Why do men reject God?

I believe this guy nailed it. In fact. I once asked the question...If there was proof that God was real, would you worship Him? Most people said no, and gave reasons similar to the ones in the OP. As you can see, disbelief is not the result of rational thought, but emotion.

Wow, the twisted logic of Bible thumpers....

The point is, there is no proof of a God at all... Which is why the world has so many.

god can't be rejected boecause there is no god
Did you ever consider the possibility that you can perceive no God because God has rejected you?
no

Alrighty then.. consider it now and then ask yourself honestly if you could blame him..

Would you let someone into your house who is knocking at your door in the middle of the night, dressed in filthy rags, reeking of cheap wine and vomit?

So you are saying God only answers if you knock in the daytime, are well dressed and smelling good? Really?

Burn some Kosher meat. It is a sweet smelling savour unto the Lord.

No silly. you throw the fat on the fire and eat the meat.

and if you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding!

I believe this guy nailed it. In fact. I once asked the question...If there was proof that God was real, would you worship Him? Most people said no, and gave reasons similar to the ones in the OP. As you can see, disbelief is not the result of rational thought, but emotion.

The point is, there is no proof of a God at all... Which is why the world has so many.

So I said, “I will not be your shepherd. What is to die, let it die. What is to be destroyed, let it be destroyed. And let those who are left devour the flesh of one another.” Zechariah 11:9

by Wayne Jackson
Most people in the world, throughout the ages of history, have believed in some concept of a Supreme Being. They may have had a perverted sense of Who that Being is, but they were convinced that there is a Personal Power greater than man. Given the evidence available, faith is reasonable. That is why the psalmist declared: “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God” (Psalm 14:1). The Hebrew word for “fool” suggests one who is not thinking rationally.

Since unbelief is neither reasonable nor the norm, one cannot but wonder why some people become atheists. I am convinced, after reflecting upon the matter for many years, that religious disbelief does not result from logical conclusions based on well-researched data. Rather, generally speaking, emotional motivation of some sort is a primary causative factor.

Consider the following case. In 1996, Judith Hayes, a senior writer for The American Rationalist, authored a caustic, atheistic tirade titled: In God We Trust: But Which One? In this treatise, Mrs. Hayes revealed two clues as to why she left the Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod) and became an atheist.

As a youngster, she had a friend who was a Buddhist. Judith was very close to “Susan,” and she simply could not tolerate the idea that her friend, who did not accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God, might be lost apart from the biblical redemptive system.

So, rather than carefully examining the evidence to determine whether or not the claims of the Lord (as set forth in the New Testament record — see John 14:6; Acts 4:12) are true, she simply decided, on an emotional and reactionary basis, that Christianity could not be genuine.

Eventually Judith married, but the relationship degenerated. Mrs. Hayes claims her husband was verbally abusive. Again, though, instead of considering the possibility that she might have been responsible for having made a bad choice in her marital selection, or that her husband decided on his own volition to be abusive (in direct violation of divine teaching — Ephesians 5:25ff), she blamed God for her disappointment.

“[H]ow could I possibly have wound up married to a tyrant? Why had God forsaken me?,” she wrote (1996, p. 15). God did not forsake her. He honored her freedom of choice, and that of her husband as well. Human abuse of that freedom is not the Lord’s responsibility.

The infidel William Ernest Henley (1849-1903) was known principally for his skeptical poem, Invictus. As a youngster, Henley contracted tuberculosis, and had to have one foot amputated. He suffered much across the years and became quite bitter. He wrote:

In the fell clutch of circumstanceI have not winced or cried aloud.Under the bludgeonings of chance,
my head is bloody, but unbowed.

His disbelief, however, was emotional, not intellectual.

The late Isaac Asimov once wrote: “Emotionally I am an atheist. I don’t have the evidence to prove that God doesn’t exist, but I so strongly suspect that he doesn’t that I don’t want to waste my time” (1982, pp. 6-10, emp. added).

In one of his books, Aldous Huxley acknowledged that he had reasons for “not wanting the world to have a meaning.” He contended that the “philosophy of meaningless” was liberating. He confessed that the morality of theism interfered “with our sexual freedom” (1966, p. 19). This is hardly a valid argument for rejecting the vast array of evidence that testifies to the existence of a Supreme Being!

