Who REALLY wanted to shut down the government?

Trump came out said the GOP should shut it down.
Trump doesn't control Congress. The fact is that if the Government is shut down...the GOP will get the blame because the Democrats have the Main Stream Media in their back pockets and that will be the narrative that's put out there. What Bowman did simply illustrates that the Democrats KNOW this and desperately want it to happen! They'd rather have that as the topic of discussion than how badly their policies are hurting the country!

Trump doesn't control Congress. The fact is that if the Government is shut down...the GOP will get the blame because the Democrats have the Main Stream Media in their back pockets and that will be the narrative that's put out there. What Bowman did simply illustrates that the Democrats KNOW this and desperately want it to happen! They'd rather have that as the topic of discussion than how badly their policies are hurting the country!

The GOP does what Trump wants.

The GOP is the majority in the House, if they can't even elect a speaker, let alone pass a spending bill, how do Democrats get the blame?

The GOP is the majority in the House, if they can't even elect a speaker, let alone pass a spending bill, how do Democrats get the blame?
1. The GOP doesn't do what Trump wants.
2. There is no blame. Just a difference of opinion on spending. Do we cut spending or keep borrowing?

1. The GOP doesn't do what Trump wants.
2. There is no blame. Just a difference of opinion on spending. Do we cut spending or keep borrowing?

The point of the OP is attempting to lay blame.

To your point, I agree we need to cut spending. Congress should work out a compromise. Both sides need to give up something. If you look at just about any graph of US spending, it would be impossible to tell which party was in charge during what time in the last 60 years. It has gone up steadily under both sides.

There is no such thing as a gov shutdown, ITS CALLED A VACATION. The workers get full pay and would like to be off for a year.

Critical areas like the military always get funded

The point of the OP is attempting to lay blame.

To your point, I agree we need to cut spending. Congress should work out a compromise. Both sides need to give up something. If you look at just about any graph of US spending, it would be impossible to tell which party was in charge during what time in the last 60 years. It has gone up steadily under both sides.
Exactly right.
The dems need to agree to spending cuts, and the Republicans need to accept new taxes.

That's bullshit. The GOP has a razor thin "majority" in the House which is the reason they can't elect a speaker yet you expect them to pass bills? The Democrats get the blame because they've learned that shutting down the government and blaming it on Republicans is good for them politically. Why do you think Bowman pulled that fire alarm? He knew that McCarthy had miraculously gotten the votes to fund the government and didn't want it to happen. You couldn't provide a more glaring example of which party is playing games with shutdowns!

Exactly right.
The dems need to agree to spending cuts, and the Republicans need to accept new taxes.
I think we can keep taxes where they are and cut spending across board by 5%. Leave the decisions where to cut up to managers/admirals and generals. I bet they could zero in on the most wasteful spending pretty quickly.

That's bullshit. The GOP has a razor thin "majority" in the House which is the reason they can't elect a speaker yet you expect them to pass bills? The Democrats get the blame because they've learned that shutting down the government and blaming it on Republicans is good for them politically. Why do you think Bowman pulled that fire alarm? He knew that McCarthy had miraculously gotten the votes to fund the government and didn't want it to happen. You couldn't provide a more glaring example of which party is playing games with shutdowns!

Bowman is an idiot. That never was going to shut down the entire government. There have been small majorities in the house before and this nonsense never happened.

Blaming dems for this makes no sense.

Bowman is an idiot. That never was going to shut down the entire government. There have been small majorities in the house before and this nonsense never happened.

Blaming dems for this makes no sense.
Bowman was stalling. Explain why. He's an idiot because he did it on camera. The REASON he did it is obvious!

I think we can keep taxes where they are and cut spending across board by 5%. Leave the decisions where to cut up to managers/admirals and generals. I bet they could zero in on the most wasteful spending pretty quickly.
We don't have a revenue problem. We're taking in plenty of money. We have a spending problem and it's about to get dramatically worse because of policies of this Administration. The problem we're about to have is that we have an entitlement society and we've had an open border policy for the past two years. You can have one or the other...you can't have both. You liberals just let in millions of illegals. Who's paying for that? Who's providing housing for them? Food? Medical care? Just take medical care as an example. If you show up at a US hospital with a medical issue they have to treat you whether you have insurance or money. Go to any ER right now and look around you. They are absolutely overwhelmed with people that don't have insurance and don't have money to pay for treatment. So who do you think is going to foot the bill for all of that? It's the American taxpayer and they don't have a clue what that's going to cost.

Even if they just froze spending where it is for a few years, the deficit would come down in a hurry.

