Why is hypnosis not used in police interrogations?

There is probably a good reason.

And why doesn't the FBI and the CIA use hypnosis to interrogate?

They spent millions to develop drugs for interrogation such as LSD and so on. They also use lie detectors. But not hypnosis. Why is that?
people cannot be hypnotized against their will.

and FYI "lie detectors" do not detect lies and are based on junk science

People can absolutely get hypnotized against their will. Before cameras were common in shops, stage hypnotists often went and got for example cashiers to hand cash to them out of their tills. And the cashiers had no memory that they did it even when they got fired for theft.

no they can't.

and it's easy to confuse a cashier

Yrs they can. And if you get more time with your intended victim, like if you are her coworker or family member or neighbor, the easier it gets, because the brain gradually breaks down in frequent repeated hypnosis. That is why medical literature restricts hypnosis to be short and only once a week for ethical practitioners.
prove it.

give me a link to a scientific study that proves people can be hypnotized against their will

Ok. Here is one scientific study from the Human Givens Institute, but YouTube too is full of them by people who are proud to do it because it is against the will of their victims. For example you shake the hand of your new friend and in the same time you wave your other hand close to her eyes. Classic rapid induction, instantaneous trance.

that is not a scientific study.

that is an essay on the ethics of using hypnosis

The dangers of hypnosis a real. It lists side effects such as chronic anxiety, headaches, increased suggestibility, and so on. It even reports a scientifically acknowledged statistics that for example if a therapist has multiple clients who will call in to cancel sessions on a day, then the therapist will feel this in his will no less and will wish he had less sessions to do that day, before the telephones even start ringing for the cancellations. Hypnotists and psychiatrists have a technical term for this called thought transference and it is formally taught in medical schools.

people who go to a hypnotherapist are willing to be hypnotized.

You said any person on the street can by hypnotized against their will

you have to prove that

Any person the street can be hypnotized against their will. You don't need to be a medical doctor for that. Every stage hypnotists can say, that if you try often enough, you will find the right combination to hypnotize your target. Anyone can becactarget. If you don't succeedvthevforst time, become his parent or coworker or neighbor orvteacher and so on. All you need is time. This is an industry, and I was wondering if police participates in it too. The KGB andcthevgestapo did.
then show me the scientific proof that supports your claims

I already did. Now you show me your scientific proof that some sort of a permission is needed for hypnosis to be successful.
no you did not you linked to an essay on the ethics of using hypnosis and how it can be abused.

There was nothing in that essay that said any person can walk up to any other person at random and hypnotize them.

No one can just walk up to you and hypnotize you

Ok then you can search YouTube and the internet with keywords like rapid induction hypnosis or covert conversational hypnosis.

In this link, you can find references to the pioneering medical works if Braid and Erickson in this subject.

just because there is a you tube video saying you can hypnotize any random stranger you meet doesn't make it true.

Which is why I asked for a reference to a scientific study.

and i doubt a video by "rebel magic" will meet any scientific standard.

how gullible are you?

Maybe you can read the link. When you ask for scientific proof, prideful answers don't cut it. Like I mentioned in my previous post, the link refers to the medical works that establish this practice. There can be many more links, probable better links. But this too answers your question.

you are intentionally lumping hypnosis in a therapeutic setting with entertainment

nothing in any therapeutic hypnosis literature says that any Tom Dick or Harry can walk up to you at your job and hypnotize you so you hand over all the cash in the register.

Therapeutic literature includes how to hypnotize people who are very difficult to hypnotize. This is what rapid induction hypnosis was developed for.

Most therapists don't use rapid induction, so that the patient retains a feeling of self control. But you don't have to. Even in a therapy session, if the patient can't go under hypnosis, but it is necessary, then the therapist switches over to rapid induction.

Rapid induction is based on introducing a shock in the environment that the senses can't process. Such as most frequently dual eye focusing.

So the answer is negative.

They spent millions to develop drugs for interrogation such as LSD and so on. They also use lie detectors. But not hypnosis. Why is that?
The person being hypnotized has to be cooperative. You cannot hypnotized a person against their will.

