Why gun storage laws create more crime...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
When you mandate gun storage laws....normal people get hurt...

But now, the media and some politicians believe that gun locks will help prevent mass public shootings by juveniles. Very few shootings have involved guns stolen from parents. In 2012, Adam Lanza stole his motherā€™s gun, even though she kept it in a safe. But he was 20. Similarly, Nikolas Cruz was 19 when he killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. So, a new law mandating locks when someone under 18 lives in the house would have made no difference in his case.

Since 2000, including Oxford, there have been four U.S. mass public shootings by juvenile killers in any venue. But the Red Lake, Minn., attack in 2005 was committed by a 17-year-old who killed his grandfather, an Indian reservation police officer, and then took his service weapons. Fifteen-year-old Jaylen Fryberg, who committed the Marysville, Wash., shootings in 2014, stole the gun from his father, whose possession of it was illegal because there was a permanent restraining order against him. Would he have legally stored his illegally possessed gun? Again, it appears unlikely that gun locks would have stopped those attacks.
------------

According to my research, which has been published in the Journal of Law and Economics and elsewhere, such laws make it more difficult for people to defend themselves and their families successfully. As a result, criminals became more emboldened to invade peopleā€™s homes. There have been 300 more total murders and 4,000 more rapes occurring each year in states with these laws. Burglaries are also dramatically higher.

If you want to see the importance of deterrence, consider so-called hot burglaries, where residents are at home when criminals strike.

The United Kingdom not only has twice the burglary rate as the United States, but 59% of break-ins there are hot burglaries.

By contrast, the U.S. has a hot burglary rate of 13%.

Consistent with this, surveys of convicted burglars in the two countries indicate that American criminals spend about twice as much time casing a home before they break in. The reason: They want to ensure that no one is home because it prevents them from getting shot. Similarly, American burglars frequently comment that they avoid late-night break-ins because ā€˜ā€˜thatā€™s the way to get shot.ā€ These are concerns that British burglars donā€™t share, given that nationā€™s strict gun laws.

In the same vein, itā€™s not surprising that crime rises when governments prevent people from defending themselves. Indeed, every place in the world that has banned guns has seen an increase in murders.

You have to consider teen suicide with handguns.

Kids blowing their brains out.

If i have kids i would lock up the guns.....but I wouldnt support it being mandatory.....the government should put out public service announcements about securing your guns.... gun stores could help with this

But now, the media and some politicians believe that gun locks will help prevent mass public shootings by juveniles. Very few shootings have involved guns stolen from parents. In 2012, Adam Lanza stole his motherā€™s gun, even though she kept it in a safe. But he was 20. Similarly, Nikolas Cruz was 19 when he killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. So, a new law mandating locks when someone under 18 lives in the house would have made no difference in his case.

Since 2000, including Oxford, there have been four U.S. mass public shootings by juvenile killers in any venue. But the Red Lake, Minn., attack in 2005 was committed by a 17-year-old who killed his grandfather, an Indian reservation police officer, and then took his service weapons. Fifteen-year-old Jaylen Fryberg, who committed the Marysville, Wash., shootings in 2014, stole the gun from his father, whose possession of it was illegal because there was a permanent restraining order against him. Would he have legally stored his illegally possessed gun? Again, it appears unlikely that gun locks would have stopped those attacks.
------------

According to my research, which has been published in the Journal of Law and Economics and elsewhere, such laws make it more difficult for people to defend themselves and their families successfully. As a result, criminals became more emboldened to invade peopleā€™s homes. There have been 300 more total murders and 4,000 more rapes occurring each year in states with these laws. Burglaries are also dramatically higher.

If you want to see the importance of deterrence, consider so-called hot burglaries, where residents are at home when criminals strike.

The United Kingdom not only has twice the burglary rate as the United States, but 59% of break-ins there are hot burglaries.

Consistent with this, surveys of convicted burglars in the two countries indicate that American criminals spend about twice as much time casing a home before they break in. The reason: They want to ensure that no one is home because it prevents them from getting shot. Similarly, American burglars frequently comment that they avoid late-night break-ins because ā€˜ā€˜thatā€™s the way to get shot.ā€ These are concerns that British burglars donā€™t share, given that nationā€™s strict gun laws.

In the same vein, itā€™s not surprising that crime rises when governments prevent people from defending themselves. Indeed, every place in the world that has banned guns has seen an increase in murders.

I always thought murders were kids between 14 and 17 years olds prescribed pharmaceutical drugs to cure a growing number of chemicals imbalances?

You have to consider teen suicide with handguns.

Kids blowing their brains out.
When I was a kid I thought about doing that, but then I realized that I wasn't that good of a shot. :auiqs.jpg:

------------

Liberals view guns, and all shooting sports, to be 'distastful' and 'beneath' a civilized society and should therefore be banned. Such is the fairytale bubble they are living in.

When I was a kid I thought about doing that, but then I realized that I wasn't that good of a shot. :auiqs.jpg:

Liberals view guns, and all shooting sports, to be 'distastful' and 'beneath' a civilized society and should therefore be banned. Such is the fairytale bubble they are living in.

I am sure most Ukrainians believed the same thing....think they think the same way today?

Years ago my city's liberal Mayor and Common Council attempted to institute a ban on handguns. They quickly retreated when thousands of angry citizens showed up in support of gun rights at the public meetings. I sent a package of material in support as well to each council member including my cartoon which sarcastically suggested that they wanted to ban home self defense.

Support the ban.jpeg

------------

It does, only in your head though.

We live in a litigating society. If a gun is stolen from a secure storage and used in some horrific way, you are less likely to be sued if it was properly stored. There are safes that use fingerprint technology to give instant access but I don't know how reliable they are compared to a good old key.

Forum List

Back