Why do Christians Strongly Disagree with Science and Distrust Scientists

I don't disagree with good science, nor do I distrust ethical scientists.

I do have a problem with pseudo-intellectuals who throw together a jimble-jamble of half truths, outright lies, and bad science and proclaim it as "evidence" that God doesn't exist and all Christians are idiots.

Talk about an attempt to "slip by".

To what attempt to slip by are you referring?

And what's with the degrading to women: my dear? I'm not your dear. And it's condescending to speak to me that way.

You can try to side-step all you like by somehow attempting to discredit me (and "my dear" is hardly degrading to women, I thought that I would attempt to take the sting out of you being caught in your own argument, but that's gratitude for ya!), but its just making you look worse and worse, especially when you play the victim, the very type of person you complain about whining to the nanny state to wipe their butts for them.

My admiration and respect for you is quickly dissipating with this kind of behavior.

I'm hardly playing the victim, I'm calling you out on being condescending. It's not ok to use a familiar term with someone that you aren't truly familiar with. I'd think as a lib you'd be more sensitive than that and know better.

I've noticed a lot of Christians on this forum who seem to have a strong emotional reaction to science. They don't just disagree with some of science's theories which conflict with their religious beliefs, but they seem to think science is actually a bad thing altogether and leading humankind down a terrible path to extinction.

I don't know if it's political since Christians tend to vote Conservative and the GOP has always refuted global warming, but Christians tend not to, generally, believe in man-made global warming, or global warming at all. They don't believe in evolution (a scientific fact) or the Theory of Evolution through Natural Selection (a theory). They don't think the Big Bang is how the Universe began (though scientists would say we don't know if that's how if began or not, there is just a lot of evidence suggesting it). I would assume that if science ever proved that homosexuality had a genetic source, Christians would either deny the science, discredit the scientist or methods used, or claim it was a congenital or genetic birth defect.

Christians readily accept science's results. They drive cars, watch tv, listen to the radio, go to hospital, go to online forums to present their case against global warming and evolution, live in modern homes, work in engineering fields, support troops using the most advanced weapons and equipment, and go about their daily lives surrounded by the millions of advancements that science has brought in the form of technology. But for some reason, every other aspect of science seems to be suspect, and even insidious and dangerous.

Along with this, Christians seem to utterly distrust scientists (except Einstein for some reason) who are the very people who have wrought such a deeper understanding of reality and with it, the technological advances Christians enjoy each day. They tend to believe that scientists are in the pay of politicians and are therefore the pawns of politicians who wish to use science to push their agendas. Now, I wouldn't say that doesn't ever happen, but not on the grand scale with which Christians tend to believe. Or they think that scientists have some sort of personal ulterior motives for coming up with basless theories or discoveries which are supporting evidence. As though the scientists want to believe that evolution is a fact, instead of accepting that it is.

What gets me is that scientists refuse to believe in something which can't be proved using the scientific method and Christians use this as an argument against science even though there is absolutely not one shred or tiny fragment of scientific proof that their religious beliefs are true. Since we can't prove common origin of species, Christians refuse to believe it, despite all of the supporting evidence, some of which is very convincing. Yet, Christians will believe that what The Bible says is absolute, irrefutable truth. Same with the Big Bang, etc. etc.

I'm curious. Why is it that Christians so strongly and emotionally disagree with science and distrust scientists? Is it because science doesn't prove Christianity is truth, and even demonstrates that some of what the Bible claims is in error with scientific evidence? Is it because scientists tend not to be Christians? Is it that Christians tend not to be (and this is total speculation) very scientificaly minded and this is an emotional reaction to something they, as individuals, didn't do well during their education and/or don't understand well presently? What do Christians have against science?

Your argument is a strawman. Christians don't distrust nor disbelieve in science. They just don't believe science that steps out of the realm of science and into the realm of creation.

it's pretty simple really. Not one scientific theory is any more plausible, nor supported by any more evidence that religious creation.

I guess the real question would be is why science religionists spend sop damned much time trying to prove there is no God when you can't? Thread after thread on this board is nothing but science worshippers and those who believe in not believing trying their best to demean, discredit, ridicule nd otherwise insult Christians; which, is nothing more than a big neon sign that says "Insecurity Here!"

If you're so strong in your beliefs, don't worry about what I believe. Of course, that would actually be liberal of you and we couldn't have THAT, could we?

