Why I didnt like The Dark Knight Rises ( MAJOR SPOILERS )

Vidi

CDZ prohibited
Mar 19, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
WARNING: This post will contain MAJOR spoilers. If you have not seen the movie yet, DO NOT READ!

Still here?

Ok.

Alright, so I actually did like the film. It was better than Batman Begins ( not hard tehre ) but no where near as good as The Dark Knight ( Heath Ledgers Joker is the greatest comic book movie performance of all time. )

But I had some major problems with the story. I am only going to address the biggest one and that is Superman.

Batman exists within a specific universe. In that universe, he is not the only super hero. He is one of many and they have in fact formed a league, maybe youve heard of it. Somewhere in that universe, on the DC planet Earth is a city called Metropolis. In Metropolis another hero happens to fight crime and his name is Superman.

Superman is invunerable, can move as the speed of light and happens to be a rather smart cookie in his own right.

So when Bane takes Gotham hostage for TWENTY THREE DAYS!!!! I think maybe...just maybe...Superman might has heard something about it on the news. He is a fucking reporter after all!!!

Superman could have sped in there found the bomb and thrown it in the sun before Bane or Talia even knew something was wrong. After that, he would have restored order in under an hour. Scarecrows Kanagroo court? Over. Bane? Thrown back into the pit. And Bruce Waynes Batman? Irrelevent.

I get that Superman cant be everywhere at once. And in the first two movies, those situtaions were transpiring RIGHT NOW, and Batman was on the job. But in The Dark Knight Rises, Batman has only appeared ONCE in eight years. And Gotham was held hostage for over three weeks.

Surely that was a job for Superman!

Disclaimer: I realize that in the Nolan Universe, Superman probably doesnt exist. But the whole time I'm sitting there watching this film slowly get to the fucking point ( the 1% are awesome. The "people" are animals. Thanks, Nolan. ) I kept thinking, if this was the DC universe, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern...fuck...even Aquaman would have shown up to deal with this Bane by now.

Last edited:
WARNING: This post will contain MAJOR spoilers. If you have not seen the movie yet, DO NOT READ!

Still here?

Ok.

Alright, so I actually did like the film. It was better than Batman Begins ( not hard tehre ) but no where near as good as The Dark Knight ( Heath Ledgers Joker is the greatest comic book movie performance of all time. )

But I had some major problems with the story. I am only going to address the biggest one and that is Superman.

Batman exists within a specific universe. In that universe, he is not the only super hero. He is one of many and they have in fact formed a league, maybe youve heard of it. Somewhere in that universe, on the DC planet Earth is a city called Metropolis. In Metropolis another hero happens to fight crime and his name is Superman.

Superman is invunerable, can move as the speed of light and happens to be a rather smart cookie in his own right.

So when Bane takes Gotham hostage for TWENTY THREE DAYS!!!! I think maybe...just maybe...Superman might has heard something about it on the news. He is a fucking reporter after all!!!

Superman could have sped in there found the bomb and thrown it in the sun before Bane or Talia even knew something was wrong. After that, he would have restored order in under an hour. Scarecrows Kanagroo court? Over. Bane? Thrown back into the pit. And Bruce Waynes Batman? Irrelevent.

I get that Superman cant be everywhere at once. And in the first two movies, those situtaions were transpiring RIGHT NOW, and Batman was on the job. But in The Dark Knight Rises, Batman has only appeared ONCE in eight years. And Gotham was held hostage for over three weeks.

Disclaimer: I realize that in the Nolan Universe, Superman probably doesnt exist. But the whole time I'm sitting there watching this film slowly get to the fucking point ( the 1% are awesome. The "people" are animals. Thanks, Nolan. ) I kept thinking, if this was the DC universe, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern...fuck...even Aquaman would have shown up to deal with this Bane by now.

I could never figure out why you would need any other superhero to help Superman.
Especially a weakling like Batman.

Still here?

Ok.

I could never figure out why you would need any other superhero to help Superman.

Batman is the only person that has ever successfully devised a way to neutralize every other Hero. He is not a "Super" Hero, he is a mortal man that trained himself to the levels he preforms at. He is NOT a weakling. He has defeated Super Villains on his own.

simple explanation....before the Justice League, superheroes didn't mess with one another's territory. I am sure that Superman wanted to help, but it was out of his jurisdiction.

