Why Doesn't Everybody Play a Musical Instrument ?

Finding a left handed teacher may be easier said than done.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
At last resort, you could be taught by a right handed teacher, and a large mirror. When he/she is showing you what to do, you look in the mirror, and you will see everything as if he/she was left/handed, and playing a left-handed instrument.

Then, you just follow along with what you see, on your left-handed instrument. Not much different than having an actual left-handed teacher.

Finding a left handed teacher may be easier said than done.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
At last resort, you could be taught by a right handed teacher, and a large mirror. When he/she is showing you what to do, you look in the mirror, and you will see everything as if he/she was left/handed, and playing a left-handed instrument.

Then, you just follow along with what you see, on your left-handed instrument. Not much different than having an actual left-handed teacher.
That might work. Now on to the next question. How much does a fiddle go for these days and not only that but of course the lessons to play it?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Speaking of Alison Krauss, I was just listening to her on the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack< I'll Fly Away, Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby, and Down To The River To Pray. Good stuff; she's got a classic old school voice and musical style.

^^^ I look forward to her next album whenever it is finally released. Its been almost four years since her last one.

God bless you and Alison always!!!

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)

Because there are right and left-brained people. Generally, left-brained people are artistic, good musicians. Right-brained folks are more analytical, adept at math, and data.

You love playing an instrument and it comes easy to you. I love MUSIC, but I also LOVE studying mathematics. Outside of my major, I took several pure maths courses in college because I loved it.

One isn't right or wrong, they're just different. Of course, there is overlap. For instance, music depends heavily on math.

Technically solid musicians, depend more on their right-brain. Solid left-brained musicians are the Jazz players.

Meh - I think that's oversimplified.

My dad f'rinstance played piano but he used dots to do it. I NEVER do that. I do it by ear. Yet we're both playing music, leading from two different hemispheres.

I wanted to learn. At best, it sounded mechanical.
You might give it another try. The guitar is a great instrument. Not as great as the violin, but still terrific in its own way. Learning can be a clumsy thing, although taking lessons helps to smooth it out a lot.

I can just about guarantee if I gave you lessons, you'd be playing the guitar quite proficiently, and where it sounds musical, not mechanical, just with one month. I also provide my students a chart (in 4 colors) of each song/tune's notes - where on the guitar and when to play them. That way if you forget the song later on, you can go back to the chart, and pick back up on it, without much trouble.

If you really still want to learn, I'll give you a FREE LESSON online.

Here are some songs I teach > Purple Haze, Crossroads, Norweigen Wood , 19th Nervous Breakdown, Down By the River, and a BB King blues number I learned by ear once (never bothered to find out the name). In addition to the classic rock, I also teach fingerpicking country blues, like songs by Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, and Patrick Sky.

View attachment 425896 View attachment 425897

View attachment 425900 View attachment 425911 View attachment 425923

Patrick Sky lives right up the road.

That might work. Now on to the next question. How much does a fiddle go for these days and not only that but of course the lessons to play it?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Fiddles (violin, fiddle, same thing) cost anywhere from about $100 (beginner's level) or if you have more money to spend that can cost thousands. You can get a darn good one though for about $400. Used ones are often cheaper than new ones. and often have MUCH better sound.

Lessons vary from about $25/hour to about $80/hour. Avoid lessons that are by the half hour, half hour is too short a time for violin/fiddle lessons.'

I strongly advise learning the VIolin on a MANDolin first. Learn a few tunes and the scales on the mandolin, which are identical in the fingering, to the violin, and then graduate to the violin. Like the violin, you can get a cheap laminated (plywood) wood mandolin for $100, or even less. If you want to start with a more quality instrument of all solid wood, or at least with a solid top, they can be had nowadays for $200 and up.
The Rogue RM-100A, which you can pick up for around $50, is the cheapest mandolin (laminated not solid wood) available on the market that’s still of decent quality.

You can go to al local music store, a if they are any good, they should have some decent SOLID TOP mandolins for under $200. I went to my local store recently (Sam Ash) and they had 3 of these (an Epiphone, a Washburn, & a Mitchell). ALL were good sounding. If the store doesn't have any left-handed violins or mandolins, ask them to order an equivalent of one that you try out and like, but in left-handed version. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 1607413455927.png
    1607413455927.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 29
^^^ I look forward to her next album whenever it is finally released. Its been almost four years since her last one.

God bless you and Alison always!!!

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)
Lots other fiddle players, and many of them are women. There are hundreds in America and Europe, if not thousands.

