Why Do Americans Love to Blame Teachers So Much?

Figaro

VIP Member
Jul 23, 2014
Healthcare has its critics, but few of them are calling for doctors to be replaced. Education is different—and it has been throughout U.S. history.

People have a lot more experience with teachers than with doctors. For 12 years of our lives we've spent all day, 180 days a year, in a teacher's company. A doctor we see only once a year or so for a few minutes. And what a doctor does is naturally more mysterious than what a teacher does.

Discussions of education in the U.S. have repeatedly been framed in terms of moral panics. A moral panic occurs when "policymakers and the media focus on a single class of people…as emblems of a large, complex social problem." That single class of people is then systematically demonized, as politicians and pundits present "worst of the worst" cases as emblematic of the whole.
In fact, I think you could argue that moral panics do more than demonize a group of people.

Or maybe because most Americans either sweat their lives away at a dull-blue collar job, or enter into a corporate jungle where whatever they do is never enough, and advancement is usually due to the ability to suck up to authority and play office politics.

Or maybe because most Americans either sweat their lives away at a dull-blue collar job, or enter into a corporate jungle where whatever they do is never enough, and advancement is usually due to the ability to suck up to authority and play office politics.

This has what to do with the OP?

Healthcare has its critics, but few of them are calling for doctors to be replaced. Education is different—and it has been throughout U.S. history.

People have a lot more experience with teachers than with doctors. For 12 years of our lives we've spent all day, 180 days a year, in a teacher's company. A doctor we see only once a year or so for a few minutes. And what a doctor does is naturally more mysterious than what a teacher does.

Discussions of education in the U.S. have repeatedly been framed in terms of moral panics. A moral panic occurs when "policymakers and the media focus on a single class of people…as emblems of a large, complex social problem." That single class of people is then systematically demonized, as politicians and pundits present "worst of the worst" cases as emblematic of the whole.
In fact, I think you could argue that moral panics do more than demonize a group of people.

The fact that teachers are owned by the Democratic Party and the worst of them can't be fired.

Personally, I blame the price of cotton for everything.

Did you get drunk with JR tonight?

Did you get drunk with JR tonight?
No. I was alone.

The fact that teachers are owned by the Democratic Party and the worst of them can't be fired.

AND

1. Dealing with the real problem, ie illegitimacy is politically difficult.

2. The public Education system is doing a crappy job. They are more concerned with diversity and focusing on the poor performers than fostering excellence.

3. The University system is doing a crappy job. They are turning out a good product, but with out of control pricing and with a unwanted Free Gift of political indoctrination.

AND

2. The public Education system is doing a crappy job. They are more concerned with diversity and focusing on the poor performers than fostering excellence.

3. The University system is doing a crappy job. They are turning out a good product, but with out of control pricing and with a unwanted Free Gift of political indoctrination.
What about less incentive to learn? Students are aware of the minimal opportunities once they leave school. Shouldn't we blame both the educational systems and the students?

AND

What about less incentive to learn? Students are aware of the minimal opportunities once they leave school. Shouldn't we blame both the educational systems and the students?

Who has less incentive to learn in your opinion?

Minimal opportunities? Who has minimal opportunities once they leave school?

Blame the students? They are children. They are a produce of their home environment.

AND

It's worse than I thought or you could be a tad one sided.... as well as entertaining...:beer:

AND

It's worse than I thought or you could be a tad one sided.... as well as entertaining...:beer:

I have a daughter in a moderately good public school.

I've had a teacher tell me that my daughter is not their focus.

She did this to reassure me that my daughter was doing well.

Because they are focused on the kids who are not doing well.

I told this tale to a friend of mine who is a teacher. She related similar tales from her own children's education.

Bright well behaved kids are not the priority.

AND

Who has less incentive to learn in your opinion?

Minimal opportunities? Who has minimal opportunities once they leave school?

Blame the students? They are children. They are a produce of their home environment.
Considering the minimal opportunities once a student graduates, every student has less incentive to excel. Yes, minimal opportunities. Haven't you been keeping up with the jobs market over the past decade? As of now, the majority of our jobs are low-wage, part-time, and temporary employment. College grads are flipping burgers and living with parents. We're importing cheap labor, off-shore out-sourcing labor, and have millions of illegal immigrants living and working in this country.

In addition, employers are producing more with less employees. And, technology, innovation, and automation is replacing workers. So, where is the incentive to excel in school?

Yes, blame the students partially, why not? It's very difficult to teach someone that has no interest in learning. You can't force an education on students. Yes, they are children, but at what age does one learn the value of a good education? And, parents can't attend classes with their kids to ensure that they pay attention in class and learn. There's only so much parents and teachers can do to make sure that our students get a good education.

What takes place in the home does have an influence on children, you're absolutely correct. But, even a great home environment with giving loving parents doesn't guarantee a successful well educated student. And, like wise, the best efforts of the best teachers can't guarantee students will learn and excel in school. In order for our children and young adults to learn and get a good education, there has to be willingness and effort on both sides.

One big problem also is parenting.
The parents play just as large a roll, if not larger, as the teachers. If what is taught in school is not reinforced at home, it's not going to stick. And visa versa.
Parents have the right to determine what model works best for their child, not the teacher, and not the government.

AND

I told this tale to a friend of mine who is a teacher. She related similar tales from her own children's education.

Eh, my kids did well ..

I suspect teachers aren't allowed to be teachers that much anymore.. P.C.'d to silence or agreement by the liberal elite.

AND

Public ed deals with what it gets.

You can't make rocket scientists out of short bus material.

AND

Public ed deals with what it gets.

You can't make rocket scientists out of short bus material.

THere are plenty of potential "rocket scientists" in public school.

They are just being ignored while the system focuses on getting those with the least potential to meet the standards.

Teachers who ignore the brightest students are not doing a good job. Most teachers want to work with those students.

If you don't blame the educators of your children, there's only one other group potentially culpable: the parents. :)

A tight labor market means more competition. Competition is incentive for the best of the best.

AND

I taught 25 years.

I hardly remember the ones that "acted right".

Forum List

Back