Why Do Republicans Pretend the War On Poverty was supposed to END POVERTY?

There might be better solutions but no one is presenting them for consideration

Actually there was a thread in the clean debate zone that offered several alternative solutions that would probably be better than what we have now.

Yeah, there are always ideas everywhere. The problem is that no one is writing those ideas down with a plan for implementation.

I would submit to you that neither side actually wants solutions that help more people. Conservatives b/c let's face it many conservatives are just selfish assholes. And liberals , because let's face it many liberals are just power hungry fools who only offer lip service to those who's votes they are after.

I wouldnt agree with that. One side has actions they've taken whether you like or agree with them or not. The other has provided Peanut Gallery objections for 60 years without presenting their own plan

If you're going to get all partisan on me, I'm going to bow out of the conversation my friend. I'm frankly tired and bored of that BS.

The liberal "solution" is to just throw more money at problems. Well, it's pretty clear by now that simply having the government throw money at problems will never solve anything, and the Dems knows that just as well as I do, and yet they continue to do so because they really don't care to solve the problem.

If liberals actually cared about helping poor people they would be doing things like educating people not to have kids they can't afford, or not to be out buying IPhones and flat screen TVs when they need food stamps to eat , and they would be encouraging them to learn new trades, move if they need to to better themselves. Anything other than just sending them a direct deposit and telling them that they can't help their own situation AT ALL.

I agree, if the War on Poverty included anything that stated "throw money at a problem" I would also disagree. But thats a pretty simple minded characterization of what the legislation does.

Name three things that have came out of the war on poverty that involve more than simply throwing money at a problem.

Nothing I say will ever stop you from being able to characterize something the way you want. For example: If I say brussell sprouts are nasty I cant say "Name 3 reasons why Brusell Sprouts are not nasty."

Thats just goofy

Tell us then, what WAS the purpose of the war ?

Great, so at least we agree that the impossible is not possible.

The purpose was to reduce poverty and create opportunity for minorities. From that other things came about like Food Stamps (not meant to end the existence of hunger) and the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (not meant to end ignorance)

All the money spent on poverty yields the same, if not more poverty. While fighting your war on poverty you have infiltrated society with millions more of the impoverished uneducated from other countries then whine that American kids go to bed hungry, you try to shame Republicans for the chaos you liberals have created. Yeah! That makes sense.

I have no idea what you're talking about but its curious that Republicans have been helpless to change anything, for the better, over 60 years.
It is perfectly understandable that you suddenly became incapable of comprehension when you hear truth spoken.

Sorry, maybe I didnt make it clear. Your post makes no sense. Its not a comprehension thing its the words you use type of thing

Actually there was a thread in the clean debate zone that offered several alternative solutions that would probably be better than what we have now.

Yeah, there are always ideas everywhere. The problem is that no one is writing those ideas down with a plan for implementation.

I would submit to you that neither side actually wants solutions that help more people. Conservatives b/c let's face it many conservatives are just selfish assholes. And liberals , because let's face it many liberals are just power hungry fools who only offer lip service to those who's votes they are after.

I wouldnt agree with that. One side has actions they've taken whether you like or agree with them or not. The other has provided Peanut Gallery objections for 60 years without presenting their own plan

If you're going to get all partisan on me, I'm going to bow out of the conversation my friend. I'm frankly tired and bored of that BS.

The liberal "solution" is to just throw more money at problems. Well, it's pretty clear by now that simply having the government throw money at problems will never solve anything, and the Dems knows that just as well as I do, and yet they continue to do so because they really don't care to solve the problem.

If liberals actually cared about helping poor people they would be doing things like educating people not to have kids they can't afford, or not to be out buying IPhones and flat screen TVs when they need food stamps to eat , and they would be encouraging them to learn new trades, move if they need to to better themselves. Anything other than just sending them a direct deposit and telling them that they can't help their own situation AT ALL.

I agree, if the War on Poverty included anything that stated "throw money at a problem" I would also disagree. But thats a pretty simple minded characterization of what the legislation does.

Name three things that have came out of the war on poverty that involve more than simply throwing money at a problem.

Nothing I say will ever stop you from being able to characterize something the way you want. For example: If I say brussell sprouts are nasty I cant say "Name 3 reasons why Brusell Sprouts are not nasty."

Thats just goofy

Or you simply don't want to answer the question because you know the answer.

Let me give an example.

Are you a parent? Do you just give your child an allowance, or do you ask them to perform chores for that money? I will almost guarantee they do some form of chores in exchange for money? Why? Because we instinctively know that children who EARN their money are far more judicious with it than if they are just given money. But do we do the same thing with welfare? Nope, just show up and ask for money, if you qualify (and who doesn't) it's yours for the taking.

Why don't liberals ever suggest things like "instead of just giving people welfare, why don't local cities hire them at $10 an hour to do clean up and such that all local communities need?" Well the answer is obvious, people on welfare don't WANT to work (and to be clear about the obvious yes I"m stereotyping but stereotypes exist for a reason) and Dems know they would lose their votes if they ever suggested something as dasterdly as "you must work to receive welfare"

That's the god damned truth of the matter. We have infrastructure falling the fuck apart and we're paying people to sit on their asses at home.

Same exact situation with drug testing. NONE of you who oppose drug testing welfare recipients would support your own adult child if they sat in your basement all day long smoking pot and drinking beer while you paid for their housing and food. That's a fucking fact. Yet we as a nation are supposed to do it for the "poor"

Poor people don't buy drugs and alcohol. Ever think about actually helping someone by telling them that?

