Who are some of your favorite writers, all-time?

Even though it had been many years since I last saw him i was devastated to hear of his passing.
I'd be interested to hear any stories you can share about Harlan.

Oh gee that was so very long ago. I was quite a bit taller than he who called me Short Stack. Robert Silverberg (have you ever read any of his work) once remarked that Harlan would never be happy until he found a woman his own size. It turned out to be so very true. His marriage to tiny Susan in 1986 lasted to his death.
I'VE only read some short fiction by Silverberg. My friend, who's a big fan of science fiction, told me his longer works (novels) are quite good. It's interesting that Harlan called YOU Short Stack. What a character he was!

Interesting thing about Ellison and his fights. Whenever he felt they had messed up his story in the conversion to a show, he used the pseudonym "Cordwainer Bird". I think that is the name he used on the Star Trek episode they messed up.
No. They used his real name on "City ..." But you are right, the Bird moniker was reserved when some work of his had been done forced by contractual obligation or otherwise corrupted by the industry that he otherwise wanted to light a match to like a burning dog turd. Harlan knew what he wanted.

A very worthwhile read is to get the book where they give Harlan's ORIGINAL version for City On The Edge of Forever, plus the rewrites leading up to his final draft. An excellent story in its own right that gives insights into the aired version.
Thanks for your post, tb. I own a SIGNED copy of the book you mentioned. It's a fascinating read!
Yes, Harlan's sig shows a man who is highly idealistic, narrow in his views, his philosophy not at all inclusive of others, not ostentatious but simple in tastes to the point of being spartan, cautious, irritable, angry, stubborn, deliberate, slow to change, a very exploratory mind, highly emotional yet restrictive and repressive, egotistical and fatalistic bordering on pessimistic or depression. Basically a destructive personality who likely traveled inward in his imagination to escape the failings he saw in his outer world.

Destructive? Not at all. He was a wise, sensitive and brilliant man who brooked no fools and called things as he saw them. If that's narrow, tough titty.

I first read him at age 12, and followed his career thereafter. I have every published book in 1st editions, most signed. His recordings are excellent. He was funny as hell, even when ripping you a new asshole.

He was always an inspiration.

One of the funniest stories I ever read by Harlan was from the book "An Edge In My Voice", where he talked about meeting up with a woman whose mother had a white carpet in her living room, and what he did to the lady just before he left (he tied her naked, splayed out, and in the middle of the carpet), then said "adios" and left.

Interesting thing about Ellison and his fights. Whenever he felt they had messed up his story in the conversion to a show, he used the pseudonym "Cordwainer Bird". I think that is the name he used on the Star Trek episode they messed up.
No. They used his real name on "City ..." But you are right, the Bird moniker was reserved when some work of his had been done forced by contractual obligation or otherwise corrupted by the industry that he otherwise wanted to light a match to like a burning dog turd. Harlan knew what he wanted.

A very worthwhile read is to get the book where they give Harlan's ORIGINAL version for City On The Edge of Forever, plus the rewrites leading up to his final draft. An excellent story in its own right that gives insights into the aired version.
Thanks for your post, tb. I own a SIGNED copy of the book you mentioned. It's a fascinating read!
Yes, Harlan's sig shows a man who is highly idealistic, narrow in his views, his philosophy not at all inclusive of others, not ostentatious but simple in tastes to the point of being spartan, cautious, irritable, angry, stubborn, deliberate, slow to change, a very exploratory mind, highly emotional yet restrictive and repressive, egotistical and fatalistic bordering on pessimistic or depression. Basically a destructive personality who likely traveled inward in his imagination to escape the failings he saw in his outer world.

Destructive? Not at all. He was a wise, sensitive and brilliant man who brooked no fools and called things as he saw them. If that's narrow, tough titty.

I first read him at age 12, and followed his career thereafter. I have every published book in 1st editions, most signed. His recordings are excellent. He was funny as hell, even when ripping you a new asshole.

He was always an inspiration.

