Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planet

How many jobs do you think are provided by green energy?
Well, according to Fortune...

"...sustainability now collectively represents four to four and a half million jobs in the U.S., up from 3.4 million in 2011."
According to Forbes...

"More than half a million jobs around the world were created in the renewable energy sector in 2017 , bringing the total number of people employed in the sector to more than 10 million for the first time."
Back to you...

"...sustainability now collectively represents four to four and a half million jobs in the U.S., up from 3.4 million in 2011."

Excellent! Thanks for the info.
Now what percentage of energy in the U.S. is provided by that groovy wind and solar?

Excellent! Thanks for the info.
Now what percentage of energy in the U.S. is provided by that groovy wind and solar?
I'm not your little organ grinder monkey, go Google it yourself.

upload_2019-3-9_14-51-35.png

Renewable energy in the United States - Wikipedia

Looks like a bit less than 7%. Produced by 4-4.5 million workers.

upload_2019-3-9_14-56-17.png

Energy in the United States - Wikipedia

Versus about 80% for fossil fuels.

upload_2019-3-9_14-57-43.png

About 150,000 oil and gas.

Industries at a Glance: Oil and Gas Extraction: NAICS 211

upload_2019-3-9_15-2-6.png

Coal Mining - May 2017 OES Industry-Specific Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

About another 50,000 for coal.

Which is more productive, 200,000 producing 80% of our power or 4 million producing 7%?

DURR.

View attachment 249490

Renewable energy in the United States - Wikipedia

Looks like a bit less than 7%. Produced by 4-4.5 million workers.

View attachment 249491

Energy in the United States - Wikipedia

Versus about 80% for fossil fuels.

View attachment 249492

About 150,000 oil and gas.

Industries at a Glance: Oil and Gas Extraction: NAICS 211

View attachment 249493

Coal Mining - May 2017 OES Industry-Specific Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

About another 50,000 for coal.

Which is more productive, 200,000 producing 80% of our power or 4 million producing 7%?

DURR.

thanks for showing fossil fuels are still a hell of a lot more efficient

Greater energy efficiency can help lower costs. New cities in more optimal locations could take advantage of three dimensions not the traditional two dimensions we have now.

Like unicorn farts?

s0n....nobody in here takes you seriously because all you do is dabble in theory. Disney is not an energy dimension.
Building up would make all of the windows potential energy generating panels.

latest

i havent called my self a republican in over a decade
Im totally impressed with all the homeless AND once a great American city san francisco turned into a toilet bowl
anyway

free enterprise ,low taxes , limited regulation built modern California
theyre still riding the booms ....silicon valley and the farmers who carry the state will only take so much

it like NY

Kill wall st and its pretty much all over FOR THE WHOLE STATE....
golly gee i wonder how they painted themselves into that corner

the city ...that is the only city..... NY :04:
is about to do a repeat of ...going bankrupt
theyre panicking in city hall

The only thing that will save this planet from AGW is the elimination of anthropogenic GHG emissions. Nuclear energy, fission and someday fusion, can be a big part of getting that done, But solar and wind are playing a big part now and, until the general public has become more confident in nuclear power safety, they will likely be the major stockholder.

The only thing that will save this planet from AGW is the elimination of anthropogenic GHG emissions. Nuclear energy, fission and someday fusion, can be a big part of getting that done, But solar and wind are playing a big part now and, until the general public has become more confident in nuclear power safety, they will likely be the major stockholder.

Nobody's buying stock in wind and solar.. I've posted the ticker name charts here over and over.. Simple... ONLY REASON wind and solar are being built out is because TAXPAYERS are footing the bill...

And you can get rich with a wind farm.. Even one that produces 14% of the energy it's SUPPOSED to produce...

Great point. If you invested in vestas 6 years ago at 2.60 a share they are worth 26 bucks a share today.

And we've seen that demand skyrocket for their stock.

Meanwhile an 18 dollar share price for cloud energy (largest coal trading stock) at that same time has gone from 19 bucks a share to just 43 cents now.

BHP (largest natural gas stock) has gone from $66 a share to $47 a share in that time.

And Dutch shell (largest oil stock has dropped 8% in that time.

Someone would have to be really pissed if they were buying those other stocks. Especially since those companies are getting billions more in handouts from the govt and still unable to get a return on your investment. Eh?

An interesting read is Lazards "Cost of unsubsidized energy for energy sources", the most in depth study of unsubsidized energy souces in the US. International multi-billion dollar asset management firm. And shows solar/wind with a huge advantage. Of course that would explain how those wind companies are able to underbid coal and other energies.