Last edited:

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Fiddles (violin, fiddle, same thing) cost anywhere from about $100 (beginner's level) or if you have more money to spend that can cost thousands. You can get a darn good one though for about $400. Used ones are often cheaper than new ones. and often have MUCH better sound.

Lessons vary from about $25/hour to about $80/hour. Avoid lessons that are by the half hour, half hour is too short a time for violin/fiddle lessons.'

I strongly advise learning the VIolin on a MANDolin first. Learn a few tunes and the scales on the mandolin, which are identical in the fingering, to the violin, and then graduate to the violin. Like the violin, you can get a cheap laminated (plywood) wood mandolin for $100, or even less. If you want to start with a more quality instrument of all solid wood, or at least with a solid top, they can be had nowadays for $200 and up.
The Rogue RM-100A, which you can pick up for around $50, is the cheapest mandolin (laminated not solid wood) available on the market that’s still of decent quality.

You can go to al local music store, a if they are any good, they should have some decent SOLID TOP mandolins for under $200. I went to my local store recently (Sam Ash) and they had 3 of these (an Epiphone, a Washburn, & a Mitchell). ALL were good sounding. If the store doesn't have any left-handed violins or mandolins, ask them to order an equivalent of one that you try out and like, but in left-handed version. :biggrin:

Thank you for the information and advice. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I took piano lessons at 10 or 11 and took song leading in church at about the same age- I remember very little- I got my first guitar my 14th christmas, now, I'm over 70 and still wearing jeans- a friend taught me one song when I was 15- I played at playing off and on most of my life, more off than on- last April a buddy shamed me into getting a guitar (he's a pretty good player, singer and writer), so, here we are 8 mos later, I own 7 guitars and gave him one (total purchases 8)- I play at playin at least an hour a day, every day, and 30 or 40 minutes a night before going to bed- I've written 2 good songs (so everyone who has heard them says) and several more sets of lyrics waiting for a melody- and I've relearned 3 I wrote nearly 50 years ago-

I LOVE my guitars- each one has it's own personality and sound- the most expensive was just 350 bucks- the least expensive was 179- I like the sound of the least expensive one better, but the more expensive one is a beautiful guitar- I don't play all that well- I thumb pluck and strum (cowboy chords), but, I make it/them work for what I do which gives me a great deal of pleasure-

It is a great way to get your mind off all the crap going on-

Whats that got to do with playing a musical instrument? Sorry...maybe I missed something.

Playing an instrument, any instrument well (or even playing it poorly), requires a time commitment.

My dusty oboe on the library bookshelf can testify to that.

I took piano lessons at 10 or 11 and took song leading in church at about the same age- I remember very little- I got my first guitar my 14th christmas, now, I'm over 70 and still wearing jeans- a friend taught me one song when I was 15- I played at playing off and on most of my life, more off than on- last April a buddy shamed me into getting a guitar (he's a pretty good player, singer and writer), so, here we are 8 mos later, I own 7 guitars and gave him one (total purchases 8)- I play at playin at least an hour a day, every day, and 30 or 40 minutes a night before going to bed- I've written 2 good songs (so everyone who has heard them says) and several more sets of lyrics waiting for a melody- and I've relearned 3 I wrote nearly 50 years ago-

I LOVE my guitars- each one has it's own personality and sound- the most expensive was just 350 bucks- the least expensive was 179- I like the sound of the least expensive one better, but the more expensive one is a beautiful guitar- I don't play all that well- I thumb pluck and strum (cowboy chords), but, I make it/them work for what I do which gives me a great deal of pleasure-

It is a great way to get your mind off all the crap going on-
Take a few lessons and expand your ability. You won't regret it. You'd be surprise how much you could advance just from a one hour lesson.

Playing an instrument, any instrument well (or even playing it poorly), requires a time commitment.

10 minutes every day, adds up to 3,650 minutes in a year's time. That's equivalent to 61 hours.

10 minutes every day, adds up to 3,650 minutes in a year's time. That's equivalent to 61 hours.

It takes 10 minutes just to soak the reed and warm up my embouchure. But, you're right. Half an hour to an hour a day could get you to third chair in just about any community orchestra in the land.

Besides the marvelous sounds they produce, many musical instrument are also pleasing to the eye, as well as the ear. My personal favorite with regard to looks, is the Florentine style mandolin. Shown here are a couple with Abalone inlay in the headstock, and individual designs in the frets on the fingerboard.
The abalone is beautiful, as it changes its brilliant colors, depending on what angle you look at it, and how the light is hitting it. If you right click to open the image in a new tab, and zoom the pictures to 200%, you can see the fretboard designs better.

1607483537144.png

1607484442523.png

1607484475302.png

1607484513265.png

Forum List

Back