Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planet

The only thing that will save this planet from AGW is the elimination of anthropogenic GHG emissions. Nuclear energy, fission and someday fusion, can be a big part of getting that done, But solar and wind are playing a big part now and, until the general public has become more confident in nuclear power safety, they will likely be the major stockholder.

Nobody's buying stock in wind and solar.. I've posted the ticker name charts here over and over.. Simple... ONLY REASON wind and solar are being built out is because TAXPAYERS are footing the bill...

And you can get rich with a wind farm.. Even one that produces 14% of the energy it's SUPPOSED to produce...

The largest chunk of retirement funds for my wife and I is NextEraEnergy. Their stock has done this:

upload_2019-3-14_11-34-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-14_11-33-57.png
    upload_2019-3-14_11-33-57.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 98
The only thing that will save this planet from AGW is the elimination of anthropogenic GHG emissions. Nuclear energy, fission and someday fusion, can be a big part of getting that done, But solar and wind are playing a big part now and, until the general public has become more confident in nuclear power safety, they will likely be the major stockholder.

Nobody's buying stock in wind and solar.. I've posted the ticker name charts here over and over.. Simple... ONLY REASON wind and solar are being built out is because TAXPAYERS are footing the bill...

And you can get rich with a wind farm.. Even one that produces 14% of the energy it's SUPPOSED to produce...

The largest chunk of retirement funds for my wife and I is NextEraEnergy. Their stock has done this:

View attachment 250211

:iyfyus.jpg:

Yeah but the bubble burst on Renewables well over a decade ago.........growth flat. But don't take my word for it.....check the RENIXX market index >>

Google Image Result for https://www.tonysheng.com/assets/images/renixx.png

I gotta give Crick credit for resiliency..........he gets pwn'd daily but keeps showing up!!

Highly informative article here, interestingly, written by a
climate crusader guy who says renewable's have no future in America or anywhere else so he's throwing in the towel and pushing nuclear......

In today's REALCLEAR >>

Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planet - Quillette

Article really is a kick to the nutsack if you are a big believer in renewables. I learned some new realities related to renewables that I wasnt aware of previously.....it really is hopeless. Connected some dots for me as to why after 20 years solar is only at 1.3%......

This guy is all in on nuclear....says it's real safe. Not buying it.....
Technology is improving all the time. Renewables could do more than they are now.

Indeed....but renewables will always be only a fringe source of energy due to associated costs as the author of the above article astutely points out.
Upgrading our energy transmission lines and potentially putting all of them underground would do wonders for our energy economy. We should be able to send and receive energy throughout the US. The sun rises in the East could mean the East is transmissitting all the extra energy to States still waiting for the morning sun.

Again....true but wont happen. Would cost tens of billions of dollars.

Lots of things are nice to be desired but they are cost prohibitive. Why do you think solar power has been growing steadily for 20 years but still only generates 1.3% of our electricity? Land is too expensive s0n and maintenance too costly over time.

You really need to read this.....

If that doesnt help connect some dots, I cant help you!
It could be like saying Model T vehicles will never take over the transportation industry. New vehicles can.

Next Era Energy is almost entirely in solar. As you saw, it has not been flat.

Wikiipedia had no information on Renixx. Found their website on Google

I see you've learned how to use scales to your advantage. Here is Renixx's performance across different time scales.

1 month
chartrei.aspx

3 months
chartrei.aspx

6 months
chartrei.aspx

1 year
chartrei.aspx

3 years
chartrei.aspx

5 years
chartrei.aspx

All
chartrei.aspx

Pie in the sky dreaming skidmark....eliminate the subsidy gravy train and they would all shut down in 3 months...look at what is happening to the nations that actually believed the renewables bullshit...energy prices are driving people into poverty...

Next Era Energy is almost entirely in solar. As you saw, it has not been flat.

Wikiipedia had no information on Renixx. Found their website on Google

I see you've learned how to use scales to your advantage. Here is Renixx's performance across different time scales.

1 month
chartrei.aspx

3 months
chartrei.aspx

6 months
chartrei.aspx

1 year
chartrei.aspx

3 years
chartrei.aspx

5 years
chartrei.aspx

All
chartrei.aspx

Next Era Energy is almost entirely in solar.

I bet you're wrong.

