Who knows and likes the Black Forest Cherry Cake?

What the hell is it, and where is it sold? Sounds like something I might be interested in checking out.
here you go ABS

What the hell is it, and where is it sold? Sounds like something I might be interested in checking out.
Here is some info:

Black Forest gâteau (German: Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, pronounced [ˈʃvaʁt͡svɛldɐ ˈkɪʁʃˌtɔʁtə] (listen) literally "Black Forest Cherry-torte"), also called Black Forest cake (American English) is a chocolate and cream cake with a rich cherry filling based on a German dessert.

Typically, Black Forest gateau consists of several layers of chocolate sponge cake sandwiched with whipped cream and cherries. It is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings. In some European traditions, sour cherries are used both between the layers and for decorating the top.[2] Traditionally the alcoholic kirschwasser, a clear spirit made from sour cherries, is added to the cake.[3] Other spirits are sometimes used, such as rum, which is common in Austrian recipes. German law mandates that any dessert labeled Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte must have kirschwasser.[4]

History[edit]​

The dessert is not directly named after the Black Forest mountain range in southwestern Germany.

According to one school of thought, the name is derived from the specialty liquor of that region, known as Schwarzwälder Kirsch(wasser), which is distilled from tart cherries. This is the ingredient that gives the dessert its distinctive cherry pit flavor and alcoholic content flavor.

Some sources claim that the name of the cake is inspired by the traditional costume of the women of the Black Forest region, with a characteristic hat with big, red pom-poms on top, called Bollenhut.

It's alright, but the problem for me with black forest cakes is I have never had one where the cake didn't have that sort of stale freezer burnt texture/taste. I am not sure why. It is like the opposite of red velvet cake---never had one of them where the cake wasn't too moist/mushy.

about the name: Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte

The name does not mean that this cake comes from the Schwarzwald = Black Forest
It means that it has Schwarzwälder Kirsch in it = cherry brandy

Without this cherry brandy this cake does not deserve its name.

Yes, the Kirschwasser is the important part!
The cake got its name from the cherry brandy, not from the cherries. :)

Hey same cake we were just talking about!
Kirschtorte is one of the best cakes on the planet.
Known in English as "Black Forest" cake. And not well known outside of the midwest/southeast where German immigrants flocked to.
If made well - it is outstanding. Should NEVER be made with shitty canned whipped cream which it so often is. When it is made with crème frosting it is amazing. You just shut your eyes to mask out all sensory input but taste.

Hey same cake we were just talking about!
Kirschtorte is one of the best cakes on the planet.
Known in English as "Black Forest" cake. And not well known outside of the midwest/southeast where German immigrants flocked to.
If made well - it is outstanding. Should NEVER be made with shitty canned whipped cream which it so often is. When it is made with crème frosting it is amazing. You just shut your eyes to mask out all sensory input but taste.
i also enjoy it!

Try chocolate cake with raspberry filling and top coating with chocolate jimmies and shavings on top or use jimmies on the blackforrest cake

Forum List

Back