If Democrats cared fuck all about the poor they would help them to stop being poor. And doling out a few hundred bucks a month in welfare certainly isn't doing that.

You help people better themselves by getting out of their way. Not by forcing them to buy permits to do business in your town. You get rid of the permits and let them do business in your town freely, openly. Taxi monopolies need to be broken and Uber will thrive with ordinary people at the wheel.

Want to work for yourself www.uber.com use code 8CNLW to get $100 bonus after your first 20 rides.

Thats just goofy

Or you simply don't want to answer the question because you know the answer.

Let me give an example.

Are you a parent?

Yes

Do you just give your child an allowance, or do you ask them to perform chores for that money?

Both actually

I will almost guarantee they do some form of chores in exchange for money? Why? Because we instinctively know that children who EARN their money are far more judicious with it than if they are just given money. But do we do the same thing with welfare? Nope, just show up and ask for money, if you qualify (and who doesn't) it's yours for the taking.

A lot of people dont qualify. Most of the people on welfare are working. Thats not just in my brain, thats a fact. I dont typically use the people who game the system as being indicative of everyone on welfare

Why don't liberals ever suggest things like "instead of just giving people welfare, why don't local cities hire them at $10 an hour to do clean up and such that all local communities need?"

Thats a good suggestion. Why hasnt ANYONE suggested that? Not just liberals. ANYONE? And I dont mean some guy says it on a MB or some opinion piece I'm talking legislation.

Well the answer is obvious, people on welfare don't WANT to work (and to be clear about the obvious yes I"m stereotyping but stereotypes exist for a reason) and Dems know they would lose their votes if they ever suggested something as dasterdly as "you must work to receive welfare"

First no one WANTS to work for a living if given the choice. That isnt exclusive to any group. Also see above, most people on welfare ARE WORKING! Their wages are just shit wages. Thanks Walmart

That's the god damned truth of the matter. We have infrastructure falling the fuck apart and we're paying people to sit on their asses at home.

Again, MOST PEOPLE ON WELFARE ARE WORKING!

Same exact situation with drug testing. NONE of you who oppose drug testing welfare recipients would support your own adult child if they sat in your basement all day long smoking pot and drinking beer while you paid for their housing and food. That's a fucking fact. Yet we as a nation are supposed to do it for the "poor"

I agree we should not support people who sit in a basement all day long smoking weed.

Poor people don't buy drugs and alcohol. Ever think about actually helping someone by telling them that?

Poor people dont buy drugs and alcohol? Wait until I tell that to Human History which strangely shows otherwise.

If Democrats cared fuck all about the poor they would help them to stop being poor. And doling out a few hundred bucks a month in welfare certainly isn't doing that.

Sounds like your solution to help them not be poor is for them to work (which they do) and to stop sitting in basements all day smoking weed which I agree.

We're sorta close on this topic

Tell us then, what WAS the purpose of the war ?

Great, so at least we agree that the impossible is not possible.

The purpose was to reduce poverty and create opportunity for minorities. From that other things came about like Food Stamps (not meant to end the existence of hunger) and the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (not meant to end ignorance)

All the money spent on poverty yields the same, if not more poverty. While fighting your war on poverty you have infiltrated society with millions more of the impoverished uneducated from other countries then whine that American kids go to bed hungry, you try to shame Republicans for the chaos you liberals have created. Yeah! That makes sense.

I have no idea what you're talking about but its curious that Republicans have been helpless to change anything, for the better, over 60 years.
It is perfectly understandable that you suddenly became incapable of comprehension when you hear truth spoken.

Sorry, maybe I didnt make it clear. Your post makes no sense. Its not a comprehension thing its the words you use type of thing
Okay. I will try again. The money spent on the war on poverty has not made a dent in poverty. Democrats blame Republicans. Democrats especially Obama are insistent on importing millions more impoverished uneducated children, illegals and at the same time try to shame Republicans because American children go to bed hungry. Got it now?

It is true that the GOP has done nothing to solve poverty in 60 years. Tell us why that's comprehensible.

Yeah? Why is that Republicans fault when democrats have held the WH for the majority of those sixty years?

Then, tell me why, if money ends poverty that Africa is still poor after receiving literally trillions of dollars in foreign aid. This should be good.

How much money have we spent on the War on Drugs.?
Police, legal system, prisons

Yet we still have drugs

Wait a minute, y'all libs say that LBJ's "war on poverty, costing trillions and counting, wasn't intended to end poverty? The democrat party really intended the "great society" to be a modern plantation where poverty recipients would depend on government appointed poverty pimps to dole out the goodies in exchange for votes for democrats. That clears the air a bit.

Why don't liberals ever suggest things like "instead of just giving people welfare, why don't local cities hire them at $10 an hour to do clean up and such that all local communities need?" Well the answer is...

...some municipalities do.

There might be better solutions but no one is presenting them for consideration

Head Start, Job Corps. Medicare,

So after billions of tax payer funds spent on the war against poverty it is now disclosed that the intent wasn't to end poverty? Apparently some here never bothered to read the speeches nor text of the liberals beating their chest declaring all we need is just a little more public funding and the results will come. Just another very expensive example of a liberal program based on some cock and bull theory designed to fail.

Forum List

Back