Why is there no qualification test for politicians?

expatobserver

Rookie
Aug 23, 2022
One of the biggest problems about democracy, is that even the dumbest idiot can run for election. This is laudatory for the principles of freedom, but it can have disastrous consequences if the dumb nut gets elected. Just look at the range of dingbats that are in the US Congress and Senate, and most likely, other state and local jurisdictions.

If you want to obtain US citizenship, you will have to sit a reasonably difficult test to verify that you understand the basic facts about the US system, From what I have seen, there are elected lawmakers who would fail this test.

Herschel Walker is probably the best (worst) example of what I am trying to illustrate. Just imagine what would happen if the electorate put that guy in the senate.

As a start, Congress should set basic qualifications for representatives. To be a teacher, a lawyer, an engineer, or any other position you have to be qualified. If you are going to be a lawmaker, then prove that you know how the law works, and how government functions. Let's put an end to electing people to congress who only make government more disreputable.

And while we are at it, put in a test to weed out election deniers, conspiracy proponents and people who are proven liars.

When it comes to that last sentence of your OP (Opening Post) who decides on this "weed out" and how?

As for the rest of it, this nation was founded on the concept of an informed and concerned electorate(citizens~voters).

In theory the Voters should be doing the "qualification test", especially via their voting.

What you propose is just another attempt to shirk voter/citizen duty, have someone else do your thinking and deciding for you.

Until you get better at learning and informing yourself on the issues and candidates that will be on your ballot, I'd hope you don't vote. Not voting is better than uninformed voting.

Over the last 30 years those who waved their plastic hand and provided a sly smile were often nothing more than diplomatic crooks who subverted their own economies and national interests sometimes without a semblance of balance or any benefit to their constituents.

Trump and those like him were the backlash.

You want democracy? How about a minimum of four Parties running for ANY office, equal tax funded advertising coverage and NO corporate donations and limited individual donations with strict laws.

The only way to ensure that the best rise to the top in a capitalist democracy is with free, fair, equal access to media and reasonable competition, not "Choice A or Choice B".

Last edited:
One of the biggest problems about democracy, is that even the dumbest idiot can run for election. This is laudatory for the principles of freedom, but it can have disastrous consequences if the dumb nut gets elected. Just look at the range of dingbats that are in the US Congress and Senate, and most likely, other state and local jurisdictions.

If you want to obtain US citizenship, you will have to sit a reasonably difficult test to verify that you understand the basic facts about the US system, From what I have seen, there are elected lawmakers who would fail this test.

Herschel Walker is probably the best (worst) example of what I am trying to illustrate. Just imagine what would happen if the electorate put that guy in the senate.

As a start, Congress should set basic qualifications for representatives. To be a teacher, a lawyer, an engineer, or any other position you have to be qualified. If you are going to be a lawmaker, then prove that you know how the law works, and how government functions. Let's put an end to electing people to congress who only make government more disreputable.

And while we are at it, put in a test to weed out election deniers, conspiracy proponents and people who are proven liars.
I don't think that's such a bad idea, really. A test similar to a citizenship test and including basic government design and function would force a candidate that twerks upside down in a thong to at least encounter information about how democracy works.

Last edited:
If you suggest a not fully informed voter should not vote.. then include most of those that only watch Fox. Are they "fully informed"?

ALso.. look at how Australia does it. You get fined if you do not vote. It is the law.

The problem is will you end up weeding out the good people? Who controls all of this?

Simply put it's up to the people as far as vetting a hopeful.....That is why congress critters and POTUS/VP do not need a security clearance to participate in sensitive matters pertaining to national security.

Once elected they are considered vetted by the voters that elected them.....Never mind that a large percentage of them would never get a security clearance otherwise......Sorta messed-up as far as I am concerned but it is what it is.

I don't think that's such a bad idea, really. A test similar to a citizenship test and including basic government design and function would force a candidate that twerks upside down in a thong to at least encounter information about how democracy works.

That democrat's ass has an higher IQ than her brain.

You guys did that... It was called Literacy Tests...

If you can't explain your positions simply, then you don't understand the subject matter.
Im not talking about literacy tests. That isnt hard enough. Im trying to cut out 75% of the electorate ;)

People are fucking stupid bro.
Look at the retards they vote for. JUST LOOK

I have... With the exception of Trump, most of them tend to be very successful and intelligent.

The problem is, the crazy bomb-thrower like Majorie Taylor Greene or Alexandra Osacio-Cortez get all the attention because they are loud and entertaining...

Because it would not be a democracy then and you are asking for something that simply cannot be done. What do you think will happen with that test when the party you do not like gains control of it?

They use it to ensure they maintain power.

You cannot fix people voting for dumb shit by trying to keep dumb shit off the ballot. Simply not going to happen. It's not like dumb can be perfectly filtered.

I have... With the exception of Trump, most of them tend to be very successful and intelligent.

The problem is, the crazy bomb-thrower like Majorie Taylor Greene or Alexandra Osacio-Cortez get all the attention because they are loud and entertaining...
Yeah, most of congress and our presidents have been fucking great :lol:
These people arent corrupt! They arent liars!

Forum List

Back