Why Do Americans Love to Blame Teachers So Much?

What about less incentive to learn? Students are aware of the minimal opportunities once they leave school. Shouldn't we blame both the educational systems and the students?

Actually the parents bear more responsibility than either, if they are involved and care about education they will hold both the educators and the students feet to the fire.

Parents have limited ability to control education policy.

Wrong, parents have every ability to control everything, ever heard of a ballot?

My city is owned by the Democratic Party, as are many. Nothing will change this.

If the dem candidate was caught on film eating a living baby, he would still win.

Parents who do not have access to a decent school can move or send their children to a private school.

Sounds like you got your work cut out for ya.

Not really. Found a decent school. If that changes, we will be forced to move or send the kid to a private school.

The fact that teachers are owned by the Democratic Party and the worst of them can't be fired.

AND

1. Dealing with the real problem, ie illegitimacy is politically difficult.

2. The public Education system is doing a crappy job. They are more concerned with diversity and focusing on the poor performers than fostering excellence.

3. The University system is doing a crappy job. They are turning out a good product, but with out of control pricing and with a unwanted Free Gift of political indoctrination.
What about less incentive to learn? Students are aware of the minimal opportunities once they leave school. Shouldn't we blame both the educational systems and the students?

Actually the parents bear more responsibility than either, if they are involved and care about education they will hold both the educators and the students feet to the fire.

Wrong, parents have every ability to control everything, ever heard of a ballot?
Ballots mean nothing if they're filled with bad choices. Ever looked at the ballots when electing a president or a member of Congress?

Anyone ever tell you to teach to some
Our educational system has moved to how many students can you get over the bar. Teach to the bar and nothing more
Reward teachers who get the most over the bar

"bar" and no higher?
No soup for you!

If schools are rated on standardized tests, then teachers are rewarded for standardized tests

You still haven't answered the question.

AND

2. The public Education system is doing a crappy job. They are more concerned with diversity and focusing on the poor performers than fostering excellence.

3. The University system is doing a crappy job. They are turning out a good product, but with out of control pricing and with a unwanted Free Gift of political indoctrination.

Ballots mean nothing if they're filled with bad choices. Ever looked at the ballots when electing a president or a member of Congress?

If folks are involved they can change things on the local level, including who's on the ballot.

If folks are involved they can change things on the local level, including who's on the ballot.
That's the point, people aren't involved, and it's doubtful that they ever will be. We live in a mostly passive society. Everyone waits for someone else to make the noise and get the ball rolling.

That's the point, people aren't involved, and it's doubtful that they ever will be. We live in a mostly passive society. Everyone waits for someone else to make the noise and get the ball rolling.

Then they get what they deserve don't they.

Yes they do. But, what about the rest of us? Do we not suffer the consequences of their actions, or inactions? It's just like this forum where some of us try real hard to educate those blind to the workings of politics, and they turn a deaf ear to every single word.

I don't blame teachers, as they are doing what they can on a small salary, and limited resources from schools.

That said, public schools need a lot of work, as I have seen teachers just giving up - and letting kids run wild.

Parents can be even worse, if they don't help with homework or take an interest in their child's future.

Have to feel sorry for kids that grow up in homes where both parents are into drugs or alcohol, and don't get any support.

This focus on a "conservative education" is lunacy. Education should be apolitical. Conservatives parents are so afraid of their children growing up liberal, that they're prepared to sacrifice the future of their country to ensure it doesn't happen.

Yes they do. But, what about the rest of us? Do we not suffer the consequences of their actions, or inactions? It's just like this forum where some of us try real hard to educate those blind to the workings of politics, and they turn a deaf ear to every single word.

That's the beauty of federalism, if you don't like it where you are you are free to move to a place that is more acceptable. Detroit is a fine example of what happens when it gets beyond the point of no return, looks like Chicago and Baltimore aren't far behind.

Healthcare has its critics, but few of them are calling for doctors to be replaced. Education is different—and it has been throughout U.S. history.

People have a lot more experience with teachers than with doctors. For 12 years of our lives we've spent all day, 180 days a year, in a teacher's company. A doctor we see only once a year or so for a few minutes. And what a doctor does is naturally more mysterious than what a teacher does.