Here is an important point. When men have motives for resisting faith in God, and when — out of personal prejudice — they are predisposed to reject the Creator, they become “ripe” for philosophical skepticism.
No real proof. Not a rejection though, come with real proof and i'll believe.

There is plenty of proof that GOD exists. There is the fact that the Hebrews/Jews have been around for thousands of years and have suffered like no other group and yet still persist. The Bible clearly states that this would be the case --- even down to the dispersion and regathering of the Nation of Israel.

And then there is the fact that mathematics is so concise, even down to chemical mixtures. Everything in the solar system and the Universe hangs on invisible forces. Who has seen the wind? Who has seen gravity? But who doesn't believe these thing exists, even though invisible? Perhaps the fool?

There are many gods because man wants one in his OWN image --- one he can control/manipulate. The one TRUE GOD isn't like that!

There is plenty of proof that GOD exists. There is the fact that the Hebrews/Jews have been around for thousands of years and have suffered like no other group and yet still persist. The Bible clearly states that this would be the case --- even down to the dispersion and regathering of the Nation of Israel.

And then there is the fact that mathematics is so concise, even down to chemical mixtures. Everything in the solar system and the Universe hangs on invisible forces. Who has seen the wind? Who has seen gravity? But who doesn't believe these thing exists, even though invisible? Perhaps the fool?

There are many gods because man wants one in his OWN image --- one he can control/manipulate. The one TRUE GOD isn't like that!

Good argument. You left out something.

There is plenty of proof that GOD exists.

proof of the metaphysical has nothing to do with the madeup christian bible and the false messiah religion that book claims and is contrary to the events of the 1st century.

Um, no, not really. The bible only proves the Jewish Culture came up with excuses as to why the Imaginary Sky Fairy didn't answer their prayers...

We can prove those things exist. God, not so much.

Here's the thing. People used to believe in Osiris. Or Zeus. Or Odin. And they were just as absolutely convinced of their existence as you are of Jehovah's..

proof of the metaphysical has nothing to do with the madeup christian bible and the false messiah religion that book claims and is contrary to the events of the 1st century.
The New Testament is the fulfillment of the ancient Old Testament. There are no contradictions.

Um, no, not really. The bible only proves the Jewish Culture came up with excuses as to why the Imaginary Sky Fairy didn't answer their prayers...

We can prove those things exist. God, not so much.

Here's the thing. People used to believe in Osiris. Or Zeus. Or Odin. And they were just as absolutely convinced of their existence as you are of Jehovah's..

The belief in Jehovah clearly has adherence back to Abraham (if you don't accept Adam and Noah and Job) and does not fade away to this very day. Odin, Zeus, Mars, Venus --- were all city gods. Every city had it's favorite. These were all "super humans" in style and not at all like unto GOD who is a mysterious TRIUNE and not dependent on supporting fellow gods to accomplish feats of the nature HE created and established. The GOD I believe in has no beginning ---unlike most of those impostors, and cannot be exterminated. And it seems to me that even the Greeks (according to the Bible ) had a monument dedicated to the UNKNOWN GOD. So clearly, even they were not fully convinced of their gods.

The New Testament is the fulfillment of the ancient Old Testament. There are no contradictions.

the contradiction is the uninterpreted history for your religion of persecution and victimization of the innocent - to this day.

upload_2019-8-26_23-16-28.jpeg

written in the forgeries of the christian bible.

The belief in Jehovah clearly has adherence back to Abraham (if you don't accept Adam and Noah and Job)

I don't even accept Abraham. I halfway expect David was a myth. Oh, yeah, and Jesus? Totally made up.

The GOD I believe in has no beginning ---unlike most of those impostors, and cannot be exterminated. And it seems to me that even the Greeks (according to the Bible ) had a monument dedicated to the UNKNOWN GOD. So clearly, even they were not fully convinced of their gods.

That begs the question, then, why half of Humanity doesn't worship him. Even if you accept that the Muslims worship the same God you do, the Taoists, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Shintos don't. They have their own Gods.

Odin, Zeus, Mars, Venus --- were all city gods. Every city had it's favorite. These were all "super humans" in style and not at all like unto GOD who is a mysterious TRIUNE and not dependent on supporting fellow gods to accomplish feats of the nature HE created and established.

Actually, Zeus was far more worshipped than Jehovah at one point. Jehovah started out as a "City God", too. Even passages of the bible indicate that other Gods worshipped by other tribes were "real".

the contradiction is the uninterpreted history for your religion of persecution and victimization of the innocent - to this day.

