Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

I'm in a bad mood. I sent someone a message with a subject "Go Fuck Yourself" and the body of the message was "more strongly worded message to follow" i then put the person on ignore.

I'll unignore them tomorrow

I'm in a bad mood. I sent someone a message with a subject "Go Fuck Yourself" and the body of the message was "more strongly worded message to follow" i then put the person on ignore.

I'll unignore them tomorrow
I can probably guess WHO you sent that message to. Don't worry, there's a good chance that person won't even remember what he posted tonight and what made you so upset to reply to him in that manner. I'm sure it will all blow over, so to speak.

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
I hate guitars except when Prince plays it.

That's very weird to me; there are not a lot of hard-core Prince fans. But you're absolutely right to admire his guitar playing. Most of his fans have absolutely zero idea how really, really, good he was.

Why is someone reporting someone to the mods? Did I miss something? This is the friendliest thread I've seen on this site. It'd be nice if it stayed that way.
Well, Duke (Marion Morrison), went a bit overboard on his insistence that Frank Zappa died from AIDS. And of course he didn't, he died from prostate cancer. He posted this several times, maybe four or five times, even though a few of us told him he was wrong.

What do you all play when you play for yourselves?
I hack at an Ibanez hollow body electric through a relatively ancient Line 6 Vetta digital two channel 150 watt combo amp with the two pedal floorboard. It ain't got no dayum toobs but it's got tunes and tones a plenty and bout every effect from soup to nuts built in. Reverbs, fuzz effects, tremelo, flangers, delays, chorus etc. etc. no other effects or stomp boxes necessary.

ibanezafs75ttrd.jpg

FBV On Floor.jpg

FBV Stoed Overall.jpg

I only wish I could play it worth a damn.

The following are my favorite.

Brad Paisley
Vince Gill
Steve Wariner
Ricky Skaggs
Jimmy Olander of the Diamond Rio act

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly
Ricky Scaggs is not only a fine mandolin, fiddle, and guitar player, he's one of the best Bluegrass harmony singers too. Especially on the gospel songs.
Ricky was the first solo act that I saw in concert when I was around five years old. His Live In London album was my first album, I still have it, and I still love it. :) :) :)

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. Right here is my most favorite song from him.

Nice. Thank you for that. And while we're in Ricky Scaggs mode, here's a couple of his gems >>

This next video is music-priceless, and gives creedence to those who say that bluegrass, a combination of country, folk, and jazz, gives musicians a chance to show off their virtuosity, perhaps more than any genre.. These songs do just that, and demonstrate the power and beauty of bluegrass harmony singing too, derived originally from the old negro, southern spiritual tradition. You can listen to the talk parts, or just beam in on the 5 songs, and enjoy the mastery of some of my favorite musicians, who are some of the best ever. 45 years later, this is still a classic video, not to be missed.
Note: when Ricky Scaggs played in this video, although only 25 years old, he had already been playing the mandolin for 20 years.

Ricky Skaggs - Mandolin
Tony Rice - Guitar
Jerry Douglas - Dobro Guitar
JD Crowe - Banjo/Guitar
Bobby Sloan - Bass

I hack at an Ibanez hollow body electric through a relatively ancient Line 6 Vetta digital two channel 150 watt combo amp with the two pedal floorboard. It ain't got no dayum toobs but it's got tunes and tones a plenty and bout every effect from soup to nuts built in. Reverbs, fuzz effects, tremelo, flangers, delays, chorus etc. etc. no other effects or stomp boxes necessary.

View attachment 332161
View attachment 332162
View attachment 332163

I play a Peavy (Fender Strat copy) Raptor Plus 6 string solid body electric.

An Epiphone Studio 10S 19 watt Amp.

Ibanez Artwood Acoustic-Electric Dreadnought.

Eastman MD-304 All Solid Oval hole Mandolin.

Mitchell AM100VS Solid top, f holes Mandolin.

Carlo Robelli CRV 50544 Violin

2 Marine Band harmonicas (G & D)

Oak Classic (D) Pennyshistle

Except for the pennywhistle, I play all these professionally, and I teach them through Musikalessons.com and Taylor Robinson Music Lessons. I get as much satisfaction from seeing my students learn and progress, as I've ever gotten from playing on stage or anywhere.

