Why Poor Areas Vote For Politicians Who Want To Slash The Safety Net

Their Lower IQ's, fear and ignorance drives them along with their fundamentalist religion of pie in the sky after you die , so suffer in this life.

Despite poor white people in southern red states barely surviving on slave wages, welfare, food stamps, and no adequate health care, they routinely vote for Republicans openly campaigning on driving their constituents deeper into poverty. It is true that opposition to Democrats as surrogates for an African American President is driven by racial animus, but even that fails to explain poor white voters electing abusive Republicans promising to eliminate programs that keep them alive.

Obviously, those poor white people who vote Republican are not nearly as successful in driving their fellow conservatives into continuing poverty as those black folks who routinely and without a single coherent thought vote Democrat, time after time, driving their fellow constituents and themselves into self-selected poverty, like those high information voters in the ghettos of Washington, DC, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Detroit, New York, Ferguson and Anywhere, USA.

Their Lower IQ's, fear and ignorance drives them along with their fundamentalist religion of pie in the sky after you die , so suffer in this life.

Despite poor white people in southern red states barely surviving on slave wages, welfare, food stamps, and no adequate health care, they routinely vote for Republicans openly campaigning on driving their constituents deeper into poverty. It is true that opposition to Democrats as surrogates for an African American President is driven by racial animus, but even that fails to explain poor white voters electing abusive Republicans promising to eliminate programs that keep them alive.

Obama had a Congress that could not be stopped by republicans. That's a fact because we got that shit program called Obamacare. Do explain why there are poor people if the democrats are the only ones who would stop it? Obama had 7 years to end poverty and failed.

"Obama had 7 years to end poverty and failed."

Why the RWNJs believe Obama should have been able to end what no other politician has been able to? Its been more than 50 years since the so-called "war on poverty" began. More to the point, there has never been a time in the history of the planet that there have not been poor people.

And yet, the nutters say Obama should have been able to end it.

But then, the same fools say the Middle East was a peace for the past thousands of years - until Obama was elected. And, the US Vet Admin worked perfectly - until Obama was elected. And, there was no racism - until Obama was elected.

A huge part of the problem is that the right never ever EVER takes responsibility for themselves, their words or their actions.

Oh yeah, and they're stupid. RWs voting for Repubs is like cockroaches voting for Raid.

Hummm err we be votin for them err Republicons, cause we humm don't like that Obammy, and them err Mesicans, we poor but as long as we be having them err Bibles and our guns and moonshine we be OK. , yur see we white men, so its OK for is to be getting Gubmint help, just not them err coons, hmmm, maybe see I'd we keep votin Republicon we be rich someday too huh ?? I have no teeth, maybe my Gubmint handout can get me some hmm er dentures, well I be votin for another rich old white guy, eerr Trump, yea that be him..

Scuse me know gotta go back to my dingy old trailer and fry some err dinner, go Trump.

Its not the safety net that RWs are against. Its OTHERS benefiting from it that burns their collective butt.

There are quite a few RWNJs posting here who benefit from welfare, SS and Medicaid. Or, who just leach off others. They don't want that to end for themselves - just for others.

Not just the safety net either. They're against education and healthcare too.

And the truth is actually in the middle. The programs we have are not working, period. There is no other discussion that actually matters, they need to be changed so that they /do/ work. But it's never going to happen because everyone is too busy bitching about party lines. Get used to it.

Obama had a Congress that could not be stopped by republicans. That's a fact because we got that shit program called Obamacare. Do explain why there are poor people if the democrats are the only ones who would stop it? Obama had 7 years to end poverty and failed.

"Obama had 7 years to end poverty and failed."

Why the RWNJs believe Obama should have been able to end what no other politician has been able to? Its been more than 50 years since the so-called "war on poverty" began. More to the point, there has never been a time in the history of the planet that there have not been poor people.

And yet, the nutters say Obama should have been able to end it.

But then, the same fools say the Middle East was a peace for the past thousands of years - until Obama was elected. And, the US Vet Admin worked perfectly - until Obama was elected. And, there was no racism - until Obama was elected.

A huge part of the problem is that the right never ever EVER takes responsibility for themselves, their words or their actions.

