Why Did You Leave Christianity Behind?

Every person is a sinner. What you consider yourself is moot. The fact is we all have selfish, cruel, un Christian and yes, evil, impulses. That's what it means to be human.

I get so tired of the self-centered whining about "I'm a good person so I'm not going to be Christian, how dare they say we're all sinful!"

It's so juvenile and completely clueless about the nature of Christianity..and humanity.

The above is another reason why I left the Christian faith. Christians always telling me what I am and how I should think.

You misrepresent Christians, then whine when they set you straight and say "That's why I hate Christianity!"

typical.

I was raised Christian. I went to Sunday school every Sunday. I went to summer Christian camps. I know what they taught.

And I'm not whining. I doubt you even know the meaning of the word.
he whined.

It probably comes down to what touches you. Even without the negativity I doubt Christianity would have stuck with me. I simply didn't connect to it. It had no spiritual resonance for me.

This makes perfect sense because we're such a diverse race. Why would we ever assume that one path fits everyone.
why would we ever assume there are multiple paths?

Many Americans grew up steeped in Christian culture. Went to church events. Celebrated the holidays. Even took part in the rituals.

Then... Many have an awakening, or change of heart if you will. And ultimately walk away; or reject the Christian religion out right. In the end, there are probably as many reasons as there are people...

What was yours?
I discovered Christ.
Very few are like you.

The judgemental aspect of the Christian religion always bothered me. You know that 'you are a bad person and must repent for your terrible sins'. I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.

Also the creator god idea never made sense. The idea that because there's an order in the universe there must be an orderer. Makes no sense.
I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.
Your parents and all those around you say otherwise.

Still looking for the first parent to have to teach their child to be bad.

Every person is a sinner. What you consider yourself is moot. The fact is we all have selfish, cruel, un Christian and yes, evil, impulses. That's what it means to be human.

I get so tired of the self-centered whining about "I'm a good person so I'm not going to be Christian, how dare they say we're all sinful!"

It's so juvenile and completely clueless about the nature of Christianity..and humanity.

The above is another reason why I left the Christian faith. Christians always telling me what I am and how I should think.

Oh come on that's a cop out. Saying we are all human with sometimes selfish, cruel motives is just the truth. People hold onto a few faults they see or have experienced and miss out on so much!

You misrepresent Christians, then whine when they set you straight and say "That's why I hate Christianity!"

typical.

I was raised Christian. I went to Sunday school every Sunday. I went to summer Christian camps. I know what they taught.

The things above can teach, but Its not something any human can force on you .

typical.

he whined.

She farted.

Oh come on that's a cop out. Saying we are all human with sometimes selfish, cruel motives is just the truth. People hold onto a few faults they see or have experienced and miss out on so much!

Of course, but I'm being told it's a transgression against divine law.

typical.

The things above can teach, but Its not something any human can force on you .

People making a kid feel guilty is manipulation and 'forcing'.

Many Americans grew up steeped in Christian culture. Went to church events. Celebrated the holidays. Even took part in the rituals.

Then... Many have an awakening, or change of heart if you will. And ultimately walk away; or reject the Christian religion out right. In the end, there are probably as many reasons as there are people...

What was yours?

I was born Christian, but found that if I used my brain, I could see through the nonsense quite easily.

The judgemental aspect of the Christian religion always bothered me. You know that 'you are a bad person and must repent for your terrible sins'. I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.

Also the creator god idea never made sense. The idea that because there's an order in the universe there must be an orderer. Makes no sense.
I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.
Your parents and all those around you say otherwise.

Still looking for the first parent to have to teach their child to be bad.

We're talking sin here and there's a difference between doing bad actions and being a bad person.

What was yours?
I discovered Christ.
Very few are like you.
While I tend to agree that "few are like me"... I am unsure of what you mean, when you say so.

In my experience the most vile, hypocritic people I have ever met were the most devout

I don't know if I ever really believed. Even as a child I had my doubts. I was just afraid to admit to it or say anything about it.
I too, as a child, and into adulthood found certain elements... Elements from within myself, things of great importance; lacking within the practice of Christianity.
The importance of blood family being one. The whole concept of "one family in the body of Christ" always felt somewhat alien to me. Though I do understand the intent; I could not justify the elevation of those not of my blood to the level of importance that I innately reserve for my kinfolk. My blood. For when we die, it is our blood who carve out our headstones.

In my experience the most vile, hypocritic people I have ever met were the most devout
While I've already stated, and will say again; some of the people I most trust, and respect have adopted Christianity... Those for whom I hold the most animosity, for their transgressions against myself, and my blood... They too professed to be Christians.

While I've already stated, and will say again; some of the people I most trust, and respect have adopted Christianity... Those for whom I hold the most animosity, for their transgressions against myself, and my blood... They too professed to be Christians.

I agree but for the second part of your comment. For that I would say, atheists or non believers in a higher power.

I agree but for the second part of your comment. For that I would say, atheists or non believers in a higher power.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying...

I left The Church of Rome because of strong and fundamental disagreements with Francis who himself has made some very anti-Christian statements
Care to list them?

One thing people don't like is that some people don't respect those who have a Faith and it's treated with derision, there are no more arrogant people than Athiests who it's almost impossible to have any sort of discussion with. At least you can have a discussion with Agnostics.

So some of Francis' anti-Christian statements are him saying that Athiests can go to Heaven, that Our Lord couldn't work miracles, having no actual problem with abortion, he told priests that they can if they wish forgive women who have had abortions, he has no right to make such statements he ISN'T God only God can forgive and absolve, then he in a rambling interview likened ISIS to Jesus Christ's Disciples spreading the word, he also has said all religions are the same when they are not.

Here's the likening ISIS to Jesus Christ's Disciples spreading the word.

"Pope Francis: Today, I don’t think that there is a fear of Islam as such but of ISIS and its war of conquest, which is partly drawn from Islam. It is true that the idea of conquest is inherent in the soul of Islam. However, it is also possible to interpret the objective in Matthew’s Gospel, where Jesus sends his disciples to all nations, in terms of the same idea of conquest."

The below link gives the full interview with Francis that the above quote is from, he also makes other alarming statements in the same interview.

INTERVIEW Pope Francis

There are many people like me who consider Francis an Anti-Pope, an Apostate and a Heretic.

My entire family have been Roman Catholic since the 5th Century, during Pope Celestine I. We've now left the Roman Church and have been confirmed Orthodox Christian, although we don't attend that church now either.

Pope Saint Celestine I, as well as being revered as a Saint by the Roman Church, he's also revered as a Saint by the Eastern Orthodox Church, the former his Feast Day is April 6th, the latter his Feast Day is April 8th.

When he said they can forgive women of abortion it meant they can receive the Eucharist if they confess. Even the character of Jesus in the NT hung with sinners , after all those without sin do not need a doctor.. You think everyone is or was hiding pedophilia, not everyone , they do to the same as the Rabbis in NY , when caught send them to Israel. You got a few priests who abused those boys, not many and it was not widespread like you let on.

Forum List

Back