Why Doesn't Everybody Play a Musical Instrument ?

Take a few lessons and expand your ability. You won't regret it. You'd be surprise how much you could advance just from a one hour lesson.
I want to, sorta- but, the mask wearing fear mongers make it hard to find a teacher and I refuse on line, skype or zoom, and the pisser is, I'd willingly pay an onerous rate for one on one private lessons near-by- because I do want to expand my skills- I want to incorporate finger picking into what I already do.
That said, I have to be able to interview the teacher and ensure he/she understands I'm not paying them to impress me with their knowledge or skills. I want to enhance what I do. Period. That means they have to listen to what I do and help me improve what I do, not teach me what they want me to do-From the ads I've seen only one struck me as a possibility, but, I've not contacted him due to other expenditures- oh, and I'm not paying for a month at a time, which most around here want (especially the on-line, skype/zoom hucksters) and yes that's my opinion of them, sorry if that is offensive, it is what it is- they just come across as very proud of their skills with no teaching talent evidence, other than their resume which a student has no way of vetting-
I even subscribe to Tony Polecastro news letters, because I like him and his presentation but, his aggressive requests to pay him for lessons (on line with multiple students) is a turn off- if you were near me, I'd certainly like, even want, to interview you-

Besides the marvelous sounds they produce, many musical instrument are also pleasing to the eye, as well as the ear. My personal favorite with regard to looks, is the Florentine style mandolin. Shown here are a couple with Abalone inlay in the headstock, and individual designs in the frets on the fingerboard.
The abalone is beautiful, as it changes its brilliant colors, depending on what angle you look at it, and how the light is hitting it. If you right click to open the image in a new tab, and zoom the pictures to 200%, you can see the fretboard designs better.

View attachment 426807

View attachment 426811

View attachment 426812

View attachment 426813
I've not paid a great deal of attention to mandolins, but, there are some beautiful (IMO) guitars- I have one- an Epiphone Pro Dove in white- https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...MI6I3MzIbB7QIVEvDACh2pSgZGEAQYASABEgLuRvD_BwE

It is absolutely, the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen and it only cost me 350 bucks- it's tone is mellow and it has very little volume, but, it is an acoustic electric (as are several of my guitars) and maybe some day I'll get that fishman amp I like-

Until then, I'll keep collecting- next on my list is R314 - Washburn Guitars

Look at the bridge on that sucker and the neck in lays-

There are so many people out there buying musical instruments and then giving it up your best bets is pawn shops, if you're not afraid to ask them what they will really take for whatever it is you want. I've seen some really nice violins and mandolins just in the few shops on my side of town, along with some excellent acoustic guitars, clarinets, saxs, etc., etc. It's nice to be able to go to Gutiar Center or somewhere and buy what you want new, but until you learn to play you don't really know what you want, so don't be afraid to check out pawn shops; most musicians I know usually have several around for different sounds and tuning anyway, but wait until you have at least an idea of what you like to play.

If you were taletned enough to be the next Paco de Lucia, you would already know that, so be prepared to not be the next Chet Atkins, , Segovia, or Hendrix.

I want to, sorta- but, the mask wearing fear mongers make it hard to find a teacher and I refuse on line, skype or zoom, and the pisser is, I'd willingly pay an onerous rate for one on one private lessons near-by- because I do want to expand my skills- I want to incorporate finger picking into what I already do.
That said, I have to be able to interview the teacher and ensure he/she understands I'm not paying them to impress me with their knowledge or skills. I want to enhance what I do. Period. That means they have to listen to what I do and help me improve what I do, not teach me what they want me to do-From the ads I've seen only one struck me as a possibility, but, I've not contacted him due to other expenditures- oh, and I'm not paying for a month at a time, which most around here want (especially the on-line, skype/zoom hucksters) and yes that's my opinion of them, sorry if that is offensive, it is what it is- they just come across as very proud of their skills with no teaching talent evidence, other than their resume which a student has no way of vetting-
I even subscribe to Tony Polecastro news letters, because I like him and his presentation but, his aggressive requests to pay him for lessons (on line with multiple students) is a turn off- if you were near me, I'd certainly like, even want, to interview you-
Thanks, and I'd be glad to give you lessons the way you say, but I'm not near you. I'm in Tampa, Florida. Only way could I do it is online, unless you came here one day.

Besides the marvelous sounds they produce, many musical instrument are also pleasing to the eye, as well as the ear. My personal favorite with regard to looks, is the Florentine style mandolin. Shown here are a couple with Abalone inlay in the headstock, and individual designs in the frets on the fingerboard.
The abalone is beautiful, as it changes its brilliant colors, depending on what angle you look at it, and how the light is hitting it. If you right click to open the image in a new tab, and zoom the pictures to 200%, you can see the fretboard designs better.