One of the funniest stories I ever read by Harlan was from the book "An Edge In My Voice", where he talked about meeting up with a woman whose mother had a white carpet in her living room, and what he did to the lady just before he left (he tied her naked, splayed out, and in the middle of the carpet), then said "adios" and left.
Wow, I'd never heard that before now. Thanks for the post, Sailor.

The episode you are thinking of is The City On The Edge Of Forever. It was correctly credited and Harlan won several awards.

Even though it had been many years since I last saw him i was devastated to hear of his passing.
I'd be interested to hear any stories you can share about Harlan.

Oh gee that was so very long ago. I was quite a bit taller than he who called me Short Stack. Robert Silverberg (have you ever read any of his work) once remarked that Harlan would never be happy until he found a woman his own size. It turned out to be so very true. His marriage to tiny Susan in 1986 lasted to his death.
I'VE only read some short fiction by Silverberg. My friend, who's a big fan of science fiction, told me his longer works (novels) are quite good. It's interesting that Harlan called YOU Short Stack. What a character he was!
Especially since I was like a foot taller than he. I got to know most of the sci fi writers in those days.

Yanno Tipsy, even though we disagree on most things, on this one we are in agreement. Harlan Ellison was a brilliant man and writer.

And, to tell you the truth, I'm a bit jealous that you got to spend time with him. I've loved his writing ever since I read my first story.

Yanno Tipsy, even though we disagree on most things, on this one we are in agreement. Harlan Ellison was a brilliant man and writer.

And, to tell you the truth, I'm a bit jealous that you got to spend time with him. I've loved his writing ever since I read my first story.
I have a number of his books all autographed. He edited an anthology Again Dangerous Visions. I have that and every story in it has been autographed by the writer with a personal note in addition to Harlan as editor. My son put it in his safety deposit box. Most of those writers are dead now.

I have a number of his books all autographed. He edited an anthology Again Dangerous Visions. I have that and every story in it has been autographed by the writer with a personal note in addition to Harlan as editor. My son put it in his safety deposit box. Most of those writers are dead now.

I used to have that book. You got ALL the authors to sign their stories? You lucky duck. BTW..................one of my favorite stories of his was "Djinn, No Chaser", and another one was "Neither Your Jenny Nor Mine". You got any favorites?

I've enjoyed the work of SO many writers over the years since I first learned to read. I thank my mother for instilling a love of books and reading in me. It's one of the many gifts she gave me that I'll never be able to adequately thank her for in my prayers to her spirit. Anyway, here are my five favorites - 1) Ray Bradbury, the first writer that got me really interested in science fiction/fantasy and books for adult reading. I had the great fortune of meeting him a couple times at lectures/book signings he did in Phoenix, Arizona. He was a wonderful speaker and very generous in signing items for his fans. I had only one item each that he signed both times, but one of those times, a person in front of me had at least 20, maybe 30 items for him to sign, and he did so with no complaint. The only comment he had about the guy after he left was, "Boy, he sure had a lot to sign!" The man was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. 2) Harlan Ellison, just a fantastically intelligent, clever, angry, funny, loving, and at times, unbelievably tender in his writing, both fiction and non-fiction. I also had the great fortune of meeting him twice, at lectures/book signings. He was incredibly funny both times and also very generous in signing items. I own 7 or 8 items he was kind enough to sign for me. And like the works of Ray Bradbury, everything Harlan wrote is worthy of reading and highly recommended. 3) Stephen King, THE horror master. He's the one, more than any other writer, that got me interested in reading horror fiction. His first ten books or so are absolutely essential for fans of horror. His non-fiction works have been wonderful, as well, especially his Danse Macabre, I believe first published in 1980. It's a book of his loving and often very funny, memories of horror writings, horror movies, and horror TV shows that left an indelible mark on him. HIGHLY recommended. 4) Peter Guralnick, THE best writer of music and music history I've ever read. He has a love for many genres of music, including blues, classic country (before the 1980's), classic r&b from the 60's and 70's, and rock and roll. His loves shines in all of his work. A brilliant writer. 5) Joe R. Lansdale, a prolific writer of horror and murder/mystery novels. His early stuff from the early to mid 80's is a bit gruesome and violent at times, but always well-written. In recent years he's become quite popular due to his ongoing series of the adventures and misadventures of his two well-meaning, but sometimes hapless private investigators, Hap and Leonard. Every book I've read in the series is funny and action packed. Highly recommended, as well. I, along with my sister, had the great fortune of meeting Mr. Lansdale at a lecture/book signing he did in Scottsdale, Arizona, some years ago. He was entertaining and very generous in signing items, I believe he signed about five items of mine. So, here are some of my favorite writers, who are some of yours?
James Michener, Ayn Rand, George Orwell, Ray Bradbury, Aldous Huxley, Charles Dickens, Tom Clancy and this board is being a real PITA so I'll end the list here.
Thanks for the post, Dick. It's great to see that MANY people have mentioned Ray Bradbury. Hope is NOT totally lost for civilization!

