Why No Crisis in Japan?

Why aren't the Japs freaking out?

So I have a couple of contrarian replies to this.

First, We've seen this several times in the past with Japan. The Great Kantu earthquake of 1923, the Sea of Japan 1985, Hokkaido 1993, of course Tsumai of 2011. And there have been numerous illness outbreaks in that area as well. The Asian flu of 1956, the Hong Kong flu in the 1960s, Sars in 2004, and a few others.

I remember hearing the exact same thing in 2011, and 2004, and in the 1990s, that reporters would go to Japan expecting to find riots and chaos and looting and hording, and finding nothing.

The Japanese people have a different sort of culture. They are not culturally disposed to going insane, and acting like animals.

This cultural difference extends to the very raising of their children, in a way that is completely foreign to US, and I'd suggest many western countries.

For example, a extremely popular children's animation program, called Naruto. In this anime, in the first season, Naruto faces an assassin and his friend, who die together. The confrontation of tough and real hardship and the pains of life, continues throughout the entire anime, to the Naurtos god-father and only remaining family dying, to an attack on their city leaving it in total ruins, and a woman falling to her knees wailing in despair.

Now that isn't to say all the episodes were misery and terror. Of course not. But just like real life, bad things happen, and even kids shows in Japan, confront the tough issues of life, that things do not always, or even often, go your way.

None of this would ever make it to the kids market in America. Instead we have sanitized happy-only, care-bears style shows for kids, where nothing bad ever happens. Then these kids commit suicide, or over dose on heroin, in order to cope with the harsh realities of life.

It's these same people, who have never faced adversity, that when there's a rumor of a cough somewhere, they freak out.

Now I would say that there is some amount of politics involved.

Namely, the US is over-run with hate filled people, who are more interested in gaining power, than they are in what is good or not for the country.

To that end, they are screaming that Trump isn't doing enough, and whipping up the public into reactionism that Trump isn't doing enough.
And Trump, is naturally responding to the criticisms by doing more.

So there is a level of freakout, that is caused by politics.

However, I think we need to understand, that the political situation is influenced by the public. If you were to somehow flip the people groups around, and leave the government in place.... the situations would be reversed.

If the Democrats and Republicans were over in Japan... it wouldn't work. Trying to whip the public up, simply wouldn't happen.
Equally if you brought the legislature of Japan to the US, I would be very much willing to bet that we would still have the same freak out. The public unable to handle something bad happening, would demand that the Japanese legislature save them, and then they would act, which would result in more freaking out.

So much :lol: in that post!

Naruto as cultural exemplar! :lol: it’s a comic book! And despite what the professor of anthropology seems to think, the cartoon has been on TV in the US for a long time.

And while people there haven’t been going lockdown crazy like here, folks have been buying every roll of TP they can get their hands on and such.

Japanese media are not freaking out.

So I have a couple of contrarian replies to this.

First, We've seen this several times in the past with Japan. The Great Kantu earthquake of 1923, the Sea of Japan 1985, Hokkaido 1993, of course Tsumai of 2011. And there have been numerous illness outbreaks in that area as well. The Asian flu of 1956, the Hong Kong flu in the 1960s, Sars in 2004, and a few others.

I remember hearing the exact same thing in 2011, and 2004, and in the 1990s, that reporters would go to Japan expecting to find riots and chaos and looting and hording, and finding nothing.

The Japanese people have a different sort of culture. They are not culturally disposed to going insane, and acting like animals.

This cultural difference extends to the very raising of their children, in a way that is completely foreign to US, and I'd suggest many western countries.

For example, a extremely popular children's animation program, called Naruto. In this anime, in the first season, Naruto faces an assassin and his friend, who die together. The confrontation of tough and real hardship and the pains of life, continues throughout the entire anime, to the Naurtos god-father and only remaining family dying, to an attack on their city leaving it in total ruins, and a woman falling to her knees wailing in despair.

Now that isn't to say all the episodes were misery and terror. Of course not. But just like real life, bad things happen, and even kids shows in Japan, confront the tough issues of life, that things do not always, or even often, go your way.

None of this would ever make it to the kids market in America. Instead we have sanitized happy-only, care-bears style shows for kids, where nothing bad ever happens. Then these kids commit suicide, or over dose on heroin, in order to cope with the harsh realities of life.

It's these same people, who have never faced adversity, that when there's a rumor of a cough somewhere, they freak out.

Now I would say that there is some amount of politics involved.

