Whoops For Hypocrisy of Al Gore

I have energy saving flourescent lightbulbs in every single damned fixture in my house...I car pool to work, and when I drive, it is an extremely miserly VW jetta .... I set the thermostat to 57 degrees after 9PM and it is 62 before that. My 1812 federal home is not air conditioned and I have paid to have it super insulated.... I recycle EVERYTHING... I do my part - and admittedly, in the beginning, at the forceful urging of my extremely environmentally aware wife - but I do it.... and what Al Gore's electric bill is is his damned business and none of mine and has NO impact on whether I think that we are fouling our nest and need to do something about it.

Maineman, I have to agree with you in certain aspects and respect your thoughts and actions also. I don't recycle because I think it isn't necessary, I don't protect the environment, same reason, and I think spotted owls and whales should be on a menu until they are all gone. If you want to do those things and protect the environment, so be it. But gore getting on the grandstand and telling me to do something and him acting like a king of some country and deserving special treatment and doing the opposite don't cut the mustard with me. It would be like you telling me to drive 50 mph, but you were going to drive 80 mph. And in my opinion, the electric company didn't release the records. There are more ways than one to get information like that. Maybe the garbage man got it from one of his bills? Maybe he disclosed it his declaration of assets?

I'm with maine on this one. Yea, he's a hypocrite, but aren't we all? Look at the divorce rate of Fundamentalist Christians, look at animal rights activists on chemo, look at the Ted Haggard, look at Dr. Phil (fat man writing a diet book? please), at the end of the day we're all fuck ups. That doesn't mean that those habits aren't wrong. If the message is true then it should be headed.

Plus, this news is so 6 months ago. It used to be cool, but now it's just monotonous. Time to move on.

Yes. A divorced fundamentalist Christian is a hypocrite, as is Ted Haggard and Dr. Phil. I'm not sure about the animal rights activist on chemo, though - that'd have even more ethical dimsensions to it. The difference is that none of these aforementioned just won an Oscar.

Part of the problem is that this is old news. From almost three months ago:

Graciously, Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

For someone who says the sky is falling, he does very little. He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm

He increased his consumption after "Truth". His latest response:

Gore Responds To Drudge’s Latest Hysterics
The right-wing is angry that Al Gore has won so much public attention and goodwill for his work on global warming. Determined to smear his efforts, Drudge writes in a screaming headline:

Responding to Drudge’s attack, Vice President Gore’s office told ThinkProgress:

1) Gore’s family has taken numerous steps to reduce the carbon footprint of their private residence, including signing up for 100 percent green power through Green Power Switch, installing solar panels, and using compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy saving technology.

2) Gore has had a consistent position of purchasing carbon offsets to offset the family’s carbon footprint — a concept the right-wing fails to understand. Gore’s office explains:

What Mr. Gore has asked is that every family calculate their carbon footprint and try to reduce it as much as possible. Once they have done so, he then advocates that they purchase offsets, as the Gore’s do, to bring their footprint down to zero.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/02/26/gore-responds-to-drudge

is just more of an attack on his critics and a promise to do better. Carbon offsets are just a shell game, and:

And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Paramount Classics practices what Gore preaches, so Gore doesn't have to.

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average
February 26, 2007
http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367

:muahaha:

Don't forget about John Edwards modest 30,000 sq ft home he is building in North Carolina

Libs live to lecture us how to live, but they exempt themselfs from the rules they lay down to the guillible mases that believe them

But Al Gore has his indulgences.... i mean Carbon offsets bought and paid for. He can destroy the environment all he wants because He can afford it.

Don't forget about John Edwards modest 30,000 sq ft home he is building in North Carolina

Libs live to lecture us how to live, but they exempt themselfs from the rules they lay down to the guillible mases that believe them

Sometimes i think you and me need to be lectured how you and i should try to reduce global warming even in a local perspective.

The US has record cold and snow this winter. 25 years ago the kooks were bellowing about global cooling

Which is it?

Global warming is a myth created by the left to destroy capitalism

do you realize that "global warming" does not mean the end to cold temperatures, but a change in weather patterns? In fact, global warming might very well cause the next ice age by stopping the tropical currents that bring warm moist air to the northern latitudes.

The US has record cold and snow this winter. 25 years ago the kooks were bellowing about global cooling

Which is it?

Global warming is a myth created by the left to destroy capitalism
A myth!!!
Here we had the warmest winter ever in my lifetime 9 Celsius in middle January and green grass and no snow, in a time the snow usually be on the ground. And Capitalism can benefit even with pollution restrictions.

A myth here we had the warmest winter ever in my lifetime 9 Celsius in middle January and green grass and no snow, in a time the snow usually be on the ground. And Capitalism can benefit even with pollution restrictions.

13 dead from snow and record-setting cold; schools closed, flights delayed
Updated 2/8/2007 11:19 AM ET

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The blowing snow and intense cold were blamed for two more deaths on Wednesday — a total of 13 nationwide since the cold settled in — and kept schools closed for a second and in some cases a third day across much of Ohio and West Virginia.
The arctic weather disrupted flights from Chicago to the Northeast on Tuesday, leaving some travelers to camp out in airports overnight. Slick roads led to huge chain-reaction traffic accidents, and schools have been closed in places from Minnesota to upstate New York.

Yes, this global warming is a bitch

13 dead from snow and record-setting cold; schools closed, flights delayed
Updated 2/8/2007 11:19 AM ET

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The blowing snow and intense cold were blamed for two more deaths on Wednesday — a total of 13 nationwide since the cold settled in — and kept schools closed for a second and in some cases a third day across much of Ohio and West Virginia.
The arctic weather disrupted flights from Chicago to the Northeast on Tuesday, leaving some travelers to camp out in airports overnight. Slick roads led to huge chain-reaction traffic accidents, and schools have been closed in places from Minnesota to upstate New York.

Yes, this global warming is a bitch
And i also think you have missunderstood the term global warming.
The influence of green house gases cause the climate and weather to go nuts not only by unusual warm weather but also in unusual cold extreme weather in other places.

And i also think you have missunderstood the term global warming.
The influence of green house gases cause the climate and weather to go nuts not only by unusual warm weather but also in unusual cold extreme weather in other places.

Only in Lonny Liberalville will global warming cause the next Ice Age

Forum List

Back