Zone1 Why do White People Call Themselves Irish-Americans, Italian Americans, Polish-Americans, etc?

I was taught - and I believe - that calling America a "melting pot" is a negative description, implying that people lose their ethnic identities into a stew of mediocre American-ness. The better metaphor is to call America a "mosaic," where many ethnic cultures live side-by-side to create a beautiful whole. I am a lifetime Pittsburgh resident, and this city manifests a cornucopia of ethnicities, many of which can be identified by ethnic churches (built in ethnic neighborhoods) - almost all Catholic Churches - that were built by, for example, Polish immigrants, German immigrants, Italian immigrants, Russian and Greek immigrants ("Catholic Orthodox" churches), Slovak immigrants, Hungarian immigrants, and so on.

Although my own personal ethnicity is all over the lot, I was raised in the family homestead with my Grandmother who was Irish, and I was raised as an "Irish Catholic." We loved Irish food (which ain't too good, to be candid), Irish music and dancing, and over-consumption of alcohol on days ending with 'y'.

The whole cornucopia of faux ethnicities (almost no one was actually born in the country that they celebrate) allows almost everyone to believe that they are better then other people.

And it is clear that the African-American community lacked that option, being many generations removed from, and totally isolated from, their own ethnicities and all that included. Which is why we have the African American community constantly seeking to create an analogous ethnicity, with middling success - Kwanzaaaaa being a rather preposterous and insidious example of the phenomenon.

you know that answer im2. we white people are allowrd to have "culture" and "heritage". it is all right there in our glorious constitution. no one else is allowed to use a hyphen ( you may be allowed to use 3/5 of a hyphen, maybe a shorter line or something?)
You couldn't be more wrong.

I was taught - and I believe - that calling America a "melting pot" is a negative description, implying that people lose their ethnic identities into a stew of mediocre American-ness. The better metaphor is to call America a "mosaic," where many ethnic cultures live side-by-side to create a beautiful whole. I am a lifetime Pittsburgh resident, and this city manifests a cornucopia of ethnicities, many of which can be identified by ethnic churches (built in ethnic neighborhoods) - almost all Catholic Churches - that were built by, for example, Polish immigrants, German immigrants, Italian immigrants, Russian and Greek immigrants ("Catholic Orthodox" churches), Slovak immigrants, Hungarian immigrants, and so on.

Although my own personal ethnicity is all over the lot, I was raised in the family homestead with my Grandmother who was Irish, and I was raised as an "Irish Catholic." We loved Irish food (which ain't too good, to be candid), Irish music and dancing, and over-consumption of alcohol on days ending with 'y'.

The whole cornucopia of faux ethnicities (almost no one was actually born in the country that they celebrate) allows almost everyone to believe that they are better then other people.

And it is clear that the African-American community lacked that option, being many generations removed from, and totally isolated from, their own ethnicities and all that included. Which is why we have the African American community constantly seeking to create an analogous ethnicity, with middling success - Kwanzaaaaa being a rather preposterous and insidious example of the phenomenon.
What laws are being broken?

I imagine white people hyphenate their cultural identity for the same reason black people made-up a pseudo-African Christmas holiday. The difference is one is true to their historic cultural traditions, while the other is an invention of separatism.

You don't think Xmas is made up?
Christmas was “made up” in the 2nd century to commemorate the birth of Jesus.

In the 2nd century, the "earliest church records" indicate that "Christians were remembering and celebrating the birth of the Lord", an "observance [that] sprang up organically from the authentic devotion of ordinary believers"; although "they did not agree upon a set date".[40] The earliest evidence of Christ's birth being marked on December 25 is a sentence in the Chronograph of 354.[41][42][43][44] Liturgical historians generally agree that this part of the text was written in Rome in AD 336.[42]
Christmas - Wikipedia

Kwanzaa was made up by a black-separatist in 1966 to separate back people from the rest of society.
American black separatist[4] Maulana Karenga created Kwanzaa in 1966 during the aftermath of the Watts riots[5] as a non-Christian,[6] specifically African-American, holiday.[7] Karenga said his goal was to "give black people an alternative to the existing holiday of Christmas and give black people an opportunity to celebrate themselves and their history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."[8]

Kwanzaa - Wikipedia

To recap, Christmas is a holiday that commemorates an actual tradition, the birth of Jesus. Kwanzaa invented a fake tradition for the holiday to commemorate.