View attachment 276153

There is one Bible and many translations. Some of them are inferior. The supposed "Christian" atrocities were carried out by a STATE manipulated religion. We are seeing that resurgence today beginning where Bible believers are being persecuted by the religion of LIBERALITY. People being brought into court simply because they do not adhere to a doctrine that insists that one must capitulate to the WANTS of certain individuals deemed "protected" by the STATE. They don't want the Bible in schools ---- and the STATE of the Middle Ages didn't want its citizens reading the Bible ---- but have them TOLD what it said and meant by THE STATE run "church". It was NEVER about the CHURCH running the STATE in the US. It was actually about the STATE running the CHURCH. In an open society, Bible reading is free to all and an ANYTIME. It can be referenced whenever an individual so desires. In a STATE manipulated society, there are restraints and BIBLE morality is saved for only for auspicious occasions when it suits the STATE. And the BIBLE is excluded when it is considered an embarrassment to the STATE and STATE sponsored beliefs such as EVOLUTION. Keep the Bible out of education and one can keep individuals in their designated PLACE. Average citizens attended average STATE controlled institutions. The children of governmental officials attend prestigious ones.

No real proof. Not a rejection though, come with real proof and i'll believe.

What? So if you don't want to be saved, why do yo need to believe. If you want be saved, you need faith to believe, that's the deal!

You are contradicting yourself. If the contradiction is without your own awareness, it's called stupidity!

=======
It's all about how humans can get to a truth.

If hell is true then how possible is it for humans to get to this truth? That's the question. One possible way is to boost up our technology level, such that we can prove it's absence. A very strange fact is that long before the emergence of human science, ancient humans seemed to have already defined hell/soul and etc. don't lie inside our realm (our space/time). How possible is it for our science to prove the absence of such things lying outside of our living realm (space/time).

Maybe to the atheists' surprise, our science has gone that far yet! It simply means we can't rely on our technology to examine hell's existence, or to go outside of our space/time to gather evidence of such an existence. Science is not the way to prove or disprove such an existence, not within your life time anyway. So the question remains, "do you still want to know the answer within your life time on what could possibly happen after your death?"

Now an alternative way to possibly get to this truth. If a God exists and He chooses to tell humans, then humans can thus get to this truth. But how? Of course if the God is willing to confront humans and to tell them directly, then humans will know. If on the other hand, if the God has a good reason to hide behind, then what will be the possibilities for humans to get to the truth?

The most fundamental way for humans to get to a truth is by faith in human testimonies. We (humans in majority) don't need to acquired evidence of black holes to confirm their existence. Instead, we have faith in our scientists such that we know the existence of black holes without any single piece of physical evidence. Our scientists act as credible eyewitnesses accounts to testify the truth of black holes for us to reach this truth.

Similarly, we can look into the credibility of human eyewitnesses accounts testifying the truth of God, then for us to consider the message conveyed in this God's holy book. This actually remains the only way for humans to get to the truth of hell. (though it demands not only faith, but also wisdom)

The OT is about how God allows the weak and outnumbered Jews to survive history, by eradicating the already dead Canaanites, to bring forward the message of salvation to today's humans to save the many. The NT is a covenant offered to today's humans.

View attachment 276153

There is one Bible and many translations. Some of them are inferior. The supposed "Christian" atrocities were carried out by a STATE manipulated religion. We are seeing that resurgence today beginning where Bible believers are being persecuted by the religion of LIBERALITY. People being brought into court simply because they do not adhere to a doctrine that insists that one must capitulate to the WANTS of certain individuals deemed "protected" by the STATE. They don't want the Bible in schools ---- and the STATE of the Middle Ages didn't want its citizens reading the Bible ---- but have them TOLD what it said and meant by THE STATE run "church". It was NEVER about the CHURCH running the STATE in the US. It was actually about the STATE running the CHURCH. In an open society, Bible reading is free to all and an ANYTIME. It can be referenced whenever an individual so desires. In a STATE manipulated society, there are restraints and BIBLE morality is saved for only for auspicious occasions when it suits the STATE. And the BIBLE is excluded when it is considered an embarrassment to the STATE and STATE sponsored beliefs such as EVOLUTION. Keep the Bible out of education and one can keep individuals in their designated PLACE. Average citizens attended average STATE controlled institutions. The children of governmental officials attend prestigious ones.