Levelized Cost of Energy and Levelized Cost of Storage 2018

Wind is being utilized differently than gas, nuclear, and coal. It's much easier to start and stop a wind turbine than a gas/coal/nuclear plant. According to the US Energy Information Administration, our energy grid needs to be made for peak energy, not average energy. Which means starting and stopping energy sources as those peaks hit and recede. Well the cost of stopping a gas plant, coal plant, and nuclear plant are MUCH more expensive that turning off a wind turbine. So wind is helping our electrical grid become MORE versatile and cheaper to run and increasing reliability.

And yes that affects it's capacity where low costs of starting and stopping turbines make it the choice for the peak demand and thus lower overall capacity. What we are seeing is as overall wind power capacity increases, more turbines are left on and coal plants shuttered and wind capacity grows. ERCOT (Texas power grid operators) years ago had a report of how much more reserve would be needed to keep wind alive. An obsolete report those coal liars like to use. Fortunately, the Texas grid operator has answered that question in real time, and in that case found its study actually overestimated the increase in reserve needs that would be caused by wind. In 2013, ERCOT used its real world grid operating data to validate the results of a 2008 study it had conducted to estimate the impact of higher levels of wind use and in 2018 performed another and came to their conclusion wind energy makes the grid more efficient. But some liars like using old debunked data.

We've seen that capacity skyrocket. Averaging at 37.4% last year and right now about 44%. Sure some liars like using the old numbers of around 14-15% in order to either intentionally lie, or they are just ignorant on that topic, like that one guy who was here and I caught lying a few times before putting him on ignore. Based on current pace, not only will wind overtake coal in winter months (first time happened a couple years ago), but also year round by 2021. If you want to make capacity use and costs your reasonings... Well Coal is out and wind is in for you. Unless you want to lie with old data instead.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/current_month/epm.pdf (you can click the full report for the full numbers.

As Bruce Rew, the VP of operations for the Southwest Power Pool, recently explained, “Ten years ago we thought hitting even a 25 percent wind-penetration level would be extremely challenging, and any more than that would pose serious threats to reliability. Now we have the ability to reliably manage greater than 50 percent. It’s not even our ceiling."

So you have to ask yourself.. Why are people intentionally still using old data or not the best data and then cherry picking parts and outright lying about others?

It would be like someone today saying Horses need to be our primary mode of transportation since there's only 300 gas stations in the US. Yeah that was true at one point in US history, but it's an outright lie today. What do they gain from telling lies?

Highly informative article here, interestingly, written by a climate crusader guy who says renewable's have no future in America or anywhere else so he's throwing in the towel and pushing nuclear......

In today's REALCLEAR >>

Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planet - Quillette

Article really is a kick to the nutsack if you are a big believer in renewables. I learned some new realities related to renewables that I wasnt aware of previously.....it really is hopeless. Connected some dots for me as to why after 20 years solar is only at 1.3%......

This guy is all in on nuclear....says it's real safe. Not buying it.....

Highly informative article here, interestingly, written by a climate crusader guy who says renewable's have no future in America or anywhere else so he's throwing in the towel and pushing nuclear......

In today's REALCLEAR >>

Article really is a kick to the nutsack if you are a big believer in renewables. I learned some new realities related to renewables that I wasnt aware of previously.....it really is hopeless. Connected some dots for me as to why after 20 years solar is only at 1.3%......

Technology is improving all the time. Renewables could do more than they are now.

Highly informative article here, interestingly, written by a
climate crusader guy who says renewable's have no future in America or anywhere else so he's throwing in the towel and pushing nuclear......

In today's REALCLEAR >>

Technology is improving all the time. Renewables could do more than they are now.

Indeed....but renewables will always be only a fringe source of energy due to associated costs as the author of the above article astutely points out.

climate crusader guy who says renewable's have no future in America or anywhere else so he's throwing in the towel and pushing nuclear......

In today's REALCLEAR >>

Indeed....but renewables will always be only a fringe source of energy due to associated costs as the author of the above article astutely points out.
Upgrading our energy transmission lines and potentially putting all of them underground would do wonders for our energy economy. We should be able to send and receive energy throughout the US. The sun rises in the East could mean the East is transmissitting all the extra energy to States still waiting for the morning sun.

In today's REALCLEAR >>

Upgrading our energy transmission lines and potentially putting all of them underground would do wonders for our energy economy. We should be able to send and receive energy throughout the US. The sun rises in the East could mean the East is transmissitting all the extra energy to States still waiting for the morning sun.

Again....true but wont happen. Would cost tens of billions of dollars.

Lots of things are nice to be desired but they are cost prohibitive. Why do you think solar power has been growing steadily for 20 years but still only generates 1.3% of our electricity? Land is too expensive s0n and maintenance too costly over time.

You really need to read this.....

If that doesnt help connect some dots, I cant help you!

Forum List

Back