I've noticed a lot of Christians on this forum who seem to have a strong emotional reaction to science. They don't just disagree with some of science's theories which conflict with their religious beliefs, but they seem to think science is actually a bad thing altogether and leading humankind down a terrible path to extinction.

I don't know if it's political since Christians tend to vote Conservative and the GOP has always refuted global warming, but Christians tend not to, generally, believe in man-made global warming, or global warming at all. They don't believe in evolution (a scientific fact) or the Theory of Evolution through Natural Selection (a theory). They don't think the Big Bang is how the Universe began (though scientists would say we don't know if that's how if began or not, there is just a lot of evidence suggesting it). I would assume that if science ever proved that homosexuality had a genetic source, Christians would either deny the science, discredit the scientist or methods used, or claim it was a congenital or genetic birth defect.

Christians readily accept science's results. They drive cars, watch tv, listen to the radio, go to hospital, go to online forums to present their case against global warming and evolution, live in modern homes, work in engineering fields, support troops using the most advanced weapons and equipment, and go about their daily lives surrounded by the millions of advancements that science has brought in the form of technology. But for some reason, every other aspect of science seems to be suspect, and even insidious and dangerous.

Along with this, Christians seem to utterly distrust scientists (except Einstein for some reason) who are the very people who have wrought such a deeper understanding of reality and with it, the technological advances Christians enjoy each day. They tend to believe that scientists are in the pay of politicians and are therefore the pawns of politicians who wish to use science to push their agendas. Now, I wouldn't say that doesn't ever happen, but not on the grand scale with which Christians tend to believe. Or they think that scientists have some sort of personal ulterior motives for coming up with basless theories or discoveries which are supporting evidence. As though the scientists want to believe that evolution is a fact, instead of accepting that it is.

What gets me is that scientists refuse to believe in something which can't be proved using the scientific method and Christians use this as an argument against science even though there is absolutely not one shred or tiny fragment of scientific proof that their religious beliefs are true. Since we can't prove common origin of species, Christians refuse to believe it, despite all of the supporting evidence, some of which is very convincing. Yet, Christians will believe that what The Bible says is absolute, irrefutable truth. Same with the Big Bang, etc. etc.

I'm curious. Why is it that Christians so strongly and emotionally disagree with science and distrust scientists? Is it because science doesn't prove Christianity is truth, and even demonstrates that some of what the Bible claims is in error with scientific evidence? Is it because scientists tend not to be Christians? Is it that Christians tend not to be (and this is total speculation) very scientificaly minded and this is an emotional reaction to something they, as individuals, didn't do well during their education and/or don't understand well presently? What do Christians have against science?

Your argument is a strawman. Christians don't distrust nor disbelieve in science. They just don't believe science that steps out of the realm of science and into the realm of creation.

it's pretty simple really. Not one scientific theory is any more plausible, nor supported by any more evidence that religious creation.

I guess the real question would be is why science religionists spend sop damned much time trying to prove there is no God when you can't? Thread after thread on this board is nothing but science worshippers and those who believe in not believing trying their best to demean, discredit, ridicule nd otherwise insult Christians; which, is nothing more than a big neon sign that says "Insecurity Here!"

If you're so strong in your beliefs, don't worry about what I believe. Of course, that would actually be liberal of you and we couldn't have THAT, could we?

What about this new fangled Christian Science? The one where there's already a conclusion, and the data is forced to fit the end means, (IE, the earth was "made" 6,000-7,000 years ago?).

Everyone has the right to believe and pray to what they want. When it comes to proving God exists, those who try to prove it's existence come off sounding loopier than those who deny it's existence.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html:clap2:

It is simply untrue that Chritians reject Science.

The problem is that the foundation of all science is Philosophy.
Before any scientific inquiry can be made, a number of assumptions must be made, and a number of truths must be accepted:

We have limited accuracy of measurement.:eusa_whistle:( Heisenberg uncertainty principle)
:
For all things that can be measured, there is a point when the act of measuring itself changes the value being measured. That means there is no absolute measurement, and therefore there is a certain amount, however small, of uncertainty in any conclusion based on observational data.

To the extent that we can make measurements and observations, we uncover Physical laws. But science cannot answer why those laws exist, they just exist, because if they didn't we wouldn't be able to do anything, in fact we wouldn't be here to discover them.

