Who believes in the OT?

liberalogic said:
Why doesn't God interact with us as much as he did in ancient times? Surely, the human race is much more violent than it was back then.

Also, how do we know people didn't screw around in their interpretations of the Bible? It wasn't written by God, it was written by the fallible human being.

Why do you say God doesn't interact with us? He is just WAITING for each and every one of us to wake up and call on Him. He will interact as much as we allow Him to.

Maybe people are more violent... I don't know. Maybe it's just that there are more people.

The human beings had to have had divine inspiration. How else would they have known certain things, like all the prophecies that came to pass, or even stuff about science? (ie, Isaiah talks about the"circle of the earth," at a time period when most people thought the earth was flat.)

acludem said:
How is context going to change the sentence: All who curse their mother and father be put to death. ? How? This plainly says if you curse your parents you get killed, show me the context that in anyway changes this. Is someone other than God giving this command? Does got smite he down who giveth this command?

acludem
It's an antiquated Jewish common law man. No one still does this, with the possible exception of some of those savages living out in the deserts of the Middle East. Any normal person can understand this man. Nobody disputes that the savages who wrote the Bible had strict laws by today's standards. The things you should focus on are the unbelievable things that don't corroborate science and history.

Nienna said:
I'm claiming that Christianity is a continuation of ancient Judaism.

Then you can't believe the Old Testament, including Genesis, is to be taken literally, because the people to whom that book belongs never did. It is allegorical and was always intended to be.

jillian said:
Then you can't believe the Old Testament, including Genesis, is to be taken literally
I can, and I DO.
... because the people to whom that book belongs never did. It is allegorical and was always intended to be.
When Jesus refers to the OT, he speaks as if he believes it is true history. I guess you are free to interpret it as you wish. However, I see no reason to believe the entire OT is an allegory.

Nienna said:
I can, and I DO.

When Jesus refers to the OT, he speaks as if he believes it is true history. I guess you are free to interpret it as you wish. However, I see no reason to believe the entire OT is an allegory.

But Nienna, an allegorical OT makes it so easy to sin without feeling convicted.

I wonder what led David to create all of those beautiful songs in Psalms. Perhaps it was his allegorical loving relationship with God?

Abbey Normal said:
But Nienna, an allegorical OT makes it so easy to sin without feeling convicted.

I wonder what led David to create all of those beautiful songs in Psalms. Perhaps it was his allegorical loving relationship with God?

Ah...the paradigm of religious tolerance. RAFLMAO! What were you saying again about ridiculing the beliefs of others?

:rotflmao:

jillian said:
Ah...the paradigm of religious tolerance. RAFLMAO! What were you saying again about ridiculing the beliefs of others?

*Edit* And what on EARTH does David's celebration of the divine have to do with it being taken literally??? Some believe that the Bible would be a simplification since men couldn't comprehend what actually exists.

jillian said:
*Edit* And what on EARTH does David's celebration of the divine have to do with it being taken literally??? Some believe that the Bible would be a simplification since men couldn't comprehend what actually exists.
I think she means that David had a literal (as opposed to an allegorical) relationship with God which inspired him to write the Psalms. If I am correct, Abbey?

Nienna said:
I think she means that David had a literal (as opposed to an allegorical) relationship with God which inspired him to write the Psalms. If I am correct, Abbey?

Who said there is NO history in the bible?

You know, for someone who doesn't seem like a bad person, you tolerate an awful lot of intolerance.

jillian said:

Boy, you sure sound like someone who has been dying to pull that one out. Too bad you chose an illogical time to use it, sweetie. My explaining why I believe some people feel the need to debunk the Bible, has nothing to do with religious intolerance. Come on and tell me of which religion I am being intolerant?

But then again, your M.O. is to claim Christian intolerance in just about every other post. :boohoo:

Hey btw, Jillian, can't we conservative girls have some of the winky and smiley icons and flirtatiousness you like to use with the conservative guys? All we females ever get is the Jillian (unwarranted) condescension. Sheesh, you'd never make it as a feminist. ;) :)

Forum List

Back