why not make the minimum wage $30 an hour?

In theory....that sounds great
In practice.....it isn't working

Why? Because wages are based on demand and not worth.
The demand for work is part of the function that determines the work's value.

Why do you object to basing a worker's wages solely upon the value of that worker's work?

Employers have figured out how to keep their workforce in fear and hungry. By keeping the supply of viable jobs low, employers get to set terms on wages and benefits.
Like monopolies, monopsonies are only coercive with the assistance of legislation. Employers really don't have this power you claim.

Actually, they do

Americas employers are sitting on $7 trillion in untapped cash reserves. There was a time this capital would be put back into the economy in the form of investment and capital improvements. Now, it just sits offshore while workers fight over the available crumbs

The World s Biggest Companies Have Amassed 7 Trillion In Cash - Business Insider
Of course all those small businesses that in aggregate employ the most workers, are sitting on mad ca$h, just to stick it to burger flippers. I understand.

Why do you object to basing a worker's wages solely upon the value of that worker's work?
The money is out there...$7 trillion that could be pumped into the economy

It would increase the demand for all levels of employees......but our capitalists don't want that
Of course capitalists have no interest in a vibrant economy.

Capitalists have an interest in maintaining a low wage workforce without many options

Thankfully, they have the Republican Party doing what it can to get it

Like monopolies, monopsonies are only coercive with the assistance of legislation. Employers really don't have this power you claim.

Actually, they do

Americas employers are sitting on $7 trillion in untapped cash reserves. There was a time this capital would be put back into the economy in the form of investment and capital improvements. Now, it just sits offshore while workers fight over the available crumbs

The World s Biggest Companies Have Amassed 7 Trillion In Cash - Business Insider
Of course all those small businesses that in aggregate employ the most workers, are sitting on mad ca$h, just to stick it to burger flippers. I understand.

It would increase the demand for all levels of employees......but our capitalists don't want that

Capitalists have an interest in maintaining a low wage workforce without many options

Yes. Of course. Republicans are bad.

I think it is rather instructive that despite all the opportunities provided, not a single minimum wage proponent on this board is willing to state their objection to basing a worker's wages solely upon the value of that worker's work.

It's a fair question that deserves an honest answer.

Actually, they do

The main reason is that the free market does not currently provide a wage that allows low scale workers to support themselves and their families. It used to
In the absence of a livable wage, the taxpayers have had to step in and support those families with housing assistance, food stamps and healthcare
When given a choice between an employer supporting his workers and the taxpayer....I choose the employer

The main reason is that the free market does not currently provide a wage that allows low scale workers to support themselves and their families. It used to
1) You don't think that inflation and wage devaluation have anything to do with that?
2) So what? Describe the precise obligation that requires an employer to provide support for workers and their families.

Please cite the moral or economic principle that explains why an employer is obligated to compensate some workers less than what their work is worth in order to subsidize the inflated wages of workers being paid more than what their work is worth.

Don't fret much over this... I literally expect nothing from you.

In the absence of a livable wage, the taxpayers have had to step in and support those families with housing assistance, food stamps and healthcare
Right. Forced at gunpoint.

If a worker's intelligence, talent, industriousness, and/or ambition limits their social contribution to burger flipping, why does their claim on society for food, clothing, shelter, medical care, education, and pension (not to mention esteem, respect, affirmation and validation) know no such limitation? Upon what moral principle is it valid for them to make their unlimited claim at (government) gunpoint?

Again, I expect nothing from you.

When given a choice between an employer supporting his workers and the taxpayer....I choose the employer
False dichotomy. I choose the workers supporting themselves.

Last edited:
or $300 a hour? Since you are CLAIMING that the wages paid to employees have no effect on a company's ability to show a profit, why not just legislate poverty out of existence, hmm? "Domestic' companies dont have to compete in a global market (or so you CLAIM) so why not just do this? Then, when your food costs go up by a factor of 10, you can blame it on the "greedy" farmers, right?

It has to stay below how much skilled and educated workers are making.
Experience comes with time which is an education in and of itself.

How about we just bring it to levels equivalent to what I used to make when I made $2 an hour in the 70s

That would be around $15 an hour today
you do realize that now, everyone above minimum wage will ask for a raise .....