But Physical laws do exist, and all observation demonstrates that laws are a product of intelligence.:eusa_eh:

We make assumptions about the past based on faith, because we were not there to witness or measure them. For example: All observations of the universe are based on the assumption that the speed of light HAS ALWAYS BEEN 186,000 miles per second. Now we have never observed otherwise (some exceptions to that), but our period of observation is miniscule.
This relates to the Man made GW debate. Our data sample is too small, so we have to use these computer models to "project". Those models have assumption stacked upon assumption. We can have all kinds of short term trends, but the climate is just impossibly chaotic. We can scarcely tell what the weather will be a week from now, let alone 50 years from now. They have "faith" in thier projections, though they are fraught with uncertainty. and yet they are arrogant enough to suggest that their projections merit establishing some kind of Global Authority to "Control" the climate. I don't think we have the capability to control the climate if we were certain we were causing a problem.

No, GW has become politisized as a vehicle to establish international power. It is and old story.. men grasping for power over others.

Last edited:
All Christians dislike science, because logic is the antithesis of faith.

no offense, but that's really stupid.

but very true...

TRY to make a logical argument without starting out with (probably unstated) presuppositions which you take on faith.

Seriously, do try.

I think you people mistake logic for something it's not.

We are all people of faith, folks.

Not every faith has to do with god, but there isn't one anong us whose lives are entirely based on logic.

In ffact saying you are a person who is entirely logical is like saying you are person who is entirely a hammer.

Logic is TOOL, not a PHILOSOPHY.

i'm Christian, and as faithful as can be, and I absolutely adore science! i am continually glued to the Discovery channel or watching NOVA on pbs etc!!! :D

NOTHING proven within Science has ever lessened my faith? They are not vinegar and water as implied by you, as far as I am concerned! And quite frankly colorado, who gives you the right to speak for Christians and be the ''decider'' on what they believe regarding science?

also, i recently read an article that the catholic church put out a statement that they support good Science, and learned from their previous decisions in history, when they didn't!

Care

Science itself does nothing to truly prove or disprove the existence of any gods, spirits, etc. however it will fill in the blanks, so to speak, in many areas. Creation myths from all religions lack one thing that science can add, details. The christian creation myth is one good example because so many know it. Their use of the time day makes it easy to dismiss, but truly, day is pretty subjective until recently and since the myth was written from the view of their god day could be hours to billions of years with no specific or strict amount of time. For instance my day is about 18 hours, while many people have 16 hour days, some have 20 hour days (not sure how they do that), and others will have less than that. Some species of animals have 4 hour days, some have more than 24 days. Day use to mean the time spent active and defining it universally is relatively mew.
The order the myth states can fit within scientific fact easily in spit of one flaw, some myths were based on logic and fact with some fantasy added. The creation myth is not countered much by science really, it's just a really simple myth with no real answers or insights. More of an appeasement. There are few others that can also be looked at in such a way from that religion. The problem is that there are some who think that science is trying to prove them wrong, when it's not really interested one way or the other. Evolution in no way accounts for how things were created, does not go against or for any religious myth, and offers many medical and biotech advances we need to survive now. The creation of the universe has no scientific fact or evidence, it's all pretty much wild theory at this time. How Terra was formed though we have sound facts and science, just no purpose. As I always say, science gives the how and religion give the why.
If you want to ignore one for the other, that is fine, but when you do you limit yourself and do not give you any room to grow. Without religion humanity has no purpose, without science humanity does not grow.

i'm Christian, and as faithful as can be, and I absolutely adore science! i am continually glued to the Discovery channel or watching NOVA on pbs etc!!! :D

NOTHING proven within Science has ever lessened my faith? They are not vinegar and water as implied by you, as far as I am concerned! And quite frankly colorado, who gives you the right to speak for Christians and be the ''decider'' on what they believe regarding science?

also, i recently read an article that the catholic church put out a statement that they support good Science, and learned from their previous decisions in history, when they didn't!

Care

Well this is the game we all play isn't it?

We take a large group of people, name then and then pretend that we can easily descibe them.

Christians all believe bla bal bla.

Gun owners are all bla bla bla.

Liberals are all bla bla bla.

There are ONE BILLION christians in the world.

The range of their beliefs is rather VAST.

Trying to characterize them without indentifying WHICH specific group of christians we're talking about is bound to lead us to false conclusions.

But our desire to SIMPLIFY the world, makes us want to simplify what groups in the world are like, too.

Stereotyping ALL Christians as ignoramouses who believe such-and-such is the game that SOME athetists enjoy best.

FWIW, a lot of Christians like to play the same game, only what they do is more along the lines of:

"If you don't believe exactly what I believe, you are NOT a Christian"

Last edited:
I'm hardly playing the victim, I'm calling you out on being condescending. It's not ok to use a familiar term with someone that you aren't truly familiar with. I'd think as a lib you'd be more sensitive than that and know better.