Discussions of education in the U.S. have repeatedly been framed in terms of moral panics. A moral panic occurs when "policymakers and the media focus on a single class of people…as emblems of a large, complex social problem." That single class of people is then systematically demonized, as politicians and pundits present "worst of the worst" cases as emblematic of the whole.
In fact, I think you could argue that moral panics do more than demonize a group of people.

Or maybe because most Americans either sweat their lives away at a dull-blue collar job, or enter into a corporate jungle where whatever they do is never enough, and advancement is usually due to the ability to suck up to authority and play office politics.

Quite the contrary, teachers are the victims as much as students are. I blame the corrupt bloated bureaucracy and union cronies that take way too much off the top. DC schools pay $29k per student. How's that working out?

Our educational system has moved to how many students can you get over the bar. Teach to the bar and nothing more

"bar" and no higher?
No soup for you!

If schools are rated on standardized tests, then teachers are rewarded for standardized tests

No soup for you

Went right over your head didn't it?

"bar" and no higher?
No soup for you!

No soup for you

Why won't you answer the question?

"bar" and no higher?
No soup for you!

No soup for you

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it wasn't answered

That's the beauty of federalism, if you don't like it where you are you are free to move to a place that is more acceptable. Detroit is a fine example of what happens when it gets beyond the point of no return, looks like Chicago and Baltimore aren't far behind.
And this country as a whole is getting closer to ruin and collapse as we speak. It's not just cities, it's states, and this nation. We've been in a downward spiral for a half century now, and it's not going to get better.

Healthcare has its critics, but few of them are calling for doctors to be replaced. Education is different—and it has been throughout U.S. history.

People have a lot more experience with teachers than with doctors. For 12 years of our lives we've spent all day, 180 days a year, in a teacher's company. A doctor we see only once a year or so for a few minutes. And what a doctor does is naturally more mysterious than what a teacher does.

Discussions of education in the U.S. have repeatedly been framed in terms of moral panics. A moral panic occurs when "policymakers and the media focus on a single class of people…as emblems of a large, complex social problem." That single class of people is then systematically demonized, as politicians and pundits present "worst of the worst" cases as emblematic of the whole.
In fact, I think you could argue that moral panics do more than demonize a group of people.

Or maybe because most Americans either sweat their lives away at a dull-blue collar job, or enter into a corporate jungle where whatever they do is never enough, and advancement is usually due to the ability to suck up to authority and play office politics.
The fact that teachers are owned by the Democratic Party and the worst of them can't be fired.
Simply not true.

"bar" and no higher?
No soup for you!

No soup for you

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it wasn't answered

You haven't answered.

AND

It's worse than I thought or you could be a tad one sided.... as well as entertaining...:beer:

I have a daughter in a moderately good public school.

I've had a teacher tell me that my daughter is not their focus.

She did this to reassure me that my daughter was doing well.

Because they are focused on the kids who are not doing well.

I told this tale to a friend of mine who is a teacher. She related similar tales from her own children's education.

Bright well behaved kids are not the priority.
I taught 25 years.

I hardly remember the ones that "acted right".
This is the truth....until the parents of those who get "ignored" because their children are not low, are not a problem, rise up and demand that education focus MORE on the good and average kids...nothing is going to change. I have many friends and relatives in public education and they say again and again that it is 50% dealing with the behavioral problems and 50% going above and beyond for the low kids who refuse to work for themselves but have hostile parents.

AND

It's worse than I thought or you could be a tad one sided.... as well as entertaining...:beer:

I have a daughter in a moderately good public school.

I've had a teacher tell me that my daughter is not their focus.

She did this to reassure me that my daughter was doing well.

Because they are focused on the kids who are not doing well.

I told this tale to a friend of mine who is a teacher. She related similar tales from her own children's education.

Bright well behaved kids are not the priority.
Bright students receive quite a bit of attention and the best teachers and opportunities
Students with learning disabilities also receive a lot of one on one attention

It is the C student who usually falls through the cracks
Unfortunately here, they are also getting ride of programs for the high/bright students....."all college and career ready" which is a pile of crap.

Forum List

Back