Why Conservatives just don't get the pope

Then you acknowledge that being anti-abortion or against same sex marriage are not Christian positions, IOW,

a person can be pro-choice and pro same sex marriage and be just as Christian as the next person?

A person that is pro-choice and/or pro same sex marriage may call themselves a Christian, but they are not following the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Christ is not on record anywhere opposing abortion. Or same sex marriage. In fact Christ isn't really on record on anything. Everything alleged to be the teachings of Jesus Christ is hearsay.

Exactly. The gospels were written long after Christ's death - probably by others than their supposed authors. At best the stories are promotion and public relations exercises. Even if the gospels were a reliable source they could only purport to record a minute fraction of all that Christ said in his life-time.

You don't speak for the Christ, now do you?

From time to time I do. I am not going to lie.

You should very much know that.

OK, I believe that you believe you at times speak for Christ, which makes you a bit :cuckoo:, but carry on.

Sorry Jake. Im not going to deny my calling simply because you think that people aren't called to speak for the Lord.

I believe the Bible. That God is unchanging. That He has called men to speak on His behalf in the past and does so no and in the future.

If you don't believe that people can speak for the Lord than stop pretending to do so yourself. You've pretty much undermined any religious argument you've ever made by denying any claim to have revelation from God & authority from Him.

For some reason, I dont think you are going to stop telling people they are wrong on matters of faith.

Pope Francis gets it

Why don't conservatives?

How about the Popes position on abortion and gay marriage? Does he 'get it' on those items to your satisfaction?

He strongly opposes both just in case you didn't know.

We are talking about the Catholic Church, a Church mired in its religious dogma for 500 years.

The pope still opposes abortion and gay marriage but has shown an openness and understanding of the social and physical issues. The Church opposes abortion and I understand their reason for it. Gay marriage is a relatively new phenomena, that may take a generation for the church to grasp.

This is probably among the stupidest things I have seen posted here. The Pope is not a politician. The Church isn't like DC, religious beliefs don't change because of shifting opinion polls or media criticism. Otherwise, it would cease to be a Church.

The Left doesn't seem to understand this.

Why conservatives just don't get Pope Francis' anti-poverty crusade - The Week

Since outlining his vision for the Catholic church in late November, Pope Francis has endured an amount of criticism from the American right wing commensurate only with the praise piled on by the remainder of global Christianity. For most, Francis' moving exhortation to spread the gospel and engage personally with Jesus was a welcome and invigorating encouragement. But for many right wing pundits in America, Francis' call to relieve global poverty through state intervention in markets was unconscionably troubling.

Since outlining his vision for the Catholic church in late November, Pope Francis has endured an amount of criticism from the American right wing commensurate only with the praise piled on by the remainder of global Christianity. For most, Francis' moving exhortation to spread the gospel and engage personally with Jesus was a welcome and invigorating encouragement. But for many right wing pundits in America, Francis' call to relieve global poverty through state intervention in markets was unconscionably troubling.

Francis' message likely raises American conservative hackles because the American right wing has invented such a convincing façade of affinity between fiscal conservatism and Christianity over the last few decades. Though free markets, profit motives, and unrestrained accumulation of wealth have no immediate relationship with Christianity, the cross and the coin are nonetheless powerful, paired symbols of the American right wing

Douthat, for example, argues that global capitalism has been responsible for an overall reduction in poverty. But Francis' exhortation never called for an elimination of capitalism, only that states, as creations of humankind, be structured so as to alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work. For Francis, all institutions created by humanity — and yes, distributions of wealth are created, not spontaneous — must be intentionally shaped to further just goals. Since Francis' notion of justice is informed purely by the teaching of Christ, just goals include establishing an equitable distribution of wealth that alleviates poverty and contributes to peace.

Damn, how about the Pope divest the church of the 100s of billions of it's assets and distribute the proceeds to the poor so he can develop a business plan to sell to these global states. Yep, sounds like a plan.

Any bets if he tried that he would be stricken by a mysterious illness and parish very quickly.