So, you admit: liberals are more sensitive than conservatives?:razz:

And I was just trying to be friendly by using the term "my dear" with you. It wasn't meant to be condescending at all.

It seems as though you refuse to admit that you have written posts which could be construed as 'homophobic' by those whose political perceptions fall more to the left of the political spectrum despite my actually quoting you in those posts in this thread. You then attempted to take the conversation off track by accusing me of being demeaning to women, condescending, and being insensitive. I thought you were more graceful than that.

If you want to ignore one for the other, that is fine, but when you do you limit yourself and do not give you any room to grow. Without religion humanity has no purpose, without science humanity does not grow.

I disagree with the above bolded statement. As a godless agnostic and a humanist, I think humankind does have a purpose. Its just that the purpose isn't an inherit part of the Universe and is, instead, one that we must make for ourselves. The same for meaning. If I were asked, "What is the meaning of life?" my answer would be: Whatever meaning we make for of it.

I think I must have not worded my OP as clearly as I should have. I didn't write "ALL Christians" and I did write "TEND to" and "generally" yet many Christians have come back after reading at said the same thing as you have above, Care. I don't think ALL Christians disagree with science or distrust scientists. I guess I should've made that clearer.

I don't think I am the only person who has seen that there are Christians who believe this way. In my personal experience, I have heard Christians say that science isn't good for humankind, have read posts by Christians who explicitly say the same, and have read articles and op. ed.'s written by Christians who explicitly they don't believe science, scientists are suspect, and that all faith should be put in the Jesus Christ and the Bible. It was to those Christians that I directed this thread.

Like I said above, not ALL Christians.

The Catholic Church has learned it lessons and itsn't as fundamentalistic or literalistic as it used to be. Even though they still can't use contraceptives.

Care

Care, I completely agree with you here, and I don't very often. :lol: But, I really don't think that's what he intended the thread to really be about anyway. He has a Christian bashing agenda, either that or he just likes talking to Amanda. Take your pick. :lol:

Care, I completely agree with you here, and I don't very often. :lol: But, I really don't think that's what he intended the thread to really be about anyway. He has a Christian bashing agenda, either that or he just likes talking to Amanda. Take your pick. :lol:

Actually, I just like talking to you, Newby. Hey. How you doin'? What are you doing after this thread dies? Wanna go get a coffee at a Starbucks and chat online? You like bad boys, don'tcha? So... what're you wearing? I can PM you some naked pics of me. I know you want to see'um! You Christian girls: so nice at Church but so naughty in bed! Ow! :razz:

Actually, I just like talking to you, Newby. Hey. How you doin'? What are you doing after this thread dies? Wanna go get a coffee at a Starbucks and chat online? You like bad boys, don'tcha? So... what're you wearing? I can PM you some naked pics of me. I know you want to see'um! You Christian girls: so nice at Church but so naughty in bed! Ow! :razz:

:lol: Actually I do like 'bad boys' CMM, however I already have one of my own, but thanks for the generours offer. And btw, just because you're a christian doesn't mean that you don't enjoy the finer points of intimacy. :tongue:

Your preconceived notions may be limiting your life expeiences?

:lol: Actually I do like 'bad boys' CMM, however I already have one of my own, but thanks for the generours offer. And btw, just because you're a christian doesn't mean that you don't enjoy the finer points of intimacy. :tongue:

Daaaaamn, girl!

Daaaaamn, girl!

You have a lot to learn apparently. :lol:

You have a lot to learn apparently. :lol:

Oh, I have been with Christian girls: three Mormons (one in a three-some, another was a loud screamer), a Catholic, a Methodist, a Unitarian, a Baptist, etc. and the hottest woman I was ever with was a hard-care conservative (though she believed in same-sex marriage and euthanasia). I've learned that sexually repressed women are great in bed.

My current girlfriend is a recovering Christian. She's even been on two missions to Kenya. She gave it up, though, when she saw just how hypocritical Christianity can be i.e. read posts by Evangelical. Now she's looking into Buddhism, though she still believes in a higher power. Her parents are religious Unitarians - very very nice, sweet people who voted for Obama. Same with her grandmother, and all of'em just love me, despite my godlessness and my bad boy past. Her mom had a thing for bad boys, too, when she was young. Maybe that's why she likes me so much.

Forum List

Back