Why smug atheists are wrong

People without God in their lives cannot comprehend what they're missing...except to feel the ache and misery that humans separated from God must feel.

I did have God in my life once, I don't miss it. And religion doesn't solve your problems, it only helps you cover them up.

Careful of your wording. To say you once had God in your life would indicate an acknowledgment of existence.

I can see that you have a personal bone to pick with Christianity. So what happened? I know there's a story, or multiple.

I was once a Christian too. While I have my own issues with revealed religion, sooner or later you want to move on with your life. You say you don't miss it, but you do appear to have a good deal of anger and bitterness about it. I've always felt that atheism tends to foster that. Are there exceptions? I don't doubt it, but based on the posts by most atheists that I see on USMB they are an angry, bitter, depressed lot, and yes, in some cases, smug. I may argue with Christians a lot on this site, but I at least understand that there is a certain level of earnestness among them, while with atheists I rarely see anything other than scorn and derision. Christians may attack your beliefs, but I always get that they at least don't hate or wish me harm (most of the time anyway). This is why I have never really turned my back on God, and why I continue to feel a relationship with my Creator.

Nothing happened, I just realized one day why religion was created and that there is no way god exists. I also didn't want to waste my life trying to make sure I got into heaven. Life is too short to waste it on religion.
And Christians hate people for their beliefs all the time. The only time I address them about their religion is when they use it judge someone, or deny them a right.

I did have God in my life once, I don't miss it. And religion doesn't solve your problems, it only helps you cover them up.

Careful of your wording. To say you once had God in your life would indicate an acknowledgment of existence.

I can see that you have a personal bone to pick with Christianity. So what happened? I know there's a story, or multiple.

I was once a Christian too. While I have my own issues with revealed religion, sooner or later you want to move on with your life. You say you don't miss it, but you do appear to have a good deal of anger and bitterness about it. I've always felt that atheism tends to foster that. Are there exceptions? I don't doubt it, but based on the posts by most atheists that I see on USMB they are an angry, bitter, depressed lot, and yes, in some cases, smug. I may argue with Christians a lot on this site, but I at least understand that there is a certain level of earnestness among them, while with atheists I rarely see anything other than scorn and derision. Christians may attack your beliefs, but I always get that they at least don't hate or wish me harm (most of the time anyway). This is why I have never really turned my back on God, and why I continue to feel a relationship with my Creator.

Nothing happened, I just realized one day why religion was created and that there is no way god exists. I also didn't want to waste my life trying to make sure I got into heaven. Life is too short to waste it on religion.
And Christians hate people for their beliefs all the time. The only time I address them about their religion is when they use it judge someone, or deny them a right.

Okay.

This is mainly an observational thread, not really debate-oriented. My observation is that you appear angry and bitter. If I'm mistaken, then so be it, I just find it hard to believe that "nothing happened."

SOME Christians hate people, but I think that has more to do with them being hateful people than being Christian. If a person is filled with scorn and hatred, it's usually pretty obvious in their language. And since this is primarily a thread of observation, my observation is that this tendency seems more prevalent amongst atheists, for whatever reason that may be.

Last edited:
When I gave up on Christianity, I became less of a fucked up individual. All the dark twisted thoughts and fear and paranoia about the afterlife and damnation and forgiveness of my sins and my vices and taboos just... mostly dried up.

I was reborn, and it was refreshing.

I'm a more well adjusted individual, not having Christianity in my life anymore. I see from many other Christians I see too, that they suffer from what I suffered from. Shit fucks you up when you grow up being told that you'll go to hell if you don't constantly ask for forgiveness, and that your family members will go to hell and you'll never see them again if they don't accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

God what a terrible upbringing.

Last edited:

Okay.

This is mainly an observational thread, not really debate-oriented. My observation is that you appear angry and bitter. If I'm mistaken, then so be it, I just find it hard to believe that "nothing happened."

SOME Christians hate people, but I think that has more to do with them being hateful people than being Christian. If a person is filled with scorn and hatred, it's usually pretty obvious in their language. And since this is primarily a thread of observation, my observation is that this tendency seems more prevalent amongst atheists, for whatever reason that may be.

And in My observations I believe it to more prevalent among Christians. This board is a prime example of that, along with the Republican Party.
And how do I seem angry and bitter? You keep repeating that, but I think you just want to believe that about me, it helps you continue to believe something had to happen.
I will repeat nothing happened, about 18 I started to question my belief in God, by 22 I no longer I believed. I actually remember the conversation where I completely stopped believing. It was actually a pretty good night with friends at my apartment.
I will say this, the fact you need to pick apart my beliefs and label me bitter says a lot about you.

[...]they won't rule in hell, either.

Truer words have never been spoken. Everyone in Hell will be equally awesome; meaning there will be nobody around to "rule" over, ...because all the lame-asses will be in Heaven.

"
1Co 1:18 - 27
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where [is] the wise? where [is] the scribe? where [is] the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty"

It's all there. The foolish think it means something to denigrate Christians as foolish, but all they do is prove the inerrancy of the bible.

1Co 3:18 - 19
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Okay.

And in My observations I believe it to more prevalent among Christians. This board is a prime example of that, along with the Republican Party.
And how do I seem angry and bitter? You keep repeating that, but I think you just want to believe that about me, it helps you continue to believe something had to happen.
I will repeat nothing happened, about 18 I started to question my belief in God, by 22 I no longer I believed. I actually remember the conversation where I completely stop believing. It was actually a pretty good night with friends at my apartment.
I will say this the fact you need to pick apart my beliefs and label me bitter says a lot about you.

I base my observations on my debates with Christians. I debate them a lot. While there is certainly some anger, some bigotry, some narrow-mindedness, I've often seen moments when I felt they genuinely cared about me. Whatever beefs I have with Christianity, and they are plenty, it has little to do with their intentions. Anyway, like I said, it's a personal observation, and thus pretty subjective, please take it as such.

Thank you for sharing.

"For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.."
I Cor 1:18
"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14) [emphasis Capstone's]

In other words, Koshergrl, shut the fuck up.

"
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where [is] the wise? where [is] the scribe? where [is] the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty"

It's all there. The foolish think it means something to denigrate Christians as foolish, but all they do is prove the inerrancy of the bible.

The Bible is the number one reason why I started to question Christianity.

"

If the Bible is the word of God, then that is exactly what it proves. If it is not, then it proves that the authors of the Bible didn't like the Greeks or the wise much.

"For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.."
I Cor 1:18
"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14) [emphasis Capstone's]

In other words, Koshergrl, shut the fuck up.

You ask the impossible of incapable.

It basically comes down to one word, wonder. Smug atheists insist there is no room for wonder in the universe, and that their experience is the only valid one. The simple fact is that, a sense of wonder makes us humble, and anyone that approaches the universe without wonder and humility is crazier than the guy who thinks he is in charge.

One can be in awe of the universe and still not believe a magic man in the sky made it.

Can one also understand the use of adjectives without complicated explanations that should have been covered in school?

Forum List

Back