Everyone is a great exaggeration. If min wage was increased I sure wouldn't be asking for a raise.

You might very well, seeing as how just about everything you purchase on a regular basis will now cost more than it did previously.

Or really? Everything? It's funny how min wage has increased so many times throughout history and that hasn't happened.
Really?

The last three debates on minimum wage centered around increasing the wage so that people could afford to live a better life.......

What happened to that?

How would you like to hire this bunch of brainiacs? they look like they are WORTH 15 bucks an hour. NO?

How about we just bring it to levels equivalent to what I used to make when I made $2 an hour in the 70s

Let's not and say we did. Do you like going to McDonalds?

I like having low wage workers be able to afford basic necessities like I could at just $2 an hour

I paid a years tuition at college working just summers.....why can't low wage workers today?

minimum wage workers are predominately teens working for pocket money, no one is trying to make a MW job a lifetime career. Raising the MW will put more teens on the streets with nothing to do, how is that good for the country?

Actually, they do

wrong, the illegal immigration policies of obozo have caused much of this problem.

1) You don't think that inflation and wage devaluation have anything to do with that?
2) So what? Describe the precise obligation that requires an employer to provide support for workers and their families.

Please cite the moral or economic principle that explains why an employer is obligated to compensate some workers less than what their work is worth in order to subsidize the inflated wages of workers being paid more than what their work is worth.

Don't fret much over this... I literally expect nothing from you.

Right. Forced at gunpoint.

If a worker's intelligence, talent, industriousness, and/or ambition limits their social contribution to burger flipping, why does their claim on society for food, clothing, shelter, medical care, education, and pension (not to mention esteem, respect, affirmation and validation) know no such limitation? Upon what moral principle is it valid for them to make their unlimited claim at (government) gunpoint?

Again, I expect nothing from you.

False dichotomy. I choose the workers supporting themselves.

We have 300 million Americans

Not all are suited to be Rock Stars, CEOs, doctors and lawyers
Some will end up doing the menial tasks that others look down on. That is the way all societies function
Wages used to be able to support a basic standard of living for those who perform menial tasks. Our taxpayers have to step in and make up the difference. The employers don't care, they get to keep the extra profit from substandard wages

Actually, they do

wrong, the illegal immigration policies of obozo have caused much of this problem.
Name the policy

Name the policy

Not enforcing our immigration laws and securing the southern border.

I like having low wage workers be able to afford basic necessities like I could at just $2 an hour

I paid a years tuition at college working just summers.....why can't low wage workers today?

minimum wage workers are predominately teens working for pocket money, no one is trying to make a MW job a lifetime career. Raising the MW will put more teens on the streets with nothing to do, how is that good for the country?

of all people who should know that, you would think it would be Wrongwhiner. He just stirs the post I think. anyone can go open a business and pay their employees 100 dollars an hour IF THEY WANT. but no, they DEMAND others do IT FOR THEM

Why? Because wages are based on demand and not worth. Employers have figured out how to keep their workforce in fear and hungry. By keeping the supply of viable jobs low, employers get to set terms on wages and benefits.

:lmao:
Yeah, because that's what drives American biz expansion and job creation ... the desire to control our minimum wage! I tell you, loony leftists are by far the dimmest people on the planet.

:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:

:ahole-1:
:blahblah:

:bsflag:

I win

Name the policy

Not enforcing our immigration laws and securing the southern border.

We have fewer illegal immigrants crossing the border than ten years ago

Why? Because wages are based on demand and not worth. Employers have figured out how to keep their workforce in fear and hungry. By keeping the supply of viable jobs low, employers get to set terms on wages and benefits.

Yeah, because that's what drives American biz expansion and job creation ... the desire to control our minimum wage! I tell you, loony leftists are by far the dimmest people on the planet.

I win

you have never won, and never will. you are an idiot.

of all people who should know that, you would think it would be Wrongwhiner. He just stirs the post I think. anyone can go open a business and pay their employees 100 dollars an hour IF THEY WANT. but no, they DEMAND others do IT FOR THEM

OMG OMG OMG

Stephanie is posting...time to put your brain in neutral

I win

you have never won, and never will. you are an idiot.

I am not.....mother had me tested

Forum List

Back