Here is the 2021 Federal Budget. The "mandatory spending" can't be cut. I can't find the 2022, 2023, or 2024 Budget totals like these. I do know that interest on the Debt is exploding toward $2T. Defense typically can't be cut. As McCarthy said, only about 11% of the Budget can be cut, not enough to stop borrowing.
We need more revenue. Do the math.

2021 Federal Budget
Outlays $4.88T
Receipts $3.86T
Deficit $1.02T

Discretionary Spending
Defense $753b
Non-defense $733b
Total $1.49T

Mandatory Spending
Social Security $1,115b
Medicare 746b
Medicaid 452b
Other 660b
Interest on Debt 379b (exploding up toward $2T)
Total $3.39T

We don't have a revenue problem. We're taking in plenty of money. We have a spending problem and it's about to get dramatically worse because of policies of this Administration. The problem we're about to have is that we have an entitlement society and we've had an open border policy for the past two years. You can have one or the other...you can't have both. You liberals just let in millions of illegals. Who's paying for that? Who's providing housing for them? Food? Medical care? Just take medical care as an example. If you show up at a US hospital with a medical issue they have to treat you whether you have insurance or money. Go to any ER right now and look around you. They are absolutely overwhelmed with people that don't have insurance and don't have money to pay for treatment. So who do you think is going to foot the bill for all of that? It's the American taxpayer and they don't have a clue what that's going to cost.

The borders are not 'open'. Hospitals for the most part are private for profit companies in this country. They absorb the cost of indigent care. Those are terrible example of wasteful govt. spending.

Here is the 2021 Federal Budget. The "mandatory spending" can't be cut. I can't find the 2022, 2023, or 2024 Budget totals like these. I do know that interest on the Debt is exploding toward $2T. Defense typically can't be cut. As McCarthy said, only about 11% of the Budget can be cut, not enough to stop borrowing.
We need more revenue. Do the math.

2021 Federal Budget
Outlays $4.88T
Receipts $3.86T
Deficit $1.02T

Discretionary Spending
Defense $753b
Non-defense $733b
Total $1.49T

Mandatory Spending
Social Security $1,115b
Medicare 746b
Medicaid 452b
Other 660b
Interest on Debt 379b (exploding up toward $2T)
Total $3.39T

Good point.

Why not change the rules so the others may be cut as well?

Good point.
Why not change the rules so the others may be cut as well?
We paid for SS & Medicare, they can't be cut.
If you cut Welfare and Medicaid there is no "social safety net"

Here is how I would start paying down the Debt:

1. Add a 4% Federal Sales Tax on all sales (gains ~400b/yr)
2. Add a 0.1%? financial transaction tax on ALL financial buy/sell transactions (stocks, bonds, derivatives, bitcoin, etc.) (gains 777b/yr, see link below)
3. Add a Remittance Tax on all money sent out of the US (gains ~$150b/yr, see link below)
4. Remove the cap on SS tax, and raise the ages from 62/67 to 63/68 (saves SS)
5. Raise the tax and co-pay for Medicare (fix Medicare some way)
6. Add a co-pay for Medicaid (no free stuff)
7. So if all of the above taxes were implemented, the $1T Budget Deficit would become a $500b surplus to start paying down the $32T Debt

We paid for SS & Medicare, they can't be cut.
If you cut Welfare and Medicaid there is no "social safety net"

Here is how I would start paying down the Debt:

1. Add a 4% Federal Sales Tax on all sales (gains ~400b/yr)
2. Add a 0.1%? financial transaction tax on ALL financial buy/sell transactions (stocks, bonds, derivatives, bitcoin, etc.) (gains 777b/yr, see link below)
3. Add a Remittance Tax on all money sent out of the US (gains ~$150b/yr, see link below)
4. Remove the cap on SS tax, and raise the ages from 62/67 to 63/68 (saves SS)
5. Raise the tax and co-pay for Medicare (fix Medicare some way)
6. Add a co-pay for Medicaid (no free stuff)
7. So if all of the above taxes were implemented, the $1T Budget Deficit would become a $500b surplus to start paying down the $32T Debt

I could work with that.

The borders are not 'open'. Hospitals for the most part are private for profit companies in this country. They absorb the cost of indigent care. Those are terrible example of wasteful govt. spending.
The border is open. Anyone claiming that it isn't is lying to themselves.
How exactly is it that you think hospitals "absorb" the cost on indigent care? They pass that cost along to the American people who DO have health insurance. They either do that or they close.

Forum List

Back