Why Conservatives just don't get the pope

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Why conservatives just don't get Pope Francis' anti-poverty crusade - The Week

Since outlining his vision for the Catholic church in late November, Pope Francis has endured an amount of criticism from the American right wing commensurate only with the praise piled on by the remainder of global Christianity. For most, Francis' moving exhortation to spread the gospel and engage personally with Jesus was a welcome and invigorating encouragement. But for many right wing pundits in America, Francis' call to relieve global poverty through state intervention in markets was unconscionably troubling.

Since outlining his vision for the Catholic church in late November, Pope Francis has endured an amount of criticism from the American right wing commensurate only with the praise piled on by the remainder of global Christianity. For most, Francis' moving exhortation to spread the gospel and engage personally with Jesus was a welcome and invigorating encouragement. But for many right wing pundits in America, Francis' call to relieve global poverty through state intervention in markets was unconscionably troubling.

Francis' message likely raises American conservative hackles because the American right wing has invented such a convincing façade of affinity between fiscal conservatism and Christianity over the last few decades. Though free markets, profit motives, and unrestrained accumulation of wealth have no immediate relationship with Christianity, the cross and the coin are nonetheless powerful, paired symbols of the American right wing

Douthat, for example, argues that global capitalism has been responsible for an overall reduction in poverty. But Francis' exhortation never called for an elimination of capitalism, only that states, as creations of humankind, be structured so as to alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work. For Francis, all institutions created by humanity — and yes, distributions of wealth are created, not spontaneous — must be intentionally shaped to further just goals. Since Francis' notion of justice is informed purely by the teaching of Christ, just goals include establishing an equitable distribution of wealth that alleviates poverty and contributes to peace.

Last edited:
They don't get the views of Pope Francis, because he's not as greedy as Pope Benedict.

Benedict blessed Lamborghinis, and wore Prada shoes.

Francis washed the feet of juvenile delinquents and is very frugal.

Me personally? I don't have much respect for Catholics or their dogma, but I do have a great deal of respect for Pope Francis. He's one of the few Christians trying to stay true to what Jesus taught.

Sigh, sometimes you guys confound me. You spend a lot of time trashing religion, or Christians in particlar but then extol a religious figure because he purportedly conforms with your political viewpoints. Forgive me for saying so, but that's just sad.

I know you keep wanting to pretend the Pope is a hard core leftist who wants governments to provide to the poor. I don't know why it's so difficult for you guys to comprehend giving to the poor without being compelled to by a government.

I also don't know why you think that conservatives, many of whom aren't catholic and some of whom aren't even Christian care about what the Pope says.

The Free Market does decrease poverty for all people. We have some of the wealthiest poor in the history of the world and you complain about the system that created it.

Sigh, sometimes you guys confound me. You spend a lot of time trashing religion, or Christians in particlar but then extol a religious figure because he purportedly conforms with your political viewpoints. Forgive me for saying so, but that's just sad.

Pope Francis gets it

Why don't conservatives?

Pope Francis gets it

Why don't conservatives?

How about the Popes position on abortion and gay marriage? Does he 'get it' on those items to your satisfaction?

He strongly opposes both just in case you didn't know.

Pope Francis gets it

Why don't conservatives?

How about the Popes position on abortion and gay marriage? Does he 'get it' on those items to your satisfaction?

He strongly opposes both just in case you didn't know.

We are talking about the Catholic Church, a Church mired in its religious dogma for 500 years.

The pope still opposes abortion and gay marriage but has shown an openness and understanding of the social and physical issues. The Church opposes abortion and I understand their reason for it. Gay marriage is a relatively new phenomena, that may take a generation for the church to grasp.

Pope Francis gets it

Why don't conservatives?

I was unaware Pope Francis had to conform to any political view... did it ever occur to you that he does the things because he is driven by something bigger than politics? He gets it, why don't you?

Weren't you ranting just yesterday about how people should follow their own principles instead of just toeing some party line?

What's wrong with giving the Pope credit where someone believes credit is due? What's wrong with disagreeing with the Pope on abortion (although I'm not aware that the Pope's official position is that abortion should be criminalized)

while agreeing with him on his admonishments against the greedy, and praising him for his attitude toward the poor and unfortunate?

Pope Francis gets it

Why don't conservatives?

I was unaware Pope Francis had to conform to any political view... did it ever occur to you that he does the things because he is driven by something bigger than politics? He gets it, why don't you?

I fully understand that

Why do conservatives attack him for doing what a religious man is supposed to do?

It's hilarious to see all these atheists or christian haters talking up the Pope because he advocates theft. They call this "preaching the Gospel".

LOLberals aren't very smart, and the ones who are, are manipulative, lying, cheating scumbags.

Francis' message likely raises American conservative hackles because the American right wing has invented such a convincing façade of affinity between fiscal conservatism and Christianity over the last few decades. Though free markets, profit motives, and unrestrained accumulation of wealth have no immediate relationship with Christianity, the cross and the coin are nonetheless powerful, paired symbols of the American right wing

Douthat, for example, argues that global capitalism has been responsible for an overall reduction in poverty. But Francis' exhortation never called for an elimination of capitalism, only that states, as creations of humankind, be structured so as to alleviate the poverty that arises after capitalism has done its work. For Francis, all institutions created by humanity — and yes, distributions of wealth are created, not spontaneous — must be intentionally shaped to further just goals. Since Francis' notion of justice is informed purely by the teaching of Christ, just goals include establishing an equitable distribution of wealth that alleviates poverty and contributes to peace.

What is there to get? He's a fucking commie.

End of story.

Or extremely ignorant of economics and liberty. it's also quite possible that LOLberals are cherry picking the Pope's words in order to create the chasm they are trying to expound on here. LOLberals are like that.They lie, cheat, steal and manipulate out of principle. It's all they have, really.

Or extremely ignorant of economics and liberty. it's also quite possible that LOLberals are cherry picking the Pope's words in order to create the chasm they are trying to expound on here. LOLberals are like that.They lie, cheat, steal and manipulate out of principle. It's all they have, really.

That's very true. For instance, the Pope issues a call for Catholics and LOLiberals transform that into marching orders for all conservatives.

What is there to get? He's a fucking commie.

End of story.

Way to go Fingerboy

Show us all how conservatives really feel

That's very true. For instance, the Pope issues a call for Catholics and LOLiberals transform that into marching orders for all conservatives.

It is Conservatives attacking him for that call for Catholics

They take it personally

Forum List

Back