On a lighter note......don't people just watch and enjoy movies anymore? I mean, with Superhero movies, you have to suspend belief anyway. I was always a much bigger fan of Marvel than DC comics. personally? other than the Dark Knight series, Marvel has been kicking butt on the superhero movies. I haven't seen the Avengers yet. I was a little disappointed with Ghost Rider, as it was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Haven't seen the sequel to that either....oh yeah, the first Hulk movie sucked too.

good subject though...Superhero movies are one of my favorite genres.

Still here?

Ok.

Batman is the only person that has ever successfully devised a way to neutralize every other Hero. He is not a "Super" Hero, he is a mortal man that trained himself to the levels he preforms at. He is NOT a weakling. He has defeated Super Villains on his own.

If you use Superman as the reference point, he doesn't even make it up to weakling grade I'm sorry.

The title should be 'The Dark Lord of the Boo Ring'.

But that title should already have been used on previous efforts.

I think the thing is, Nolan tried to write a Batman who existed in a real world with real technology, not one full of space aliens and magic and meta-human powers. (Have to say Metahuman in the DC Universe, Marvel's got the rights to "Mutant".)

Ras' al-Ghul was not an immortal mastermind kept alive by Lazarus Pits. He was just a guy who ran a secret society. Bane was not a super-powered luchadore who used chemicals to boost his strength. He's just a really strong thug. The Joker was a guy wearing makeup, not a guy who had his skin bleached after being dropped in an acid bath.

So there probably aren't any other heroes.

simple explanation....before the Justice League, superheroes didn't mess with one another's territory. I am sure that Superman wanted to help, but it was out of his jurisdiction.

On a lighter note......don't people just watch and enjoy movies anymore? I mean, with Superhero movies, you have to suspend belief anyway. I was always a much bigger fan of Marvel than DC comics. personally? other than the Dark Knight series, Marvel has been kicking butt on the superhero movies. I haven't seen the Avengers yet. I was a little disappointed with Ghost Rider, as it was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Haven't seen the sequel to that either....oh yeah, the first Hulk movie sucked too.

I do. I thought Dark Knight Rises was the best of the new Batman series.

There were enough issues with TDKR, there's no need to make one up and worry about why Superman isn't there! :lol:

The Dark Knight was clearly the best of the 3, and still the best comic book (hero) movie to have been made.

I do. I thought Dark Knight Rises was the best of the new Batman series.

Better than the Dark Knight? Really?

The Dark Knight Rises has the same main character arc as Rocky III.

Bane had the eye of the tiger, kicked Batmans ass, Batman deals with fear issues, then the aging champion returns to beat Bane/Clubber Lang.

Its a superhero movie. One that exists within a superhero universe.

( I realize that Nolanverse most likely doesnt have any other superheros )

I was sitting there trying to push the idea that "this is a job for Superman" out of my head, but just couldnt do it.

SUBTOPIC:

Now that Nolan is done, we will probably see yet another Batman reboot. Wouldnt it be great if we didnt have to do the damned origin story again though?

I don't want a Batman reboot, but with WB looking at making a Justice League movie, it's probably inevitable.

Assuming any reboot is made specifically to tie into a JL movie, you almost need to do at least a bit of an origin story. It will have to distance itself from Nolan's movies, both to create the canon for the JL character and fit into that universe, but also because it will probably be made so soon after this series of movies just ended.

I don't much like the idea, but to be fair, I thought the Amazing Spider Man was an excellent reboot despite how soon after the Raimi movies it came. On the other hand, I was never a big fan of those films; I thought they were too cheesy by a long shot, I wasn't impressed with the acting or writing, I truly don't understand why they are so beloved (well, the first 2 anyway....and in a related point, why is Spider Man 2 considered so great? It was inferior to the first one). If a Batman reboot comes soon, I will cross my fingers but expect a failure.

I also find myself wondering if Man of Steel is going to fit into a Justice League universe? Meh, I'm not really excited about the possibility of a JL movie anyway. :tongue:

I don't want a Batman reboot, but with WB looking at making a Justice League movie, it's probably inevitable.

Assuming any reboot is made specifically to tie into a JL movie, you almost need to do at least a bit of an origin story. It will have to distance itself from Nolan's movies, both to create the canon for the JL character and fit into that universe, but also because it will probably be made so soon after this series of movies just ended.

