Why Isn't America Great?

So you are tying to make the false claim that we were the only country to have slaves.
You had them longer and kept them without the vote longer than other developed nations. You still have the largest prison population. You can't admit any of this.

and here's a leftist proving my point

Is New Zealand full of these leftists you talk about?

the fuck do I care about NZ?

what does it have to do with the USA?

You were arguing with someone from New Zealand and calling them a leftist "proving your point".
I was just trying to figure out why you gave two hoots what they thought ... Or how what they thought had anything worthwhile to argue with.

you had most of this conversation in your head.

I don't care where anyone is from.

So you are tying to make the false claim that we were the only country to have slaves.
You had them longer and kept them without the vote longer than other developed nations. You still have the largest prison population. You can't admit any of this.
that's a lie
another lie
NK has cities full of people that will never leave prison, even if they are just born there.

are you the NZ dick Bsand is talking about?

one of the invaders that took land from the natives?

I was just trying to figure out why you gave two hoots what they thought ... Or how what they thought had anything worthwhile to argue with.
I'm wondering why he's [twothumbs] responding to the OP as he doesn't care what anyone thinks of the US.

Okay, so maybe I'm just a patriot at heart, but I firmly believe that America is (currently) a great nation, and one of the best places to live on the planet. I've been fortunate enough to have a pretty colored life, having been in the military, being deployed twice, working minimum wage service jobs in my youth, doing a couple years in tech (and hating it), to now going back to school and getting my ass kicked while pursuing a business degree.

I mean there are kids in school half my age and, due to how prosperous we are as a nation, I'm able to have not really had a super stable career and be going to school in the middle of my life. I've been to third world nations, and have the opportunity to speak to kids from around the world at my university...and I've seen how great we have it...and I love every second about it. I'm glad that I was raised in this nation and I'm proud to see how much we are doing and what we have offered to the world.

However, it really seems that a lot of people have no clue how great we are. You look at the media and Trump and his supporters wanting to "make America great again"...insinuating we aren't great now...and you really have to wonder. We have the best education systems, the most well-known and copied culture, corporations that are the largest and most powerful in the world, the strongest military (by far)...I mean by almost every measure we are great. Why do so many people think the opposite?

Now, this isn't to say we don't have problems...our growing divide between ourselves politically, racially, economically is probably the most concerning issue for me...but what nation doesn't have issues?

I just wanted to ask people who think that America isn't great, to please explain why they think so.
The American people are great. American politicians are lying scum who should be regularly imprisoned and denigrated.

America is not great today because the central government is unlimited and controlled by a very small elite.

I doubt Trump is going to fix anything.

took moments to prove that you are a liar
Another developed nation? Rather it took moments to demonstrate your reading comprehension.

How come you keep comparing the US to the worst nations in the world to show how free it is?

Last edited:
until you admit you lied, any question will be assumed to lead to another lie that I will have to disprove.
All you can prove is your lack of reading comprehension which you have already done. Ok, that's not quite true, you can also prove how dumb you are, and prove your inability to link to cites, fair enough.

Define "great." There are dozens of good definitions. For concise insight in matters national, my favorite metric is "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." As I read the Declaration, that's what the goals of the United States government are.

Because of the axiom that "all men are created equal," we have to apply that three-pronged yardstick to every American, not just those on the upper rungs. For this reason, the key data sample is the bottom fifth. Whatever we come up with there, we can be pretty sure that things aren't that bad higher up the ladder. That's some sixty million folks, a big enough sample to correct for local conditions, unique outliers etc.

1. Life: How long do those people live? What do they die from?
2. Liberty: How many of those folks are confined by the power of the state?
3. Pursuit of happiness: Unhappiness is easier to measure than happiness, so let's start there. What are the indicators of unhappiness? Violence? Addiction and dependency? Broken homes? Dysfunctional communities? We all persue happiness; how many of those sixty million Americans are managing to catch it?

We don't all agree that these are the criteria and we don't all agree on the data. i'm not giving my assessment of our greatness here, I'm just trying to outline how I approach the issue myself.

Thread has far far too many CDZ violations to be cleaned but there is good discussion as well. Moving it to Politics.

Okay, so maybe I'm just a patriot at heart, but I firmly believe that America is (currently) a great nation, and one of the best places to live on the planet. I've been fortunate enough to have a pretty colored life, having been in the military, being deployed twice, working minimum wage service jobs in my youth, doing a couple years in tech (and hating it), to now going back to school and getting my ass kicked while pursuing a business degree.

I mean there are kids in school half my age and, due to how prosperous we are as a nation, I'm able to have not really had a super stable career and be going to school in the middle of my life. I've been to third world nations, and have the opportunity to speak to kids from around the world at my university...and I've seen how great we have it...and I love every second about it. I'm glad that I was raised in this nation and I'm proud to see how much we are doing and what we have offered to the world.

However, it really seems that a lot of people have no clue how great we are. You look at the media and Trump and his supporters wanting to "make America great again"...insinuating we aren't great now...and you really have to wonder. We have the best education systems, the most well-known and copied culture, corporations that are the largest and most powerful in the world, the strongest military (by far)...I mean by almost every measure we are great. Why do so many people think the opposite?

Now, this isn't to say we don't have problems...our growing divide between ourselves politically, racially, economically is probably the most concerning issue for me...but what nation doesn't have issues?

I just wanted to ask people who think that America isn't great, to please explain why they think so.
Same here. I'm retired military, multiple deployments. I've seen the world's worst shitholes, and man's inhumanity to man in living color. Revolutions, genocide, you name it.

It also annoys the shit out of me to hear people like Trump trashing America and saying we are not a great country. He's a clueless fucking asshole.

Forum List

Back