Why Kids Aren’t Falling in Love With Reading, let's teach them about the magic of books!

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
i read 5 books at once, sometimes more, i also listen to audiobooks. no one in the world reads as much as me, and has a broad outlook on a VARIETY OF TOPICS as much as me. also, reading is sometimes useful for my work as an oppo researcher. i chose a profession i love, my friends!

• Banned
I USED to read a lot more before I started surfing on the Internet about 15 or so years ago. I NEED to start reading more again.
i can give reccomedations. i know the best stuff in all genres. what genres do you read?

I complained formally to our school system back when our first was in middle school. Every book they read was depressing or dystopian. Numerous Holocaust books. Yellow Fever. Post-global warming apocalypses. Had sixth graders read Black Cat, by Poe. Happy little story that gives the kids a first person view of a psychopathic animal abuser and murderer. This was in the middle of something of a suicide crisis amongst teens around here. No effect. Still the same. Rarely an uplifting, motivating, or feel good book ever through high school. It's unreal.

• Banned
In the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, Pope Francis told an interviewer, “We need to recover our memory because memory will come to our aid.”1 Such pontifical advice finds application well beyond his own flock. Recovering from the ill effects of American Exceptionalism will entail remembering things most Americans would rather forget.

The “history” that shapes our political consciousness—and therefore legitimates the use of U.S. military and economic power—consists almost entirely of selectively remembered events. And while what we choose to remember, carefully curated to remove or conceal unbecoming details, may be convenient, the results come nowhere near to offering a complete and accurate record of the past.

- from the Andrew Bacevich Book After The Apocalypse

I love to read. I worked in a library while I was in high school. I have a 600+ title private library. I read both physical books and I use an e-reader.

Children seem to have such a short attention span these days and schools do such a terrible job of bringing interesting and exciting stories, books, etc… to the attention of our young children. Additionally, so few parents read to their kids anymore that it’s not seen as a regular activity.

I USED to read a lot more before I started surfing on the Internet about 15 or so years ago. I NEED to start reading more again.
I could be looking at the matter wrong, but if you know how to read, I don't believe that you ever stopped since surfing the net does require knowing how to read. A lot of people read their books online now that it is an option anyway.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

i read books online. have barely read any physical books in ages, though i have many unread physical ones

Forum List

Back