View attachment 426807

View attachment 426811

View attachment 426812

View attachment 426813
I've not paid a great deal of attention to mandolins, but, there are some beautiful (IMO) guitars- I have one- an Epiphone Pro Dove in white- https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...MI6I3MzIbB7QIVEvDACh2pSgZGEAQYASABEgLuRvD_BwE

It is absolutely, the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen and it only cost me 350 bucks- it's tone is mellow and it has very little volume, but, it is an acoustic electric (as are several of my guitars) and maybe some day I'll get that fishman amp I like-

Until then, I'll keep collecting- next on my list is R314 - Washburn Guitars

Look at the bridge on that sucker and the neck in lays-
Beautiful guitar, I like it. It's got quality, with a solid top, and Epiphone is a brand (the new Gibson) that I respect quite a bit. This guitar is similar to my Ibanez Artwood, which is also a solid top, and I paid $350 for it, and it's acoustic electric.

I had an Epiphone SG guitar (solid body electric) - loved it, but I needed the money, and I wound up selling it. Wish I had it back. I'll get another one like it one of these days. maybe after the next stimulus check.

1608348375857.png

1608348926911.png

Take a few lessons and expand your ability. You won't regret it. You'd be surprise how much you could advance just from a one hour lesson.

Have you tried open tunings? I found that an easy avenue to fingerpicking -- and then you just apply the same techniques back to standard tuning.

Have you tried open tunings?
I'm not that advanced- I have tuned to open D and for my style of thumb plucking it didn't do anything for me- and I'm not skilled enough to pick *a* note on purpose. I didn't like the sounds of the chords in open D either-
I guess a good teacher could help with that also though.

I remember seeing Louis Armstrong on the Ed Sullivan Show back around 1962 or so. I thought to myself, "Man, that guy looks like He's having a great time. I'm going to try that." The next day I went to the schools' band director and told him I wanted to get started on the trumpet.

Then The Beatles came along (again, the Ed Sullivan Show) and I thought to myself, "Man, those guys looks like they're having a great time. I'm going to try that." So I traded a fishing rod to a friend of mine for an old guitar hanging up in his parents' garage, got a Mel Bay book and off I went.

Been hacking away at both ever since.

Been hacking away at both ever since.
I got my first guitar when I was 14, for christmas, and have been playin with them, off and on, since then.
Mostly off.
Last April, a buddy convinced me to get back into it- I now have 7 guitars and LOVE playin with em- every one. My skills have improved vastly since I play at playin at least an hour every day- and every time one is played, somethin gets better, or doesn't- but, I now have the time and desire at the same time- in the past I had only one or the other, never together at the same time- the sad, to me, part, is I don't have 20 years to become an over night sensation- at the same time, my family is impressed with Pop's increasing skills- in the scheme of things, 8 mos is over night-

Have you tried open tunings?
I'm not that advanced- I have tuned to open D and for my style of thumb plucking it didn't do anything for me- and I'm not skilled enough to pick *a* note on purpose. I didn't like the sounds of the chords in open D either-
I guess a good teacher could help with that also though.

I don't think it's that advanced. You notice immediately that you can do a simple formation up and down the fretboard and come up with a plethora of chords that don't sound "wrong". I like open G and D.

The main thing is, just let it happen and don't overthink it. I honestly have no recollection of ever deliberately setting out to "ok put thumb here, pull up with index finger there". I just looked down one day and it was already there. The fingers can figure it out on their own, and whatever they come up with, as long as it works for you it can't be "wrong". :)

Just relax, trust the muscles and let the right brain take over, in its own time.

What an awesome thing music is. It's 3 basic elements Rhythm, Melody, and Harmony combine together to really stir our inner emotions. It is played in a wide variety of genres. People can pick which musical genre they like the most, and listen to it endlessly.

Some people have developed a keen awareness about their favorite type of music. They know a lot about it and can talk about it. But why limit yourselves to that ? Why not choose a musical instrument that is to your liking, buy yourself one, and learn how to play it ? I'm a music teacher and I get a lot if satisfaction out of transforming my students from non-players to players.

I get an absolute thrill when I see my students eyes light up, when they suddenly realize they have gotten to learn their instrument, and can play at least one song or tune on it. After learning that first song, they then have the confidence that they can learn to play just about ANY song/tune, And they're then well on the way to becoming a musician.

As human beings, we have the gift of being able to play music. Had we all been born a dog, a cat, an ape, a horse, etc, we would not have this capability. It seems a shame to go through a whole life never taking advantage of this ability. I think people who don't play an instrument, have no idea what they are missing.

Instruments are cheap at the starter level, and easy to obtain. They also make a marvelous Christmas gift. I bought my sister a mandolin for her birthday a couple of months ago. Hopefully, she'll learn to play it. If not, it'll become the most beautiful wall decoration she ever had. Yes, it does take some effort to learn to play (any instrument), but it is actually a fun type of work, and it becomes easier and easier with the more you learn, and the better you get at playing your instrument. View attachment 425691 :biggrin:

When I went to school music was a part of the curriculum. We had a separate music class that was one hour per day with the music teacher. Her name was Mr. Carlson. The man who taught how to play an instrument was Mr. Chyala.

