Why Didn't NY's "Red Flag Law" not apply to Payton S. Gendron (Buffalo Shooter) in 2021?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
In August of 2019, New York’s “red flag” law went into effect. The law allows a court to issue an Extreme Risk Protection Order (“ERPO”). An ERPO prevents those who show signs of being a risk to themselves or others from purchasing or possessing a firearm....... NY's ‘Red Flag’ Law: Extreme Risk Protection Orders to Remove Guns

I do not approve of Red Flag laws on general principle and the Buffalo shooter is just another reason why. They simply don't work as intended....They seem more tailored towards the "me too" movement than anything else.

NY's much ballyhooed "Extreme Rick Protection Order" (ERPO) "Red Flag Law" did shit-all to help prevent the shooting that unfolded yesterday even though NY's state police made contact with the shooter in 2021, almost a year ago.

In June 2021, police in Broome County were called by officials of a local high school who told them Gendron had threatened violence in comments made to fellow students.

“A school official reported that this very troubled young man had made statements indicating that he wanted to do a shooting, either at a graduation ceremony, or sometime after”.

State Police were sent to investigate and Gendron, under a section of state mental health laws, was referred for a mental health evaluation and counseling, the official said.

Gunman, 18, drove more than 3 hours to Buffalo to commit hate crime, officials say

It remains to be seen if a ERPO was ever issued or followed up on....The same can be said of the mental health evaluation and counseling....NY officials have a lot to answer for on this one.....Thing is NY will just double down on stupid with more ineffective laws.

In August of 2019, New York’s “red flag” law went into effect. The law allows a court to issue an Extreme Risk Protection Order (“ERPO”). An ERPO prevents those who show signs of being a risk to themselves or others from purchasing or possessing a firearm....... NY's ‘Red Flag’ Law: Extreme Risk Protection Orders to Remove Guns

I do not approve of Red Flag laws on general principle and the Buffalo shooter is just another reason why. They simply don't work as intended....They seem more tailored towards the "me too" movement than anything else.

NY's much ballyhooed "Extreme Rick Protection Order" (ERPO) "Red Flag Law" did shit-all to help prevent the shooting that unfolded yesterday even though NY's state police made contact with the shooter in 2021, almost a year ago.

In June 2021, police in Broome County were called by officials of a local high school who told them Gendron had threatened violence in comments made to fellow students.

“A school official reported that this very troubled young man had made statements indicating that he wanted to do a shooting, either at a graduation ceremony, or sometime after”.

State Police were sent to investigate and Gendron, under a section of state mental health laws, was referred for a mental health evaluation and counseling, the official said.

Gunman, 18, drove more than 3 hours to Buffalo to commit hate crime, officials say

It remains to be seen if a ERPO was ever issued or followed up on....The same can be said of the mental health evaluation and counseling....NY officials have a lot to answer for on this one.....Thing is NY will just double down on stupid with more ineffective laws.

T​

The thing is sih these killers. Evey time it happens their background comes out and people go WTF. Trying to stop them getting guns should be stepped up rather than abandoned. take on more staff and tax the gun makers.

You could also spend more money on mental health and try and sort out the crazies at source.

White supremacy is a disease that is killing people.

The thing is sih these killers. Evey time it happens their background comes out and people go WTF. Trying to stop them getting guns should be stepped up rather than abandoned. take on more staff and tax the gun makers.

You could also spend more money on mental health and try and sort out the crazies at source.

Meh, typical leftist response....More government and taxes.

tenor.gif

According to the DOJ statistics, the annual US murder ratio between Black and Whites is about 2:1, and if you take the population ratio into account that is incredibly high.
Yea, there are white supremist, but there are also racially motivated black killers that the Press never portrays as racist.
This creates a false narrative.
A couple of recent examples are Frank James the NYC subway shooter, and the Christmas parade killer Darrell Brooks.
So, try to show some balance.

Frank James the NYC subway shooter was also on the FBI watch list, but he also bought a gun.
He is also a racially motivated shooter, but the Press suppressed that fact.

The laws are ineffective because the gun lobby has MADE them ineffective.

A much better solution would be to allow the 10 victims families sue the gun store and the gun maker.

Betcha when that happens, you will see the gun industry clean up its act.

The laws are ineffective because the gun lobby has MADE them ineffective.

A much better solution would be to allow the 10 victims families sue the gun store and the gun maker.

Betcha when that happens, you will see the gun industry clean up its act.
Another BS leftist failed "solution" used by those making excuses for NY officials so that they can avoid responsibility.

In New York, the SAFE Act also made it more difficult for mentally ill people to obtain guns, by requiring mental health professionals to report to local mental health officials if patients are likely to harm themselves or others. These concerns can be reported to the state Division of Criminal Justice Services, which can “disqualify” people from having a permit or possessing firearms.

Seems to me if anyone should be sued it's the ones that allowed the nut-job to still be on the street and not locked away in a institution or at the very least flagged as a nut-job after the contact in 2021. Even the most rabid 2A supporter does not want someone like that on the street.

Par for the course with the leftists, they don't want the nut-jobs locked away, they want them acting-out so they can make even more anti-freedom laws that don't work..

Another BS leftist failed "solution" used by those making excuses for NY officials so that they can avoid responsibility.