How many white people in America are from these countries? Because any more, it seems like most of them are born here.

Then we have places like this.

The Irish American Heritage Museum is a 501(c)3 nonprofit created by the New York State Legislature in 1986 and permanently chartered by the Board of Regents of New York as an educational institution in 1992. We explore the contributions, history, and culture of Irish people in America, and fosters dialogue and exchange between America and Ireland today. By sharing our stories, we strive to create connections and community between all Americans, as we appreciate and study the universality of the immigrant story in American history.

View attachment 882194

SCANDINAVIAN–AMERICAN HALL OF FAME​

The Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame is an enduring means of honoring those persons of Scandinavian descent in North America who have achieved greatness in their fields of endeavor and/or whose efforts have contributed significantly to the betterment of mankind. Deserving individuals of other ethnicities may be honored with special awards as well.

Through honoring these outstanding individuals, it is hoped that others will be inspired to strive for meaningful accomplishments as well.

The Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame was established in Minot, N.D., in 1984 as a permanent component of Norsk Høsfest. Because Minot hosts North America’s largest Scandinavian festival, which strives to build pride in heritage; and because North Dakota is located in the center of the continent’s Scandinavian population, it is appropriate that Minot, N.D., be the permanent home of the Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame.

The National Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame (NPASHF) was founded in 1973 to honor and recognize outstanding American athletes, both amateur and professional, of Polish descent. This virtual version of the Hall features the history of their accomplishments.

View attachment 882195

I can keep going.

Easier to track the reparations we're owed for being discriminated and called wops and dagos

Christmas was “made up” in the 2nd century to commemorate the birth of Jesus.

Christmas - Wikipedia

Kwanzaa was made up by a black-separatist in 1966 to separate back people from the rest of society.

Kwanzaa - Wikipedia

To recap, Christmas is a holiday that commemorates an actual tradition, the birth of Jesus. Kwanzaa invented a fake tradition for the holiday to commemorate.
Santa says he's more popular and is just as real as Christ.

I am not a big fan of the hyphenated American things. And I am a dedicated American patriot.

But I am also of Irish descent. That culture is part of who I am. That does NOT make me less of an American.

I just usually say my ancestors were Irish and Italian.

That means I celebrate St. Patrick's day a little harder than others do, and on Christmas dinner always involves a Lasagna.

IM2 raises a good point. Of course he raises it badly but if people want to be Italian, they need to get the fuck out and go to Italy. Either be American or don't. Their forefathers came here because America was a far better place than Ireland, Italy, Poland, etc. Just like the Venezuelans coming here today; if they want to be Venezuelan-American or Hispanic-American, if the places they are leaving are not shit-holes, then stay the fuck where they were. We want them to live in the best country in the world. If it's not America, then go to wherever it is.

I'm Italian-American. I can trace my family back to at least the Medici's and probably further

One grandfather came here to America, he was a doctor; my other grandfather migrated from Calabria to Rio.

My mother was born in Rio, fluent in three languages but we only spoke English so we would assimilate. I learned, according to the Federal government, that my mothers birth in Brazil technically makes me "Hispanic"

I'm proudly American and proud of my heritage

Do you drink green beer for the colored turds?

Nope, a Guiness to start the day, and to end it, with more in the middle and some Jameson's for good measure.

I also usually wait until later in the day to let the amateurs pass out.

I am not mixing up eras at all. What was it you wanted black people to show gratitude for? Slavery. I addressed that.
Without slavery the blacks on this forum would be in africa instead of the US

Thats something to be thankful for, doncha think?

Forum List

Back