Why are Leftists mostly atheists?

Associating all faiths and all personal beliefs with immoral people
Not what I stated or even implied. My counterpoint was no less "fringe" than was yours, and was merely used to demonstrate a criticism of ideas, not of people.

I don't see that
You don't? you can't, despite your best effort, understand how a progressive/liberal/whatever would be turned away from religion by its bigotry and misplaced authoritarianism held by creepy men in funny clothes and vain, vengeful, evil sky wizards?

Seems all too clear to me.

Yea ... I get it ... enjoy the hate.

f-BRI-dalai-a-20170912-870x623.jpg

Anjali mudra

I don't see that
You don't? you can't, despite your best effort, understand how a progressive/liberal/whatever would be turned away from religion by its bigotry and misplaced authoritarianism held by creepy men in funny clothes and vain, vengeful, evil sky wizards?

Anjali mudra
Actually, my point was that there are progressives who eschew religion because of hate in religion. By what whiny twist of unlogic do you place hate at my feet?

I don't see that

Anjali mudra
Actually, my point was that there are progressives who eschew religion because of hate in religion. By what whiny twist of unlogic do you place hate at my feet?

That fact that you don't get the irony of your position is sadder than the position itself.

American Creation: Thomas Paine's Common Sense, as heard by the American Colonists

I was reading Thomas Paines "Common Sense", when it all hit me as to why Leftists are mostly atheists.

Thomas discusses the scripture 1 Samuel 8 in his pamphlet Common Sense that was instrumental in gaining support for the American Revolution. Why? Because Thomas was telling people that rejecting a human king, like the Kind of England, had a Biblical basis. The chapter has to do with the people of Israel demanding a king. Up until that time, the Hebrew nation was only held together via judges that maintained peace in society. However, some of these judges became corrupt and the people tired of enemies with kings and armies constantly at their heels, so they wanted a king of their own to fight them off.

Samuel is upset by their request as he goes before God and discusses the situation with him. God tells him that the people are rejecting him as their king, and tells Samuel to give them a warning of what will happen to them if a sinful man becomes their king by giving them example after example of how they will be abused and mistreated. However, the people will not be swayed and demand their king, so God gives them Saul their first king.

From then on, the Hebrew nation spirals downward into oblivion until the Hebrew people become swallowed up by the Gentile nations and eventually into the ovens of Europe because they did not heed the warnings.

At our core we all demand a king, well, at least most of us. We all have an innate need to look to a higher power for help in a world that is dark and unjust with the knowledge that we can't do it alone.

So those of faith who choose God as their king and atheists choose a human king, or the state.

It's just that simple.

Because the state is their "god"......

American Creation: Thomas Paine's Common Sense, as heard by the American Colonists

I was reading Thomas Paines "Common Sense", when it all hit me as to why Leftists are mostly atheists.

Thomas discusses the scripture 1 Samuel 8 in his pamphlet Common Sense that was instrumental in gaining support for the American Revolution. Why? Because Thomas was telling people that rejecting a human king, like the Kind of England, had a Biblical basis. The chapter has to do with the people of Israel demanding a king. Up until that time, the Hebrew nation was only held together via judges that maintained peace in society. However, some of these judges became corrupt and the people tired of enemies with kings and armies constantly at their heels, so they wanted a king of their own to fight them off.

Samuel is upset by their request as he goes before God and discusses the situation with him. God tells him that the people are rejecting him as their king, and tells Samuel to give them a warning of what will happen to them if a sinful man becomes their king by giving them example after example of how they will be abused and mistreated. However, the people will not be swayed and demand their king, so God gives them Saul their first king.

From then on, the Hebrew nation spirals downward into oblivion until the Hebrew people become swallowed up by the Gentile nations and eventually into the ovens of Europe because they did not heed the warnings.

At our core we all demand a king, well, at least most of us. We all have an innate need to look to a higher power for help in a world that is dark and unjust with the knowledge that we can't do it alone.

So those of faith who choose God as their king and atheists choose a human king, or the state.

It's just that simple.

I am the only LEFTY and atheist in my concentric LEFTY circles. So your assumption is WRONG. But thanks for playing.

I don't see that

Anjali mudra

That fact that you don't get the irony of your position is sadder than the position itself.
My position was to describe the perceptions of others, not of myself. The irony of your attacks is that you must think ideas have feelings. And it seems awfully odd that you are doing so much work to avoid directly addressing my point.

But since I am so dumb, maybe you can explain my position to me.

And before you get all worked up again, I have stated precisely the reasons many progressive exMuslims have said they have gone apostate. Go ahead, accuse them of "hate". That ought to be special.

I've been instructed not to.

Pink%2BPig%2Bin%2BPearls.jpg
...by your fear of falling on your face again.

What is hateful about pointing out a very real phenomenon that speaks DIRECTLY to the thread title? maybe this topic is too much for your delicate constitution, sir.

Where is the support for the idea that a "leftist," however "leftist" is defined, is any more inclined to be an "atheist" than any other person"? Moreover, what do religious views have anything to do with politics? One can be an atheist or an agnostic if one wishes. Belief in a Supreme Being and having certain political views is a phony "apples and oranges" comparison.

Where is the support for the idea that a "leftist," however "leftist" is defined, is any more inclined to be "atheists" than any other person"
Yeah, there probably isn't any, though I suspect it to be true. Unfortunately, people lie about this stuff, when polled.

Where is the support for the idea that a "leftist," however "leftist" is defined, is any more inclined to be "atheists" than any other person"
Yeah, there probably isn't any, though I suspect it to be true. Unfortunately, people lie about this stuff, when polled.

There is no correlation between religious views and political views. This is why it is so ridiculous to try and blend the two together.

Leftists are mostly atheists...because they feel guilty ....

They are afraid of a Higher Power.....Eternal Power....

That will say and show to them how it its

hide hide hide you nobodies....your time has come

There is no correlation between religious views and political views.
Okay, but a more appropriate thing to look at would be views on atheism against political views. And while the two may not be blended, it is not specious to draw a connection betwen progressivisim and degree of secularity, given the archaic nature of divined, religious "wisdom".

There is no correlation between religious views and political views.
Okay, but a more appropriate thing to look at would be views on atheism against political views. And while the two may not be blended, it is not specious to draw a connection betwen progressivisim and degree of secularity, given the archaic nature of divined, religious "wisdom".
What is "secularity," as opposed to embracing the idea that many religious perspectives exist in this nation and in the world? There is an open bias against atheists and agnostics in this nation, as well as an open bias against religious believers who don't kow-tow to a specific form of belief. We are supposed to have "religious freedom" in this country.

What is "secularity," as opposed to embracing the idea that many religious perspectives exist in this nation and in the world?
The two are not in opposition and don't really have anything to do one another.

There is bias against just about anything you could name.

I am all for religious freedom. You are free to believe anything you like, as far as I am concerned.

It's just that simple.
Education tends to make doGs less relevant. You can explain things with logic and intelligence rather than faith.

Sounds like you don’t understand either.

Forum List

Back