Music lessons for just about any instrument was offered to all the kids.

I started learning to play the clarinet when I was in 3rd grade. I was in the school band all through school. In middle school I taught myself how to play the guitar. In high school and middle school one of the elective classes that was taught was guitar. I already knew how to play so it was easy to get into that class even though it was full at the time.

My ex learned how to play the piano as soon as his feet could reach the peddles. His grandmother was a piano teacher. He plays the guitar too.

Studies show that music and art stimulate certain areas of the brain and help with logic, mathematics and reading. Children who learn music or to play music do much better in school.

My child learned how to play the piano and violin.

Because there are right and left-brained people. Generally, left-brained people are artistic, good musicians. Right-brained folks are more analytical, adept at math, and data.

You love playing an instrument and it comes easy to you. I love MUSIC, but I also LOVE studying mathematics. Outside of my major, I took several pure maths courses in college because I loved it.

One isn't right or wrong, they're just different. Of course, there is overlap. For instance, music depends heavily on math.

Technically solid musicians, depend more on their right-brain. Solid left-brained musicians are the Jazz players.

Funny you should mention that. I am left handed but when I was a kid my parents didn't know any better and got me a right handed guitar. So I actually play the guitar right hand even though I am left handed.lol! I wonder what the difference would have been if I would have learned left handed?

Interesting thought. I'm an old-codger, 76. Back in my day, kids were nearly beaten into submission to use their right hand.

I don't know but at the time, maybe a left-handed guitar wasn't very common.

I can only think of Jimi Hendrix and he turned a right handed guitar upside down to play it left handed. I didn't think of that as a kid.lol!

Paul McCartney restrung his bass to be played left handed.

I got to work with Hendrix's sister Jane. Twice.

She was building a music park for young musicians so had a couple fund raisers for it. I was hired at the photographer. They were held at the Hard Rock Cafe in Seattle.

That park was built and it's beautiful. Young musicians perform there but mostly in the summer when it's not raining.

I tried playing music when I was young. Took piano, tried guitar, and was even in the band (baritone horn). I love music. But playing it was not for me.

It takes a willingness to want to learn it. I wanted to play guitar so bad that I taught myself.

Same here. I taught myself to play the guitar when I was in middle school. When I was in high school I took some formal lessons. I also always took guitar class as an elective.

Why not choose a musical instrument that is to your liking, buy yourself one, and learn how to play it ? I'm a music teacher and I get a lot if satisfaction out of transforming my students from non-players to players.
I'm mostly an outsider to the music scene, but I much prefer your approach to that of people who buy loud stereo equipment and crank up commercially recorded music to maximum volume just to annoy their neighbors.

Instruments are cheap at the starter level, and easy to obtain. They also make a marvelous Christmas gift. I bought my sister a mandolin for her birthday a couple of months ago. Hopefully, she'll learn to play it.
Cheap? Sure, but let's just say they have to be reasonably in tune, or good enough quality to stay true to how they are tuned. Instruments of any kind (musical or not) that are too cheap will only frustrate beginners learning to use them.

This is young Paul Gilbert terrifying other guitarists already at age 17, and here he is at GIT in L.A. around 1983. You can see he was in the outgrown-clothing era, but GIT felt sorry for him and hired him as an instructor in 1985.

One of my guitar heroes.

The early Racer X days at the Whisky;

In Germany, Oct 3, 2019

Last edited:
as long as it works for you it can't be "wrong"
Yessir and I abide by that with my style of thumb plucking- but, it would be nice if I had more time to learn more so I could become an 20 year over night sensation- at 73, as of yesterday, that 20 years looks a bit elusive- so, I want "professional" pointers to help me advance sooner-

I've played with the "finger picking" and watched countless videos, to no avail- the open D and G sound good when strummed, as a whole- open- incorporating it into what I do is what I can't wrap my head (or fingers) around w/o input, in person- and I spend a lot of (all of in fact) time practicing what I do, which is currently about 15 songs with more on my radar as well as penning originals- in fact, my originals are where I've really advanced to "thumb plucking" to get a sound I like, I can call my own, and relearning covers in my style- it's a full time effort, LOL, since I am a novice and a bit late in life and very picky- very picky not being a metaphor- it is an imperative.

I'm not discounting what you're saying and I appreciate the input- sincerely-

Too cheap is subjective- I have a 179 dollar Mitchell I love

This video the instrument is a 40 dollar Koa
If the instrument is generally sound and well-built and the strings can be adjusted and hold their precise tension security, and the frets are in the right position, you shouldn't have any problems. You might be able to look around and pick one up cheap or even free. Who knows? Some things you just can't buy with money. The basic functionality needs to be solid and reliable.

And I am not an expert at all. I am merely going by my general attitude with respect to any kind of tool or device.

Forum List

Back