In New York, the SAFE Act also made it more difficult for mentally ill people to obtain guns, by requiring mental health professionals to report to local mental health officials if patients are likely to harm themselves or others. These concerns can be reported to the state Division of Criminal Justice Services, which can “disqualify” people from having a permit or possessing firearms.

Seems to me if anyone should be sued it's the ones that allowed the nut-job to still be on the street and not locked away in a institution or at the very least flagged as a nut-job after the contact in 2021. Even the most rabid 2A supporter does not want someone like that on the street.

Par for the course with the leftists, they don't want the nut-jobs locked away, they want them acting-out so they can make even more anti-freedom laws that don't work..

Let's get real. The gun nuts are the gun industry's prime market. They want the person who wants lots of guns so he can fights him the gummit. Not the guy who bought one gun once and stuck it in his closet.

18% of the American people suffer from some sort of mental illness. Most of them being anxiety or depression disorders.

The problem is that it's too easy to get a gun and too hard to get mental health treatment.

Let's get real. The gun nuts are the gun industry's prime market. They want the person who wants lots of guns so he can fights him the gummit. Not the guy who bought one gun once and stuck it in his closet.

18% of the American people suffer from some sort of mental illness. Most of them being anxiety or depression disorders.

The problem is that it's too easy to get a gun and too hard to get mental health treatment.
Total BS.....Nut-jobs like the shooter would have been evaluated and locked-away back when I was his age. Simply put, NY authorities failed to protect the public and then to add insult to injury won't allow the public, in NY, to protect themselves without jumping through hoops for a almost unobtainium NY CHP.

Less than 1% of NY's population has a permit due to the restrictions/costs....Only surpassed by the usual subject high crime states of NJ, CA, MD, & DC......Ever wonder why MA/Boston has a murder rate on par with red states.....They have 7% of their population packing....About the same as Texas and Virginia.

How will taxing the gun manufacturers do anything?

Total BS.....Nut-jobs like the shooter would have been evaluated and locked-away back when I was his age. Simply put, NY authorities failed to protect the public and then to add insult to injury won't allow the public, in NY, to protect themselves without jumping through hoops for a almost unobtainium NY CHP.

The question is, did this guy meet the legal standard for insanity. I actually read the first 45 pages of his manifesto... and yes, while he's disturbed and has some truly fucked up views, I doubt he would have been institutionalized even by the standards in the 1970's.

The standard today is, does he present an immediate danger to himself or others.

Less than 1% of NY's population has a permit due to the restrictions/costs....Only surpassed by the usual subject high crime states of NJ, CA, MD, & DC......Ever wonder why MA/Boston has a murder rate on par with red states.....They have 7% of their population packing....About the same as Texas and Virginia.

I don't think having more maniacs out there with guns is helping all that much.

The question is, did this guy meet the legal standard for insanity. I actually read the first 45 pages of his manifesto... and yes, while he's disturbed and has some truly fucked up views, I doubt he would have been institutionalized even by the standards in the 1970's.

The standard today is, does he present an immediate danger to himself or others.

One that was a good shot under pressure might have made a difference. He had a lot of protection though so it's hard to say. I understand that the retired cop hit him in his armor at least once. Sad.

More good guys with guns is the answer.

Except he wasn't a white supremest liar! He was a commie just like you by his own words.

One that was a good shot under pressure might have made a difference. He had a lot of protection though so it's hard to say. I understand that the retired cop hit him in his armor at least once. Sad.
The security guard was at a great disadvantage because the shooter had the element of surprise.

Meh, typical leftist response....More government and taxes.

tenor.gif

So what's your solution?

Tommy is correct. We do need to spend more money on mental health treatment in this country and we need to change our laws so that it's easier to involuntarily commit people for treatment. Almost every one of these mass shooters have had two things in common: their mental health was out of check and they were medicated by psychotropic drugs.

How much time have you spent engaging with the homeless? We have an increasing homelessness problem here in Las Vegas. My brother is a cop for Metro. I've been on ride-alongs with him and almost every homeless person we encountered and arrested was either mentally ill, a drug addict, or both. It seems to go hand in hand. We should be able to pick these people up off the streets, admit them to a mental health facility for the treatment they need and get their heads on straight and then return them to society with additional follow up care so they don't revert back. This is what goes on in some other countries, but we lack the financial resources for it.

The security guard was at a great disadvantage because the shooter had the element of surprise.
That and due to liability most cops have been trained to shoot center of mass for the last 40+ years.

I think the last qualifying session I went through that still used bull's-eye targets must have been about 1977 or so.

So what's your solution?

Tommy is correct. We do need to spend more money on mental health treatment in this country and we need to change our laws so that it's easier to involuntarily commit people for treatment. Almost every one of these mass shooters have had two things in common: their mental health was out of check and they were medicated by psychotropic drugs.

How much time have you spent engaging with the homeless? We have an increasing homelessness problem here in Las Vegas. My brother is a cop for Metro. I've been on ride-alongs with him and almost every homeless person we encountered and arrested was either mentally ill, a drug addict, or both. It seems to go hand in hand. We should be able to pick these people up off the streets, admit them to a mental health facility for the treatment they need and get their heads on straight and then return them to society with additional follow up care so they don't revert back. This is what goes on in some other countries, but we lack the financial resources for it.
Plucking people off the street and committing them is unconstitutional and rightfully so, because a law making that legal could and IMO would be heavily abused.

Forum List

Back