Why are religions which forbid pleasure mroe popular than those which allow it?

All goes to how human beings, being social animals, prefer affiliating themselves with larger social groupings. As with larger established religions being more attractive than smaller ones even if the larger ones are more repressive. That they're larger makes it seem like numbers equals legitimacy.

Thought just occured, why are repressive anti-humanist religions so wildly popular when permissive ones aren't despite those sometimes being much older?

Christianity and Islam make up the bulk of human religion, yet both represent the most repressive religious systems. Whereas paganism, Wicca, and other nature-based faiths never spread globally like the repressive ones. Are we naturally masochistic we like being told not to do things or else, whereas too much freedom isn't anything we desire?

Thought occured watching "Marvel: Avengers" where Loki orders the Germans down on their knees monlogueing about how we prefer subjugation. Was he right? We voluntarily submit to repressive religions with lots of rules rather than pursue more humanistic systems.

For the ones pulling the strings? Social control.

For the sheep? Most humans prefer to be followers when it comes to religion.

Thought just occured, why are repressive anti-humanist religions so wildly popular when permissive ones aren't despite those sometimes being much older?

Christianity and Islam make up the bulk of human religion, yet both represent the most repressive religious systems. Whereas paganism, Wicca, and other nature-based faiths never spread globally like the repressive ones. Are we naturally masochistic we like being told not to do things or else, whereas too much freedom isn't anything we desire?

Thought occured watching "Marvel: Avengers" where Loki orders the Germans down on their knees monlogueing about how we prefer subjugation. Was he right? We voluntarily submit to repressive religions with lots of rules rather than pursue more humanistic systems.

Do you do well in the world when you become a drunkard ,druggie, or thief?
Nature based faiths required human sacrifices.

I didn't read this post before but now that I have --- that's just bizarre. And wrong on every level.
Where do you come up with an idea like that?

:cuckoo:

So does that mean you think most people can do well while they are drunk and on drugs?

Trying to out-bizarre the first post? :cuckoo:

I had more the second sentence in mind than the first, although neither of them make sense. There is no religion that prescribes drinking, drugging and/or thieving. I'm still wondering how the hell you came up with that.

Forum List

Back