And my statement "perhaps they have more in wind" is an admission that I do not stand by it. I was more interested in contending the claim that renewables were all doing badly in the market.

And my statement "perhaps they have more in wind" is an admission that I do not stand by it. I was more interested in contending the claim that renewables were all doing badly in the market.

Doing badly??

My God.......you people set the bar so low its hysterical.

The analogy is......and its perfect.......imagine a slug trying to navigate across the US from New York to Los Angeles. Its just moving out of the Lincoln Tunnel. You bozo's call that progress. Well more power to ya I guess. Most folks would consider it laughable, however.

Clean energy stocks are flat since 2008......end of story.

Renewable Energy Industry - Clean Energy Stocks - RENIXX - Renewable Energy Industrial Index - Market Data

:gtssmiley2:fLaT:gtssmiley2:

Published on February 27, 2019
Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planet

written by Michael Shellenberger

Mod Edit -- Moved link to article from later post to where it belongs..

When I was a boy, my parents would sometimes take my sister and me camping in the desert. A lot of people think deserts are empty, but my parents taught us to see the wildlife all around us, including hawks, eagles, and tortoises.
giphy.gif

After college, I moved to California to work on environmental campaigns. I helped save the state’s last ancient redwood forest and blocked a proposed radioactive waste repository set for the desert.
In 2002, shortly after I turned 30, I decided I wanted to dedicate myself to addressing climate change. I was worried that global warming would end up destroying many of the natural environments that people had worked so hard to protect.

I thought the solutions were pretty straightforward: solar panels on every roof, electric cars in every driveway, etc. The main obstacles, I believed, were political. And so I helped organize a coalition of America’s largest labor unions and environmental groups. Our proposal was for a $300 billion dollar investment in renewables. We would not only prevent climate change but also create millions of new jobs in a fast-growing high-tech sector.

Our efforts paid off in 2007 when then-presidential candidate Barack Obama embraced our vision. Between 2009–15, the U.S. invested $150 billion dollars in renewables and other forms of clean tech. But right away we ran into trouble.

The first was around land use. Electricity from solar roofs costs about twice as much as electricity from solar farms, but solar and wind farms require huge amounts of land. That, along with the fact that solar and wind farms require long new transmissions lines, and are opposed by local communities and conservationists trying to preserve wildlife, particularly birds.

Another challenge was the intermittent nature of solar and wind energies. When the sun stops shining and the wind stops blowing, you have to quickly be able to ramp up another source of energy.

Mod Edit -- Shortened for copyright...

I used to think that dealing with climate change was going to be expensive. But I could no longer believe this after looking at Germany and France.

Germany’s carbon emissions have been flat since 2009, despite an investment of $580 billion by 2025 in a renewables-heavy electrical grid, a 50 percent rise in electricity cost.

Meanwhile, France produces one-tenth the carbon emissions per unit of electricity as Germany and pays little more than half for its electricity. How? Through nuclear power.

Then, under pressure from Germany, France spent $33 billion on renewables, over the last decade. What was the result? A rise in the carbon intensity of its electricity supply, and higher electricity prices, too.

What about all the headlines about expensive nuclear and cheap solar and wind? They are largely an illusion resulting from the fact that 70 to 80 percent of the costs of building nuclear plants are up-front, whereas the costs given for solar and wind don’t include the high cost of transmission lines, new dams, or other forms of battery.

Energy-dense nuclear requires far less in the way of materials, and produces far less in the way of waste compared to energy-dilute solar and wind.

A single Coke can’s worth of uranium provides all of the energy that the most gluttonous American or Australian lifestyle requires. At the end of the process, the high-level radioactive waste that nuclear plants produce is the very same Coke can of (used) uranium fuel. The reason nuclear is the best energy from an environmental perspective is because it produces so little waste and none enters the environment as pollution.

France shows that moving from mostly nuclear electricity to a mix of nuclear and renewables results in more carbon emissions, due to using more natural gas, and higher prices, to the unreliability of solar and wind.

Now that we know that renewables can’t save the planet, are we really going to stand by and let them destroy it?

Michael Shellenberger is a Time Magazine “Hero of the Environment,” and president of Environmental Progress, an independent research and policy organization. Follow him on Twitter @ShellenbergerMD

tl;dr

Forum List

Back