Oh yeah, and they're stupid. RWs voting for Repubs is like cockroaches voting for Raid.

Hummm err we be votin for them err Republicons, cause we humm don't like that Obammy, and them err Mesicans, we poor but as long as we be having them err Bibles and our guns and moonshine we be OK. , yur see we white men, so its OK for is to be getting Gubmint help, just not them err coons, hmmm, maybe see I'd we keep votin Republicon we be rich someday too huh ?? I have no teeth, maybe my Gubmint handout can get me some hmm er dentures, well I be votin for another rich old white guy, eerr Trump, yea that be him..

Scuse me know gotta go back to my dingy old trailer and fry some err dinner, go Trump.

Yep - they all buy lottery tickets and say that Drumpf/Carson/Cruz/etc are not "Washington insiders" and are just like them. If they could, these idiots would vote for Pooting - because he's a "real leader".

I hate to say it, and USMB you can ban me, but its because white people are literally generally just stupid and ignorant...there's simply no other excuse.
564fcfa31700004b00e1a450.jpeg

It is one of the central political puzzles of our time: Parts of the country that depend on the safety-net programs supported by Democrats are increasingly voting for Republicans who favor shredding that net.

In his successful bid for the Senate in 2010, the libertarian Rand Paul railed against“intergenerational welfare” and said that “the culture of dependency on government destroys people’s spirits,” yet racked up winning margins in eastern Kentucky, a former Democratic stronghold that is heavily dependent on public benefits. Last year, Paul R. LePage, the fiercely anti-welfare Republican governor of Maine, was re-elected despite a highly erratic first term — with strong support in struggling towns where many rely on public assistance. And earlier this month, Kentucky elected as governor a conservative Republican who had vowed to largely undo the Medicaid expansion that had given the state the country’s largest decrease in the uninsured under Obamacare, with roughly one in 10 residents gaining coverage.
So tell which republicans are for getting rid of all safety net programs

Democrats are natural slaves. They want to be taken care of, fed, clothed, sheltered, provided medical care, they want to be entertained. All coming free to them from the master.

Republicans prefer the challenge of freedom.

I hate to say it, and USMB you can ban me, but its because white people are literally generally just stupid and ignorant...there's simply no other excuse.
As you probably know, there are quite a few white people here who would completely agree with you.

Saddled by White Guilt and self-loathing, they're consumed by that thought.

Intelligence and reason have nothing to do with skin color.

Yes and No....Ky is 80% white, 75% poor and dependent on gov. socialized programs and they continue to vote in Republicans who take everything they depend on...away...now I'm not a rocket scientist by no means, but ya gotta agree, them's some ignorant as white mf's....I mean if it looks like a duck and quacks like one, chances are its a ignorant ass white duck mf!!

Lmao, Kentucky is not 80% white and put up or shut up name one entitlement program Republicans took away twinkle toes?

Actually it's 88% surprising enough...
Kentucky QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Social security and medicare are working. My dad was in the hosputal17 times in his last year of life. He spent 40 notes in the hospital. If not for those programs my mom would have been deep deep deep in debt. Which should never ever happen because of sickness

Social security and medicare are working. My dad was in the hosputal17 times in his last year of life. He spent 40 notes in the hospital. If not for those programs my mom would have been deep deep deep in debt. Which should never ever happen because of sickness

I agree but neither Soc Sec nor Medicare are "welfare" programs.

Obviously, those poor white people who vote Republican are not nearly as successful in driving their fellow conservatives into continuing poverty as those black folks who routinely and without a single coherent thought vote Democrat, time after time, driving their fellow constituents and themselves into self-selected poverty, like those high information voters in the ghettos of Washington, DC, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Detroit, New York, Ferguson and Anywhere, USA.

When Bill Clinton signed NAFTA, black communities got hit hard. Manufacturing jobs, the belt of black employment left these inner cities without a black up plan and sadly most fell into the pits of poverty. With poverty, comes white flight and thus you have it.....a cesspool of nigga's without a future, shitty politicians exploiting their vulnerability and people like you finding this all amusing. But understand one thing, no conservative politicians has ever been able to turn blight into bright futures for anyone and I challenge you to prove otherwise....GOP cities and states are just as fucked up.

