I know that?

Logic, kid. Simple logic.

I suspect that many of the board's detractors of liberal arts education are not themselves very educated and are basically guessing what the term really means.

For those of you who imagine that Libral Arts education is entirely something on can get by reading?

Try reading Husseral without having a professor in philosophy to help you get it.

There are endless sources you can find that will do that. Why settle for one professor's opinion when you can get multiple opinions for free?

There is nothing in an undergraduate liberal arts curriculum that cannot be learned outside of a university.

Hey Skullfuck, do you think that a liberal arts education is just a matter of reading a bunch of stuff?

Hey Skullfuck, do you think that a liberal arts education is just a matter of reading a bunch of stuff?

Hey Ukunthair prove your position and I'll answer your question.

BTW there is a difference between reading and studying

Answer my question and the position will prove itself. I think you realize at this point that you are full of shit but you don't want to come right out and admit it.

Answer my question and the position will prove itself. I think you realize at this point that you are full of shit but you don't want to come right out and admit it.

The only thing you'll miss if you study on your own are the boring lectures 3 days a week.

If you give me all the course materials for any bachelor degree program including sources used outside the required texts I will be able to pass the course with an above average grade.

It' ain't difficult.

So it's settled. You have no fucking idea what learning is or what a liberal arts education is intended to be or impart. You are an ignorant fool flapping your gums about something you don't understand.

Last edited:
Given his miconceptions and severe limitations, an idiot like Skullfuck would absolutely be wasting his time in a degree program because he would be incapable of understanding why he is there or what he could get out of actually learning. His disability should not be assumed as applying to everyone. A hopeless case like Skullfuck could sit in a library until the end of time and he would not 'learn' a damn thing.

Given his miconceptions and severe limitations, an idiot like Skullfuck would absolutely be wasting his time in a degree program because he would be incapable of understanding why he is there or what he could get out of actually learning. His disability should not be assumed as applying to everyone. A hopeless case like Skullfuck could sit in a library until the end of time and he would not 'learn' a damn thing.

FYI I have 2 bachelors degrees, A BS in electrical engineering, a BA in Management and an MBA
Just because you have to be told what things mean by a teacher does not mean everyone else is a stupid as you.

Tell me what I'm missing if i can achieve passing grades in all the coursework required for a degree in any liberal arts curriculum via independent study?

The answer is nothing.

FYI I have 2 bachelors degrees, A BS in electrical engineering, a BA in Management and an MBA
Just because you have to be told what things mean by a teacher does not mean everyone else is a stupid as you.

Tell me what I'm missing if i can achieve passing grades in all the coursework required for a degree in any liberal arts curriculum via independent study?

The answer is nothing.

What you are missing is the actual point of a real education. Just because you wasted your time and money doesn't mean that everyone does.

The answer is nothing.

What you are missing is the actual point of a real education. Just because you wasted your time and money doesn't mean that everyone does.

All education is "real".

So tell me if i can pass every test required to get a degree without ever going to class, then how is some sheep who sat through 3 lectures a week more educated than I if we both demonstrate the same mastery of the subject?

BTW he's not but you go ahead and try to prove your point. I could use a laugh.

So tell me if i can pass every test required to get a degree without ever going to class, then how is some sheep who sat through 3 lectures a week more educated than I if we both demonstrate the same mastery of the subject?

You shouldn't be able to pass the course that way because you would not have demonstrated mastery of the subject. You shouldn't need this explained to you, moron. Congratulations on having wasted so much time and money. No wonder why you're such a bitter douchebag.

That's just an excuse.

That attitude is drilled into every kid's head from day one and it's pure bullshit.

The thing you all leave out is desire. A person of average intelligence can teach himself anything if he has the desire to do so.

And liberal arts curriculum is the easiest place to start.

The problem is the will not the ability.

So you think it's impossible to master the subject matter in a liberal arts curriculum without attending college?

For the average Joe, yes. For really intelligent people with good critical thinking skills, probably unless they have friends outside of their solitary existence.

Most education has a component that is built in that is all about learning and experiencing alongside others

You shouldn't be able to pass the course that way because you would not have demonstrated mastery of the subject. You shouldn't need this explained to you, moron. Congratulations on having wasted so much time and money. No wonder why you're such a bitter douchebag.

You still haven't told me how sitting in a lecture 3 days a week makes some idiot who gets lower grades than I do more educated.

You can't do it can you?

I'm starting to suspect that you are a teacher.

For the average Joe, yes. For really intelligent people with good critical thinking skills, probably unless they have friends outside of their solitary existence.

Most education has a component that is built in that is all about learning and experiencing alongside others

It must be tough having such limited faith in your abilities.

Look here

A free course from MIT on logic. Yale, Harvard, Notre Dame, Tufts, Stanford and Johns Hopkins offer courses as well. All for free.

Logic I | Linguistics and Philosophy | MIT OpenCourseWare

Buy the text, read the lecture notes, do the assignments and you will learn everything the students at MIT learned for free.

Too bad you all think you're too stupid to try it.

You still haven't told me how sitting in a lecture 3 days a week makes some idiot who gets lower grades than I do more educated.

Participating in the class, asking questions, attending group sessions (often mandatory in such courses) moderated by a T.A. and interacting with other like-minded scholars to sharpen and develop real understanding of the material, and demonstrating an ability to communicate effectively about the subject at hand are all part of LEARNING. You seem proud of yourself for knowing how to READ. You also seem quite bitter about all the time and money you obviously wasted. You are a fool, and you want to insist that everyone else be one as well.

Forum List

Back