Why did Comey do it?

He didn't make an announcement. He sent a letter to Congress. As was his responsiblity. Where it went from there is not his responsibility.

There was zero chance that the letter would not become public. It was not his responsibility to make anything public. He broke every precedent in taking that action this close to an election with NO evidence whatsoever, and NO reason to believe there will be any new evidence found. It was clearly nothing more than an attempt to effect the election.
He did not make the letter public. End of story.

He knew there was zero chance that the letter would not become public.
Then any grievance should be directed at those who made it public.

Right. Just like if a bad dog was released on a child's playground where you know it will do great harm, you shouldn't blame the person who released the dog, you should just blame the dog.
Horrible analogy. He released it into secure custody. Someone else released it into the "playground". Your grievance is misplaced.

Last edited:
There was zero chance that the letter would not become public. It was not his responsibility to make anything public. He broke every precedent in taking that action this close to an election with NO evidence whatsoever, and NO reason to believe there will be any new evidence found. It was clearly nothing more than an attempt to effect the election.

Right. Just like if a bad dog was released on a child's playground where you know it will do great harm, you shouldn't blame the person who released the dog, you should just blame the dog.
Horrible analogy. He released it into secure cutody. Someone else released it into the "playground". Your grievance is misplaced.

Bullshit. Only an idiot would believe the republicans receiving that letter wouldn't immediately make it public, especially this close to an election.

Horrible analogy. He released it into secure cutody. Someone else released it into the "playground". Your grievance is misplaced.

Bullshit. Only an idiot would believe the republicans receiving that letter wouldn't immediately make it public, especially this close to an election.
Then those particular "Republicans" are responsible. Now... Who were "they"?

Comey knew it would immediately become public. That's why he sent his other letter.

On Friday night, Comey sent a peculiar and unusual memorandum to F.B.I. employees, purporting to justify his decision to write to Congress on the eve of the election. Alternately self-righteous and self-pitying, the message portrayed Comey’s decision as obligatory under the circumstances. He wrote:

Of course, we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations, but here I feel an obligation to do so given that I testified repeatedly in recent months that our investigation was completed. I also think it would be misleading to the American people were we not to supplement the record. At the same time, however, given that we don’t know the significance of this newly discovered collection of emails, I don’t want to create a misleading impression. In trying to strike that balance, in a brief letter and in the middle of an election season, there is significant risk of being misunderstood . . .

Comey says that he didn’t “want to create a misleading impression,” but that’s precisely what he did. He had to know that his vague letter to Congress virtually demanded elaboration from “senior government officials,” who would apply their own gloss, in the form of leaks. The responsibility for the confusion sown by these leaks, if not for the leaks themselves, belongs only to Comey. If the outcome of the Presidential election turns on Comey’s action, that’s his burden, and the nation’s, too.
James Comey’s Letter and the Problem of Leaks - The New Yorker

Comey knew it would immediately become public. That's why he sent his other letter.

On Friday night, Comey sent a peculiar and unusual memorandum to F.B.I. employees, purporting to justify his decision to write to Congress on the eve of the election. Alternately self-righteous and self-pitying, the message portrayed Comey’s decision as obligatory under the circumstances. He wrote:

Of course, we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations, but here I feel an obligation to do so given that I testified repeatedly in recent months that our investigation was completed. I also think it would be misleading to the American people were we not to supplement the record. At the same time, however, given that we don’t know the significance of this newly discovered collection of emails, I don’t want to create a misleading impression. In trying to strike that balance, in a brief letter and in the middle of an election season, there is significant risk of being misunderstood . . .

Comey says that he didn’t “want to create a misleading impression,” but that’s precisely what he did. He had to know that his vague letter to Congress virtually demanded elaboration from “senior government officials,” who would apply their own gloss, in the form of leaks. The responsibility for the confusion sown by these leaks, if not for the leaks themselves, belongs only to Comey. If the outcome of the Presidential election turns on Comey’s action, that’s his burden, and the nation’s, too.

