"Why do Bad Things Happen to Good People"... book by a rabbi

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
The first time I saw the title of that book, I thought

"Because there are no good people."

First of all, the main reason we suffer is: Original sin

anyhow.. Today I read a book about that book... can't recall title but t he author says the same thing.. no good people

then he says that there are some people who try to be good (Christians) and when they also suffer... it is maybe bc they need to suffer for others..

our sufferings are redemptive... we can offer them for sinners on their way to Hell..

There are plenty of good people IMHO, way more good than bad. Not perfect people, nobody is perfect but the fact is that shit happens to everybody whether they deserve it or not. Why? Who the hell knows, but does it really matter?

The first time I saw the title of that book, I thought

"Because there are no good people."

First of all, the main reason we suffer is: Original sin

anyhow.. Today I read a book about that book... can't recall title but t he author says the same thing.. no good people

then he says that there are some people who try to be good (Christians) and when they also suffer... it is maybe bc they need to suffer for others..

our sufferings are redemptive... we can offer them for sinners on their way to Hell..
"Good people" by and large are stupid, gullible & naive.

There are plenty of good people IMHO, way more good than bad. Not perfect people, nobody is perfect but the fact is that shit happens to everybody whether they deserve it or not. Why? Who the hell knows, but does it really matter?
i agree w/ the last part of your post but not the first

most people are bad.. they ACT like they are good but when they are tested, they fail, sometimes miserably (which btw is why we need to often immerse our sinful, despicable selves in the Mercy of Christ... the only way we will drag our sorry ***s into Heaven (via Purgatory)

"Good people" by and large are stupid, gullible & naive.
well, that's what the devil wants u to believe, that being good by Christ's definition is a losing game... and it IS, if you go by worldy standards...

but there is another world and we are supposed 2b living for that one... most are NOT

which is why i say most people are NOT good...

i dunno... maybe it doesn't... I haven't figured it out yet so maybe it is not within my grasp to do so

therefore, it doesn't matter... I guess....

sometimes it is best to just let God be God and... humans be humans (as long as they don't kill ea other and etc)

sometimes it is best to just let God be God and... humans be humans (as long as they don't kill ea other and etc)

Especially since it appears we can't do diddly squat about it anyway, other than tending to our own affairs. My own philosophy is to be the best person I can be as often as possible, cuz what goes around comes around.

Especially since it appears we can't do diddly squat about it anyway, other than tending to our own affairs. My own philosophy is to be the best person I can be as often as possible, cuz what goes around comes around.
well, that's a good way to live and all should have that sentiment/goal

however, Jesus said that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.. and no one goes to the Father except through Him

and I know from experience alone that tht is so... because I always see bad stuff inside me... and it takes Jesus to get all that washed away...

then of course, there is another day and I have to start all over again bc people tick me off and I want to slap them and etc....

Jesus understands (though he doesn't want me acting on such...) and He alone forgives.

I've noticed humans don't do that easily...

No, no they're not. Happy, polite and honest as fuck but STUPID
I am a good person

and I have a high IQ... got nearly a 4 point GPA in college most semesters.. (didn't get a degree but that was due to personal life glitches...)

oh, i contradict myself. I said I don't know any good people, then I said that I am a good people... laugh... Well, what I meant was, I don't know MANY. I do know a couple other than myself... just had to think about it a minute or 2

In the book on Suffering written by Peter Kreeft

Kreeft makes the point that it is a false question (Y do Bad Things h appen to Good People)... and this is something I recognized a long time ago, confirmed over and over as I got older

namely that the Q is off bc there ARE no good people. "Why do you call me Good," Jesus said "There is none good, save God."

and the author makes another point i have been LONG wondering about: Why do good things happen to BAD people?

so yeh... But then there are people who do try to be good... TRY

and it does seem that they suffer a lot whereas evil people like those crooked *&^%$ in DC never seem to have a bad day. I know they will in the next life, but...... who wants to wait that long for justice? not revenge, justice

Forum List

Back