Yes you can hypnotize a person against his will when you use rapid induction, because the foundation of every hypnosis is the removal if critical and analytical thinking, in order to start the trance.

When the induction is slow, you retain enough control to resist. When the induction is faster than your reflexes, then you have no control over the induction.

And reflexes are not fast, the therapist needs to be faster than one second of time only. It is standard practice, both in medicine and on stage entertainment.

I can't be hypnotized, even when I'm willing. I'm sure I'm not the only one. And they say that even when you're hypnotized, it won't cause you to do something completely against your will, like murder, for instance.

Polygraphs are pretty good indicators of whether someone is lying. Not 100%, so not good enough to be used in court, but our state police use them in interrogations. A person who refuses one usually is hiding something.

Then tell your therapist to use a raid induction technique on you. After a few tries, he will have the correct combination that matches your psychology to induce you into a trance, whether you want it or not.

I can't be hypnotized, even when I'm willing. I'm sure I'm not the only one. And they say that even when you're hypnotized, it won't cause you to do something completely against your will, like murder, for instance.

Polygraphs are pretty good indicators of whether someone is lying. Not 100%, so not good enough to be used in court, but our state police use them in interrogations. A person who refuses one usually is hiding something.
A friend of mine who is a therapist taught me to hypnotize myself. If I am stressed out I can put myself under and go to a peaceful place. It works really well.

Don't do it. It weakens you because it slowly alters your brain. You will be increasingly susceptible to all kinds of suggestions, not only from your therapist. Dangerous.

The person being hypnotized has to be cooperative. You cannot hypnotized a person against their will.

Yes you can hypnotize a person against his will when you use rapid induction, because the foundation of every hypnosis is the removal if critical and analytical thinking, in order to start the trance.

When the induction is slow, you retain enough control to resist. When the induction is faster than your reflexes, then you have no control over the induction.

And reflexes are not fast, the therapist needs to be faster than one second of time only. It is standard practice, both in medicine and on stage entertainment.
If a person did not want to be hypnotized, the police would not be able to do it.

A friend of mine who is a therapist taught me to hypnotize myself. If I am stressed out I can put myself under and go to a peaceful place. It works really well.

Don't do it. It weakens you because it slowly alters your brain. You will be increasingly susceptible to all kinds of suggestions, not only from your therapist. Dangerous.
I rarely do it. I have done it 2 or 3 times. My therapist is also a good friend and would warn me if I was doing anything dangerous.

If a person did not want to be hypnotized, the police would not be able to do it.

With rapid induction covert conversational hypnosis they would be able to do it. They would be able to put all kinds of suggestions and false memories into you. Anything to make them win. And you would not even know it until it catches you at surprise.

With rapid induction covert conversational hypnosis they would be able to do it. They would be able to put all kinds of suggestions and false memories into you. Anything to make them win. And you would not even know it until it catches you at surprise.
You cannot put suggestions in people's heads under hypnotism unless they are open to them.

You cannot put suggestions in people's heads under hypnotism unless they are open to them.
In that case the fact is that everybody is open to everything. Once you see for example a crime story on TV, you become open for a hypnotist to find it and use it as a suggestion on you. Therefore this openness problem is as immaterial as claiming that the devil can't get you unless you invite it. False memories is another well documented result of hypnosis.

in reality only about 10% of people can be deeply hypnotized in a therapeutic setting

it's called meditation.

In that case the fact is that everybody is open to everything. Once you see for example a crime story on TV, you become open for a hypnotist to find it and use it as a suggestion on you. Therefore this openness problem is as immaterial as claiming that the devil can't get you unless you invite it. False memories is another well documented result of hypnosis.

so now any Tom Dick or Harry can walk up to you on the street, hypnotize you in a few seconds without you knowing it and turn you into a criminal because you watched a TV show?

Can you hear how absolutely stupid that statement sounds?

Lots of reasons, one being that just like in dreams, the "sub" conscious can come up with some incoherent ramblings and could and would probably state things as true that are totally dreamed up.