Democrats are natural slaves. They want to be taken care of, fed, clothed, sheltered, provided medical care, they want to be entertained. All coming free to them from the master.

Republicans prefer the challenge of freedom.

Interesting your observation...since most GOP politicians got their wealth from some form of gov. subsidized programs.

I agree but neither Soc Sec nor Medicare are "welfare" programs.

It's income redistribution, which is technically welfare, but it's a kind of welfare that almost everyone agrees is the "good kind".

Myself personally, I think that people could do a lot better for their needs through investments, hand that amount over to a good investor and you'll have far more than the gov will give you when you get older. But people seem to have a hate for the banks/investors who's job is to make them money so I'm sure not many would agree with me these days - their loss.

564fcfa31700004b00e1a450.jpeg

It is one of the central political puzzles of our time: Parts of the country that depend on the safety-net programs supported by Democrats are increasingly voting for Republicans who favor shredding that net.

In his successful bid for the Senate in 2010, the libertarian Rand Paul railed against“intergenerational welfare” and said that “the culture of dependency on government destroys people’s spirits,” yet racked up winning margins in eastern Kentucky, a former Democratic stronghold that is heavily dependent on public benefits. Last year, Paul R. LePage, the fiercely anti-welfare Republican governor of Maine, was re-elected despite a highly erratic first term — with strong support in struggling towns where many rely on public assistance. And earlier this month, Kentucky elected as governor a conservative Republican who had vowed to largely undo the Medicaid expansion that had given the state the country’s largest decrease in the uninsured under Obamacare, with roughly one in 10 residents gaining coverage.
So tell which republicans are for getting rid of all safety net programs

Newly elected Gov. Bevins of Ky. Damit read the article

It's income redistribution, which is technically welfare, but it's a kind of welfare that almost everyone agrees is the "good kind".

Myself personally, I think that people could do a lot better for their needs through investments, hand that amount over to a good investor and you'll have far more than the gov will give you when you get older. But people seem to have a hate for the banks/investors who's job is to make them money so I'm sure not many would agree with me these days - their loss.

I've been on my job for almost 20 years, haven't had a raise in 4, pretty much working from paycheck to paycheck, invest fukin what, blood plasma.

I've been on my job for almost 20 years, haven't had a raise in 4, pretty much working from paycheck to paycheck, invest fukin what, blood plasma.

You're paying into it automatically hon, it's part of those payroll taxes you pay every paycheck.

As you probably know, there are quite a few white people here who would completely agree with you.

Saddled by White Guilt and self-loathing, they're consumed by that thought.

Intelligence and reason have nothing to do with skin color.

Yes and No....Ky is 80% white, 75% poor and dependent on gov. socialized programs and they continue to vote in Republicans who take everything they depend on...away...now I'm not a rocket scientist by no means, but ya gotta agree, them's some ignorant as white mf's....I mean if it looks like a duck and quacks like one, chances are its a ignorant ass white duck mf!!
Well, there are issues besides those that are financial.

There are people who are pro-life or more aggressive militarily or don't think government should be too big even if it means that things are a bit tougher for them. Whatever, I can't speak for them.

Different doesn't mean stupid. It just means different.

Wedge issues seem to create Republican Voters who do vote against their self interests. Intelligence people understand, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

The R's held both houses of Congress and the White House and never once passed an anti abortion law. Why? Because they can continue to use abortion as an issue to get the vote of social conservatives.

Shame on them!

Democrats support free contraceptives to all women of child bearing age and age appropriate sex education as part of a comprehensive health care curriculum in the public schools - both would reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies and abortion as well as sexually transmitted disease.

Its not the safety net that RWs are against. Its OTHERS benefiting from it that burns their collective butt.

There are quite a few RWNJs posting here who benefit from welfare, SS and Medicaid. Or, who just leach off others. They don't want that to end for themselves - just for others.

Not just the safety net either. They're against education and healthcare too.

Those who have enough self respect and pride consider social programs a safety net temporary help in short difficult times.
Those who don't, consider social programs not a safety net but a comfortable hammock in which to spend a life time.

Forum List

Back