"Of course, we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations, but here I feel an obligation to do so given that I testified repeatedly in recent months that our investigation was completed. I also think it would be misleading to the American people were we not to supplement the record."

His own words explain why he did, what he did. The release to the public was done by another party. As such; they are the ones to "blame".

"Of course, we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations, but here I feel an obligation to do so given that I testified repeatedly in recent months that our investigation was completed. I also think it would be misleading to the American people were we not to supplement the record."
His own words explain why he did, what he did. The release to the public was done by another party. As such; they are the ones to "blame".

So he sent the letter in an attempt to cover his ass. He knew it would immediately be public, and he was under no obligation other than his self imposed obligation. What he did was opposite to everything the FBI had ever done, opposed to FBI guidelines, and opposed to every precedent. A purely political action. I agree that it was sleazy for the republicans to do what they did, but we all knew they had no integrity anyway.

So he sent the letter in an attempt to cover his ass. He knew it would immediately be public, and he was under no obligation other than his self imposed obligation. What he did was opposite to everything the FBI had ever done, opposed to FBI guidelines, and opposed to every precedent. A purely political action. I agree that it was sleazy for the republicans to do what they did, but we all knew they had no integrity anyway.
I stopped reading after your second sentence... No man can know what another "will" do. None. At first you were angry about Comey making this announcement. I proved to you that he made no such announcement. Now you still want to go after Comey... Why don't you want to go after the party actually guilty of making this public?

Prosecutorial Misconduct. Comey broke every guideline and precedent in making that announcement so close to an election without any reason to believe there is any connection to Hillary Clinton. He even said there is no reason to believe there is any connection, only that he wanted to look at what might be found

You are no bulldawg... More like a little yapping Chihuahua... Yap on this peckerbreath...

FBI revisiting Clinton emails just latest in long history of 'October Surprises'

Four days before the 1992 presidential election, the feds indicted former Reagan Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger over the Iran-Contra affair.

Comey was not the one that leaked the letter to the press. Blame the ones that leaked the letter before blaming the man that notify the House...

Here are some possible scenarios:

1)
It is a planned diversion by the DNC since they realized Trump's inevitable victory. This is for the sole purpose of blaming the emails and Comey for Clinton losing the election and diminishing the importance of the real reason for people voting against the Establishment and corruption.
2)
Comey is hedging, since in case of the Trump's Presidency he might have been held responsible for dereliction of duties..perjury or similar charges.
3)
The Good Fairy came during night hovering over his bed and cast a spell on him to be honest for the rest of his life.

Any other possibilities?
He's a Republican and secretly one of Trumps Demented Moronic Minions

1)
It is a planned diversion by the DNC since they realized Trump's inevitable victory. This is for the sole purpose of blaming the emails and Comey for Clinton losing the election and diminishing the importance of the real reason for people voting against the Establishment and corruption.
2)
Comey is hedging, since in case of the Trump's Presidency he might have been held responsible for dereliction of duties..perjury or similar charges.
3)
The Good Fairy came during night hovering over his bed and cast a spell on him to be honest for the rest of his life.

Any other possibilities?
He's a Republican and secretly one of Trumps Demented Moronic Minions
I know of a secret Trump admirer here on the board, his name is Toto.

1)
2)
3)

Any other possibilities?
Here is a 4th:

Comey realizes that a Clinton presidency could jeopardize the SCOTUS.

Therefore he has rallied GOP voters to show up and vote for more GOP senators.

This would save the Senate and the SCOTUS.

I think what Comey has done is valiant but I do not see how he can remain at his post after this.

There will be pressure for him to resign.
jeopardize the SCOTUS? :confused-84::confused-84::confused-84:

So, just what do you guys think is going to happen to Hillary?
Nothing! Trumps demented minions will just beat their chest for the next 10 days and the only ones who will listen are those who already support the Orange Ogre.
Thank you...for changing up your vocabulary not for the content... the content makes no sense....

Forum List

Back