Who here have read the works of C.S. Lewis?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I read C.S. Lewis books almost exclusively in a stage of my life when I was deciding whether to accept or reject my Catholic faith.

C.S. Lewis' book "Mere Christianity" made an excellent case that Christianity is true, and worthy of belief.

C.S. Lewis was a member of the Anglican Church, so he could not get me all the way to Catholicism.

It is well know that J.R.R. Tolkien, a devout Catholic, had a big influence on converting Lewis from atheist to Christian.

Tolkien was annoyed that Lewis would not take the final step and convert to Catholicism.

It is also well known that Lewis married a divorced woman, which at the time was a violation of the Anglican faith.

But he did it anyway, and left it for God to judge him.

C.S. Lewis also wrote the Chronicles of Narnia, which is a Christian story disguised as a fairy tale.

The killing of Aslan was probably the most horrible thing I've ever seen in a children's book.

I read C.S. Lewis books almost exclusively in a stage of my life when I was deciding whether to accept or reject my Catholic faith.

C.S. Lewis' book "Mere Christianity" made an excellent case that Christianity is true, and worthy of belief.

C.S. Lewis was a member of the Anglican Church, so he could not get me all the way to Catholicism.

It is well know that J.R.R. Tolkien, a devout Catholic, had a big influence on converting Lewis from atheist to Christian.

Tolkien was annoyed that Lewis would not take the final step and convert to Catholicism.

It is also well known that Lewis married a divorced woman, which at the time was a violation of the Anglican faith.

C.S. Lewis also wrote the Chronicles of Narnia, which is a Christian story disguised as a fairy tale.

The killing of Aslan was probably the most horrible thing I've ever seen in a children's book.

Who hasn't?

C.S. Lewis is probably the most influential Christian author in changing my life. I owe him a debt of gratitude.

Who hasn't?
You would be surprised at how ignorant today's kids are. They no longer require them to read anything in school. Once they teach them to read, that's it. That don't assign them to read ANY books. My kid gets less reading done during the school year than he does on summer break. He doesn't have time to read during the school year, they want to keep them busy so they don't learn anything. I SHIT YOU NOT.

C.S. Lewis is brilliant, imo. Few can do it better. I have not read much unfortunately, but the Screwtape Letters is as clever as it gets. Makes every Christian look like a dope because of the wiles of the devil. The Great Divorce is also excellent. The last chapters is the best attempt to try to explain why there may have to be a hell, without getting too theological about it.

The only other book I read was Mere Christianity, but so long ago. Lewis also believed in a purgatory even though he could not get himself to convert as you note.

Purgatory is based on Maccabees, where people are urged to pray for the dead.

Protestants took Maccabees out of the Bible, so they are correct in saying THEIR EDITED BIBLE has no basis for purgatory.

Who hasn't?
You would be surprised at how ignorant today's kids are. They no longer require them to read anything in school. Once they teach them to read, that's it. That don't assign them to read ANY books. My kid gets less reading done during the school year than he does on summer break. He doesn't have time to read during the school year, they want to keep them busy so they don't learn anything. I SHIT YOU NOT.

I think we had book reports on the classics every week or two, and we did not read in class, just discuss what we read for homework.

I think I read close to 500 classics before I graduated. I don't remember all of the they ranged from ancient greek to twain, baum and wells

My kids barely read one book a month in school. They had books at home for them to read and access to the library.

Purgatory is based on Maccabees, where people are urged to pray for the dead.

Protestants took Maccabees out of the Bible, so they are correct in saying THEIR EDITED BIBLE has no basis for purgatory.

They have a lot of other verses to struggle with in their Bible besides Maccabees.

And why fight it? Purgatory is God's greatest mercy.

Who hasn't?
My kid has to read several books in a school year..I even had to replace one he lost...

If you like his work you really should read The Screwtape Letters

and for the truly lazy ........................

Watch The Screwtape Letters 2012 Free Online

I did. I was most interested in the notion that Satan was not all interested in Wormwood's glee that World War II was causing massive death and destruction. Satan pointed out that his job was to harvest souls, not lives.

In the end Wormwood fails, because the man he was assigned to died in a bomb attack as a good Christian.

A soul that goes to heaven is major loss to Satan, and Wormwood is punished for his failure in some horrible way.

Read them all. And his fiction books too.

He makes a good argument (essentially that even if Christianity is wrong, what have you got to lose?) but I still think religion is a waste of time.

I'll take my chances.

elaine-seinfeld-devil-face-o.gif

:thup:

C.S. Lewis helped convince me that it can be fun to be Christian. Christians have something joyful to look forward to after death. This knowledge is enough to make people happy in this life too.

C.S. Lewis helped convince me that it can be fun to be Christian. Christians have something joyful to look forward to after death. This knowledge is enough to make people happy in this life too.
If you play your cards right and watch every step you take in life...

Christianity is not a waste of time. In the eyes of God, it's all that matters.

I did. I was most interested in the notion that Satan was not all interested in Wormwood's glee that World War II was causing massive death and destruction. Satan pointed out that his job was to harvest souls, not lives.

In the end Wormwood fails, because the man he was assigned to died in a bomb attack as a good Christian.

A soul that goes to heaven is major loss to Satan, and Wormwood is punished for his failure in some horrible way.

"It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: in reality our best work is done by keeping things out.”
C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Who hasn't?
My kid has to read several books in a school year..I even had to replace one he lost...
That's true. There are regional differences. My kids schools has been taken over by a corporation. They are more concerned with making corporate workers than educated citizens. lol

Forum List

Back