The supposed "Christian" atrocities were carried out by a STATE manipulated religion.

Christianity in the 4th century was dominated in its early stage by Constantine the great and the First Council of Nicaea of 325, which was the beginning of the period of the First seven Ecumenical Councils (325–787), and in its late stage by the Edict of Thessalonica of 380, which made Nicene Christianity the state church of the Roman Empire.

that is the origin of the christian bible, written in the 4th century as a "STATE manipulated religion" - where the religion is used for political motives - as you prove latter in your post, nipper - you are more concerned with your politics than the validity of your messiah religion.

We are seeing that resurgence today beginning where Bible believers are being persecuted by the religion of LIBERALITY. People being brought into court simply because they do not adhere to a doctrine that insists that one must capitulate to the WANTS of certain individuals deemed "protected" by the STATE.

the events of the 1st century had everything to do with your complaint, it is the "Bible believers" that altered those events for the very purpose to selfishly impose their beliefs over others without justification through the forgeries of the 4th century christian bible.

the religion of antiquity has nothing to do with your contrived messiah, savior religion and your refusal to recognize the difference is purely a matter of your political objectives that book falsely portrays (for its audience) as a religion. recorded history is the witness to your crimes.

by Wayne Jackson
Most people in the world, throughout the ages of history, have believed in some concept of a Supreme Being. They may have had a perverted sense of Who that Being is, but they were convinced that there is a Personal Power greater than man. Given the evidence available, faith is reasonable. That is why the psalmist declared: “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God” (Psalm 14:1). The Hebrew word for “fool” suggests one who is not thinking rationally.

Since unbelief is neither reasonable nor the norm, one cannot but wonder why some people become atheists. I am convinced, after reflecting upon the matter for many years, that religious disbelief does not result from logical conclusions based on well-researched data. Rather, generally speaking, emotional motivation of some sort is a primary causative factor.

Consider the following case. In 1996, Judith Hayes, a senior writer for The American Rationalist, authored a caustic, atheistic tirade titled: In God We Trust: But Which One? In this treatise, Mrs. Hayes revealed two clues as to why she left the Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod) and became an atheist.

As a youngster, she had a friend who was a Buddhist. Judith was very close to “Susan,” and she simply could not tolerate the idea that her friend, who did not accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God, might be lost apart from the biblical redemptive system.

So, rather than carefully examining the evidence to determine whether or not the claims of the Lord (as set forth in the New Testament record — see John 14:6; Acts 4:12) are true, she simply decided, on an emotional and reactionary basis, that Christianity could not be genuine.

Eventually Judith married, but the relationship degenerated. Mrs. Hayes claims her husband was verbally abusive. Again, though, instead of considering the possibility that she might have been responsible for having made a bad choice in her marital selection, or that her husband decided on his own volition to be abusive (in direct violation of divine teaching — Ephesians 5:25ff), she blamed God for her disappointment.

“[H]ow could I possibly have wound up married to a tyrant? Why had God forsaken me?,” she wrote (1996, p. 15). God did not forsake her. He honored her freedom of choice, and that of her husband as well. Human abuse of that freedom is not the Lord’s responsibility.

The infidel William Ernest Henley (1849-1903) was known principally for his skeptical poem, Invictus. As a youngster, Henley contracted tuberculosis, and had to have one foot amputated. He suffered much across the years and became quite bitter. He wrote:

In the fell clutch of circumstanceI have not winced or cried aloud.Under the bludgeonings of chance,
my head is bloody, but unbowed.

His disbelief, however, was emotional, not intellectual.

The late Isaac Asimov once wrote: “Emotionally I am an atheist. I don’t have the evidence to prove that God doesn’t exist, but I so strongly suspect that he doesn’t that I don’t want to waste my time” (1982, pp. 6-10, emp. added).

In one of his books, Aldous Huxley acknowledged that he had reasons for “not wanting the world to have a meaning.” He contended that the “philosophy of meaningless” was liberating. He confessed that the morality of theism interfered “with our sexual freedom” (1966, p. 19). This is hardly a valid argument for rejecting the vast array of evidence that testifies to the existence of a Supreme Being!

Here is an important point. When men have motives for resisting faith in God, and when — out of personal prejudice — they are predisposed to reject the Creator, they become “ripe” for philosophical skepticism.

"If there was proof that God was real, would you worship Him?"

can't we just be friends?

do I have to actually worship him?

Forum List

Back