We can probably find old threads from the 1990's in the Wayback Machine and compare similar lists from then to those of today, and find an entirely different spread of authors; nobody has yet listed Mark Twain, for instance, one of the great humorists of American Lit., and many others of similar talent, W. E. B. Dubois , etc. I saw a list of readings from a high school English Lit class some years ago, and was struck by the differences from my own days in school. And yes, the modern one read more like an indoctrination agenda than a genuine Lit class.
I would have but the editor was being particularly cranky and I got tired of fighting it. Using this board with a tablet is a real pain in the ass. It does everything it can to piss you off.

Wow! Dangerous Visions and Again Dangerous Visions are my two absolute favorite science fiction anthologies. Harlan's writing in these is brilliant, I love how he wrote an intro for each story. And DOUBLE WOW that every author signed your copy of Again Dangerous Visions! I don't need to tell YOU how much that must be worth today.

I used to have that book. You got ALL the authors to sign their stories? You lucky duck. BTW..................one of my favorite stories of his was "Djinn, No Chaser", and another one was "Neither Your Jenny Nor Mine". You got any favorites?
MY personal favorite by Harlan is his "Paladin of the Lost Hour". Just brilliantly written, with SO much tenderness.

MY personal favorite by Harlan is his "Paladin of the Lost Hour". Just brilliantly written, with SO much tenderness.

I liked that one as well. Was kinda cool that the young man got to be the caretaker after rescuing the old man. And yeah, that was a really good story. Matter of fact, after reading most of the stuff that I'd read (started out with Gentleman Junkie and Other Stories of the Hung Up Generation), Paladin of the Lost Hour kinda surprised me.

You know, there is one author that I haven't seen on this thread yet, and I gotta say, he wrote 2 books that had a significant impact on my life.

Richard Bach. He wrote "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", and "Illusions, the Tales of a Reluctant Messiah". Both of those books have some really good life lessons in them, and they are kinda spiritual.

After I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull in grade school, that became one book I always have with me. After I read Illusions, that also became a "must have" in my inventory I carry with me.

Both books are excellent, easy to read, and have a lot in them about how one might decide to live life.

(Billy points rather self-servingly to his avatar. :auiqs.jpg:)

David Drake I forgot him. Love his stuff. Like I said I am hooked on David Weber and John Ringo right now. David Weber has two series I read, Safehold and Honor Harrington he is 67 now not sure how many more he is gonna write. John Ringo has Black Tide rising he said after 4 books he was done but since then he has written 2 more and I heard another is coming out.

Of Harlan's stories there are so many good ones. Repent Harlequinn, Said the Tick Tok Man. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. So many excellent ones. What a fabulous mind.

Shit. I couldn't begin to list them. Too many and read a couple to 3 books a week. Read Black Elk Speaks again but he didn't write it.

Of Harlan's stories there are so many good ones. Repent Harlequinn, Said the Tick Tok Man. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. So many excellent ones. What a fabulous mind.

Seriously.

The Deathbird. One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty. Jeffty is Five. The Man Who Rowed Christopher Columbus Ashore. Knox. Catman.

On and on.

I don't know whether this is generally known but Harlan told his wife to burn every note, writing and unfinished work after his death because he did not want anyone to finish anything he started.

Forum List

Back