People can absolutely get hypnotized against their will. Before cameras were common in shops, stage hypnotists often went and got for example cashiers to hand cash to them out of their tills. And the cashiers had no memory that they did it even when they got fired for theft.

no they can't.

Yrs they can. And if you get more time with your intended victim, like if you are her coworker or family member or neighbor, the easier it gets, because the brain gradually breaks down in frequent repeated hypnosis. That is why medical literature restricts hypnosis to be short and only once a week for ethical practitioners.
prove it.

give me a link to a scientific study that proves people can be hypnotized against their will

Ok. Here is one scientific study from the Human Givens Institute, but YouTube too is full of them by people who are proud to do it because it is against the will of their victims. For example you shake the hand of your new friend and in the same time you wave your other hand close to her eyes. Classic rapid induction, instantaneous trance.

The dangers of hypnosis a real. It lists side effects such as chronic anxiety, headaches, increased suggestibility, and so on. It even reports a scientifically acknowledged statistics that for example if a therapist has multiple clients who will call in to cancel sessions on a day, then the therapist will feel this in his will no less and will wish he had less sessions to do that day, before the telephones even start ringing for the cancellations. Hypnotists and psychiatrists have a technical term for this called thought transference and it is formally taught in medical schools.

you have to prove that

Any person the street can be hypnotized against their will. You don't need to be a medical doctor for that. Every stage hypnotists can say, that if you try often enough, you will find the right combination to hypnotize your target. Anyone can becactarget. If you don't succeedvthevforst time, become his parent or coworker or neighbor orvteacher and so on. All you need is time. This is an industry, and I was wondering if police participates in it too. The KGB andcthevgestapo did.

I already did. Now you show me your scientific proof that some sort of a permission is needed for hypnosis to be successful.
no you did not you linked to an essay on the ethics of using hypnosis and how it can be abused.

There was nothing in that essay that said any person can walk up to any other person at random and hypnotize them.

Ok then you can search YouTube and the internet with keywords like rapid induction hypnosis or covert conversational hypnosis.

In this link, you can find references to the pioneering medical works if Braid and Erickson in this subject.

just because there is a you tube video saying you can hypnotize any random stranger you meet doesn't make it true.

how gullible are you?

Maybe you can read the link. When you ask for scientific proof, prideful answers don't cut it. Like I mentioned in my previous post, the link refers to the medical works that establish this practice. There can be many more links, probable better links. But this too answers your question.

you are intentionally lumping hypnosis in a therapeutic setting with entertainment

nothing in any therapeutic hypnosis literature says that any Tom Dick or Harry can walk up to you at your job and hypnotize you so you hand over all the cash in the register.

Therapeutic literature includes how to hypnotize people who are very difficult to hypnotize. This is what rapid induction hypnosis was developed for.

Most therapists don't use rapid induction, so that the patient retains a feeling of self control. But you don't have to. Even in a therapy session, if the patient can't go under hypnosis, but it is necessary, then the therapist switches over to rapid induction.

Rapid induction is based on introducing a shock in the environment that the senses can't process. Such as most frequently dual eye focusing.

Show me where in any therapeutic literature it says that a stranger who walks up to you on the street can hypnotize you in a few seconds without you knowing it.

It cannot be done

it's called meditation.
I also do meditation. This is hypnotism.

so now any Tom Dick or Harry can walk up to you on the street, hypnotize you in a few seconds without you knowing it and turn you into a criminal because you watched a TV show?

Can you hear how absolutely stupid that statement sounds?
Hehe you may make it sound stupid, but if time is on their side then absolutely yes and that is the scientific fact. Otherwise they can force you to small stupid things only which are against your nature.

no they can't.

prove it.

you have to prove that

how gullible are you?

Show me where in any therapeutic literature it says that a stranger who walks up to you on the street can hypnotize you in a few seconds without you knowing it.

It cannot be done
Yes it can. And it is not for the purpose of some therapy.

Forum List

Back