I don't much like the idea, but to be fair, I thought the Amazing Spider Man was an excellent reboot despite how soon after the Raimi movies it came. On the other hand, I was never a big fan of those films; I thought they were too cheesy by a long shot, I wasn't impressed with the acting or writing, I truly don't understand why they are so beloved (well, the first 2 anyway....and in a related point, why is Spider Man 2 considered so great? It was inferior to the first one). If a Batman reboot comes soon, I will cross my fingers but expect a failure.

I also find myself wondering if Man of Steel is going to fit into a Justice League universe? Meh, I'm not really excited about the possibility of a JL movie anyway. :tongue:

Im more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy anyway. Amazing Spider Man was good, but not great. Its based more on the Ultimate Universe than the classic cannon ( but so are the Avengers and their tie in movies 0 and Im not a big fan of the Spider Man story as retold in the Ultimate Universe.

OMG did you hear theyre making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie...WITH Rocket Racoon!!!! That is going to bomb so big. And worse its a lead in movie to Avengers 2.

Im more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy anyway. Amazing Spider Man was good, but not great. Its based more on the Ultimate Universe than the classic cannon ( but so are the Avengers and their tie in movies 0 and Im not a big fan of the Spider Man story as retold in the Ultimate Universe.

OMG did you hear theyre making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie...WITH Rocket Racoon!!!! That is going to bomb so big. And worse its a lead in movie to Avengers 2.

Yeah, as far as I've been seeing Guardians of the Galaxy is being made because Thanos is likely to be the villain in Avengers 2, and they deal with him all the time (Thanos being a cosmic-power type character). I agree, Rocket Raccoon is terrible enough in the comics, I can't see how you put him in a movie without making something like Jar-Jar. I'm not optimistic.

I'm also more a fan of Marvel than DC, but I do still enjoy some DC titles, and whatever company makes whatever comics, I want them all to make good movies. :lol:

Still here?

Ok.

At this point there is no DC universe in the movies. Even if there were, there is no guarantee that Superman, or anyone else, would fly in to rescue the city. Gotham was actually cut off from the rest of the country one time in the DC comics. If you were really a geek you would understand that Superman does not go into Batman's territory.

Still here?

Ok.

If there was a fight between Batman and Superman the smart money would be on Batman.

If there was a fight between Batman and Superman the smart money would be on Batman.

That’s just… nuts.

Anyway, I prefer the Marvel universe anyway. Not that big into comics myself but I can’t stand superman at all. I don’t even know what’s the point when you have something that is indestructible, faster than anything else and has whatever power he needs atm for whatever reason. In the last movie I seen, he decided to listen to the streets from space – ya, that’s overpowered. There is no challenge in that.

I prefer something more dynamic and it never hurts to ditch the black and white characters either.

That’s just… nuts.

Anyway, I prefer the Marvel universe anyway. Not that big into comics myself but I can’t stand superman at all. I don’t even know what’s the point when you have something that is indestructible, faster than anything else and has whatever power he needs atm for whatever reason. In the last movie I seen, he decided to listen to the streets from space – ya, that’s overpowered. There is no challenge in that.

I prefer something more dynamic and it never hurts to ditch the black and white characters either.

Not only nuts, but mainly incorrect. :) If Batman knew a fight was coming and could set things up beforehand, then you might give him the better odds....otherwise, of course, he has no chance.

As far as Superman being too powerful....I hear that complaint a lot, I have friends that feel the same way. When looking at comics, it's clear that Superman a)isn't necessarily the most powerful character, even from among those who are Earth-based and b)has vulnerabilities many people don't know about. For example, Superman is apparently extremely vulnerable to magic, and magic definitely exists in the DC universe.

I'm not saying you should start liking Superman (I don't), but Marvel has ridiculously powerful characters as well (have you ever read World War Hulk? He was going to destroy the world!) and Superman is not invulnerable. He is still ridiculously powerful, and it is still going to be hard for anyone to hurt him, but he's not so much worse than any other character in those respects. :tongue:

Still here?

Ok.

The smart money should never be on Batman. Even in the Frank Miller The Dark Knight Returns when Batman kicks Supermans ass, and then only because Green Arrow shot Superman with a kyptonite arrow first, Batman "dies".

http://www.darkknight.ca/storylines/tdkr.html

Last edited:

Forum List

Back