"If you don't believe that people can speak for the Lord than stop pretending to do so yourself. You've pretty much undermined any religious argument you've ever made by denying any claim to have revelation from God & authority from Him."

You make claims you can't support.

One, that you speak for God.

Two, telling you that you have no such authority is not saying I have such authority.

Three, my relationship with God is our business not yours.

I have no problem with you believing in the Smithite Restoration but have no problem telling you that your beliefs are immaterial.

54. In this context, some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting. To sustain a lifestyle which excludes others, or to sustain enthusiasm for that selfish ideal, a globalization of indifference has developed. Almost without being aware of it, we end up being incapable of feeling compassion at the outcry of the poor, weeping for other people’s pain, and feeling a need to help them, as though all this were someone else’s responsibility and not our own. The culture of prosperity deadens us; we are thrilled if the market offers us something new to purchase. In the meantime all those lives stunted for lack of opportunity seem a mere spectacle; they fail to move us.

Evangelii Gaudium, Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis, 2013

And they would rather us express a 'crude and naive trust' in the goodness of those wielding government power? No thank you. I can choose who I do economic business with (at least I used too prior to Obama), I cannot choose to bow down to what the government forces upon me, all supposedly for 'my own good'. Government power is far more dangerous to the population than economic power any day.

Francis' message likely raises American conservative hackles because the American right wing has invented such a convincing façade of affinity between fiscal conservatism and Christianity over the last few decades. Though free markets, profit motives, and unrestrained accumulation of wealth have no immediate relationship with Christianity, the cross and the coin are nonetheless powerful, paired symbols of the American right wing

Douthat, for example, argues that global capitalism has been responsible for an overall reduction in poverty. But Francis' exhortation never called for an elimination of capitalism, only that states, as creations of humankind, be structured so as to alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work. For Francis, all institutions created by humanity — and yes, distributions of wealth are created, not spontaneous — must be intentionally shaped to further just goals. Since Francis' notion of justice is informed purely by the teaching of Christ, just goals include establishing an equitable distribution of wealth that alleviates poverty and contributes to peace.

Damn, how about the Pope divest the church of the 100s of billions of it's assets and distribute the proceeds to the poor so he can develop a business plan to sell to these global states. Yep, sounds like a plan.

Any bets if he tried that he would be stricken by a mysterious illness and parish very quickly.

Exactly! When the Catholic church gives up all of its wealth to help the poor in the world, then maybe they can be respected for their opinion on poverty. I don't see them doing any redistribution that he is calling for others to do. Isn't the RCC the wealthiest organization on the planet?

Then you acknowledge that being anti-abortion or against same sex marriage are not Christian positions, IOW,

a person can be pro-choice and pro same sex marriage and be just as Christian as the next person?

A person that is pro-choice and/or pro same sex marriage may call themselves a Christian, but they are not following the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Show me exactly where Jesus said not to have abortions or to not be homosexual.

Show me exactly where He said it.

Don't think that you are authorized to speak for Him.

And remember that the Pope is not pro-abortion or pro-homosexual.

I have kept My Father's commandments" (John 15:10).
"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder', and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment. But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment" (Mat 5:21-22). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "You shall not murder" (Mat 19:18). "...murders...All these evil things come from within and defile a man" (Mk 7:21,23). "Do not murder" (Mk 10:19). "You know the commandments:...Do not murder" (Luke 18:20).

Abortion IS murder Jake, when you stop a life from developing into full term that's murder. It's using rational basic common sense. Unless you are looking a means to justify it in your own mind? How would you define the actual procedure of abortion?

Last edited:
Show me exactly where Jesus said not to have abortions or to not be homosexual.

Show me exactly where He said it.

Don't think that you are authorized to speak for Him.

And remember that the Pope is not pro-abortion or pro-homosexual.

I have kept My Father's commandments" (John 15:10).
"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder', and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment. But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment" (Mat 5:21-22). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "You shall not murder" (Mat 19:18). "...murders...All these evil things come from within and defile a man" (Mk 7:21,23). "Do not murder" (Mk 10:19). "You know the commandments:...Do not murder" (Luke 18:20).