Not mentioned here are scores of instruments that I have owned over the 40-59 years I've been playing. Wish I had every one of them back right now. Maybe after the next stimulus check, I'll get replacements for them, most notably the Martin D-28 and Epihone SG guitars I had.

View attachment 332161
View attachment 332162
View attachment 332163

Except for the pennywhistle, I play all these professionally, and I teach them through Musikalessons.com and Taylor Robinson Music Lessons. I get as much satisfaction from seeing my students learn and progress, as I've ever gotten from playing on stage or anywhere.

Not mentioned here are scores of instruments that I have owned over the 40-59 years I've been playing. Wish I had every one of them back right now. Maybe after the next stimulus check, I'll get replacements for them, most notably the Martin D-28 and Epihone SG guitars I had.
If they're anything like some of the guitars I've had it better be a whopping big check. Vintage guitars and gear is expensive as hell even if you can find them these days. I've had a Gretch Electromatic (great jazz box and tone) a Fender Telecaster, Fender Jass Bass and a Fender Precision Bass and an assortment of old tube amps Fenders mostly. A couple of cheap guitars that are no names now that aren't worth remembering. I think my first amp was an old Gibson my dad had. I made my own spring reverb for it because you had to have a reverb to play Shotgun and I couldn't afford a Fender amp with one. That must have been 1964 or thereabouts.

I've never taught or played in anything but garage bands because I really do suck at it. I could play some rock but then I move on to jazz and see exactly what a no talent putz I am. That don't mean I can't enjoy the hell out of it and music though. I guess knowing how hard it is makes me respect those who are good at it even more. I put it down for a lot of years then a friend got me the guitar as a gift so I got the amp and tried again but I still suck. I think it's one of those things that you've either got or you don't and I dont. No amount of practice or desire can make up for no aptitude and no talent. It is what it is. I'm grateful for the talents that I've got in other areas.

View attachment 332161
View attachment 332162
View attachment 332163

If they're anything like some of the guitars I've had it better be a whopping big check. Vintage guitars and gear is expensive as hell even if you can find them these days. I've had a Gretch Electromatic (great jazz box and tone) a Fender Telecaster, Fender Jass Bass and a Fender Precision Bass and an assortment of old tube amps Fenders mostly. A couple of cheap guitars that are no names now that aren't worth remembering. I think my first amp was an old Gibson my dad had. I made my own spring reverb for it because you had to have a reverb to play Shotgun and I couldn't afford a Fender amp with one. That must have been 1964 or thereabouts.

I've never taught or played in anything but garage bands because I really do suck at it. I could play some rock but then I move on to jazz and see exactly what a no talent putz I am. That don't mean I can't enjoy the hell out of it and music though. I guess knowing how hard it is makes me respect those who are good at it even more. I put it down for a lot of years then a friend got me the guitar as a gift so I got the amp and tried again but I still suck. I think it's one of those things that you've either got or you don't and I dont. No amount of practice or desire can make up for no aptitude and no talent. It is what it is. I'm grateful for the talents that I've got in other areas.

Ah, the golden years of soul Dick!!!
~S~

I suck, but keep a higher-end Ibanez student model around. No amps, no nothing. Don't care, I know I'll never be as good as I'd want to be, but I like to play some things, sometimes.
At least Chet Atkins is duly recognized.
At one time I had a Jackson 24-fret Strat with EMG active humbuckers.
I know where that guitar is to this day.
Did I mention the Kahler 1 whammy bar? :eek:
That guitar was too good for me.

Last edited:

For my own head?

well that's a good Q Dick

anything that's a decent groove ,makes 'em dance

I'm just a Bassplayer , but i have backed up some of my area's best Guitar players, and boy is it FUN when they're on top of their game

27788449_1424395774354625_7292035294696827211_o.jpg

~S~
Way back when I played bass too. I played bass and rhythm because I was never good enough for lead but I liked playing bass anyway. It's what everyone dances too so you're not JUST a bass player. You're the anchor.

You speak very genuinely. That says a lot.

Forum List

Back