Namely, the US is over-run with hate filled people, who are more interested in gaining power, than they are in what is good or not for the country.

To that end, they are screaming that Trump isn't doing enough, and whipping up the public into reactionism that Trump isn't doing enough.
And Trump, is naturally responding to the criticisms by doing more.

So there is a level of freakout, that is caused by politics.

However, I think we need to understand, that the political situation is influenced by the public. If you were to somehow flip the people groups around, and leave the government in place.... the situations would be reversed.

If the Democrats and Republicans were over in Japan... it wouldn't work. Trying to whip the public up, simply wouldn't happen.
Equally if you brought the legislature of Japan to the US, I would be very much willing to bet that we would still have the same freak out. The public unable to handle something bad happening, would demand that the Japanese legislature save them, and then they would act, which would result in more freaking out.

I agree with your thoughts. But I think the sensationalized Anti-Trump media in the USA is playing a larger part of the panic. They are "all in" to destroy Trump and if that means destroying the economy and the lives of millions of the unwashed masses, so be it. Bill Maher the big nosed loser said it in plain English- Maher: I'm "Hoping" For "A Crashing Economy" So We Can Get Rid Of Trump, "Bring On The Recession"!

And there are plenty more LWNJ's just like him. We are in a war folks, but it isn't against the Wuhan Virus.

Oh, and politicians and parties bicker and are sharply divided there just like here. Like here, this is largely driven by a very biased media.

MY guess to the question you posed in your thread title would be because Japan has always been careful about who they let into their country. The percentage of illegal immigrants living there is most likely staggeringly low compared to that here in the US.

BINGO! ;)

Lots and lots of tourists from China go to Japan all the time.

MY guess to the question you posed in your thread title would be because Japan has always been careful about who they let into their country. The percentage of illegal immigrants living there is most likely staggeringly low compared to that here in the US.

BINGO! ;)

Yes, but still, it doesn't compare with the hordes of invaders .....totally different situation, day and night.

BINGO! ;)

Yes, but still, it doesn't compare with the hordes of invaders .....totally different situation, day and night.

Not for spreading a virus.

The word you were looking for is “Japanese.”

No

BINGO! ;)

Which proves that most of the people that have this so called "deadly virus" have no symptoms or very mild symptom. That is why Japan is not freaking out, it's not worthy of a freak out.

No

BINGO! ;)

Which proves that most of the people that have this so called "deadly virus" have no symptoms or very mild symptom. That is why Japan is not freaking out, it's not worthy of a freak out.

Unless you get it.

No

BINGO! ;)

Unless you get it.

And if you DO get it, it's highly treatable. So your point is moot.

Well if you survived two nuclear bombs and steady daily bombing

Why worry about a virus

No

BINGO! ;)

Unless you get it.

Not worried. But please feel free to cower in fear.

No

BINGO! ;)

Unless you get it.

And if you DO get it, it's highly treatable. ....

Unless you're dead.

No

BINGO! ;)

Unless you get it.

Not worried. .....

I take it you're out there shaking hands and hugging everyone you can get your hands on? Some real good prices on trips to Italy. Why not take advantage of the opportunity, tough guy?

Japan has one of the toughest immigration policies in the world! I love that!

They know what tradition is , they understand the concept! they love their roots they want to keep them!!!!

Bless them, bless Japan

No

BINGO! ;)

Unless you get it.

Unless you're dead.

It's NOT killing very many, Unky, unless you're elderly with pre-existing health problems. On another topic, we haven't seen or heard from your buddy Jitss since last Thursday. I wonder if HE has the Wu Flu?

No

BINGO! ;)

Unless you get it.

Unless you're dead.

It's NOT killing very many, Unky, unless you're elderly with pre-existing health problems. On another topic, we haven't seen or heard from your buddy Jitss since last Thursday. I wonder if HE has the Wu Flu?

He's got a terminal case of the Stupid. Medical science can only do so much.

Why aren't the Japanese freaking out?
And if you DO get it, it's highly treatable.
The Japanese are being "reasonable" in this respect, as far as the Japanese are concerned with the situation in Japan.
Japan has one of the toughest immigration policies in the world! I love that!
On the other hand, WWII-era politics of Japanese ethnocentrism, racial purity, and xenophobia are returning in full vigor.

With the polite cough of social distancing, while wearing an industrial dust mask, those political forces are driving paranoia, draconian health measures, and totalitarian government crackdowns in countries of "impure" race like the United States.

Forum List

Back