Abortion IS murder Jake, when you stop a life from developing into full term that's murder. It's using rational basic common sense. Unless you are looking a means to justify it in your own mind? How would you define the actual procedure of abortion?

it is just a cluster of cells, don't you know?

"If you don't believe that people can speak for the Lord than stop pretending to do so yourself. You've pretty much undermined any religious argument you've ever made by denying any claim to have revelation from God & authority from Him."

You make claims you can't support.

One, that you speak for God.

Two, telling you that you have no such authority is not saying I have such authority.

Three, my relationship with God is our business not yours.

I have no problem with you believing in the Smithite Restoration but have no problem telling you that your beliefs are immaterial.

I have ordination records. But the beauty of recieving a calling from the Lord is He is the one who supports His servants. I have a responsibility to teach the Word of God. If you don't like that or believe that I have that responsibility, that's fine. You don't have to.

I never said you claim any such authority. Quite the opposite. You've been quite clear that you have no authority to speak for God. So since you and I both agree that you have no authority, why do you presume to speak for God about who He has called and whom He hasn't?

I've not commented on your relationship with God other than the statements you've made on your own. And I agree with you that you don't speak for God.

You explain to us how to have a functioning government if every individual has to personally consent to anything the government does.

You can't. That's why anarchy is the only moral solution.

However, one thing you can't credibly claim is that the federal government received the consent of the governed for anything it does.

Is it 'moral' for one man to claim a piece of property as his own if he doesn't have the consent of everyone around him, unanimously, to make that claim?

Why don't you ask those in Connecticut with that big case of immanent domain. Apparently, your notion of private property is only interpretated under the good graces of the government.

Is it 'moral' for one man to claim a piece of property as his own if he doesn't have the consent of everyone around him, unanimously, to make that claim?

I didn't realize others had to consent to allow me to own property.

If I have legitimately bought/claimed it, then what does it matter if the guy down the street objects?

Now if I have stolen it, that's a whole different story.

You explain to us how to have a functioning government if every individual has to personally consent to anything the government does.

You can't. That's why anarchy is the only moral solution.

However, one thing you can't credibly claim is that the federal government received the consent of the governed for anything it does.

yep. if it is his property you have no say in what's HIS

I guess you have never heard of the Catholic charities:

Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. Founded in 1943 by the U.S. bishops, the agency provides assistance to 130 million people in more than 90 countries and territories in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Eastern Europe. A member of Caritas Internationalis, the worldwide network of Catholic humanitarian agencies, CRS provides relief in emergency situations and helps people in the developing world break the cycle of poverty through community-based, sustainable development initiatives. Assistance is based solely on need, not race, creed or nationality. It is headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, while operating numerous field offices on five continents. CRS has approximately 5,000 employees around the world. The agency is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of 15 clergy (most of them bishops) and six lay people.

How many people would the US government require to administer aid to 130 million people on five continents? My guess is 300,000.

Last edited:
But Francis' exhortation never called for an elimination of capitalism, only that states, as creations of humankind, be structured so as to alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work..

Which is like fucking a virgin to save virginity.

Once the states interferes with Capitalism in order to "alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work" you no longer have Capitalism, the new economic system is called fascism.

But Francis' exhortation never called for an elimination of capitalism, only that states, as creations of humankind, be structured so as to alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work..

Once the states interferes with Capitalism in order to "alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work" you no longer have Capitalism, the new economic system is called fascism..

Social market democratic progressivism is not fascism. It alleviates poverty through regulation, allowing businesses to make good profits and workers to escape poverty.

But is your interest in libertarianism really only about capitalism?

Once the states interferes with Capitalism in order to "alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work" you no longer have Capitalism, the new economic system is called fascism..

Social market democratic progressivism is not fascism. It alleviates poverty through regulation, allowing businesses to make good profits and workers to escape poverty.

I hope that your new year's resolution is to become better informed.

If the state decides who is poor, regulates the market to conform to political correctness, then you have fascism - no ifs, buts or howevers.

Forum List

Back