Who are some of your favorite Blues musicians, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
There have been MANY great practitioners of blues throughout the history of the music, which most believed to originate around 1920, in America's southern states. Blues music derived from jazz, gospel, folk, and old country music. Many of the early blues artists combined blues with religious music in their repertoire. My absolute favorite blues musician is Muddy Waters. His blues were/are some of the most powerful and heartfelt songs ever recorded. You really can't go wrong with ANY of his albums/CD's. His music really IS that good. Other favorites of mine include Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, B.B. King, Sam "Lightnin" Hopkins, Skip James, Elmore James, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Fenton Robinson, and Jimmy Johnson - who is STILL active in the Chicago blues scene at age 91! And also Buddy Guy, who has kept the blues "alive" probably more than any other older blues musician. So, here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

There have been MANY great practitioners of blues throughout the history of the music, which most believed to originate around 1920, in America's southern states. Blues music derived from jazz, gospel, folk, and old country music. Many of the early blues artists combined blues with religious music in their repertoire. My absolute favorite blues musician is Muddy Waters. His blues were/are some of the most powerful and heartfelt songs ever recorded. You really can't go wrong with ANY of his albums/CD's. His music really IS that good. Other favorites of mine include Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, B.B. King, Sam "Lightnin" Hopkins, Skip James, Elmore James, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Fenton Robinson, and Jimmy Johnson - who is STILL active in the Chicago blues scene at age 91! And also Buddy Guy, who has kept the blues "alive" probably more than any other older blues musician. So, here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
Roy Buchanan and Papa John Creach could put on a pretty good live show in their day.

Roy Buchanan and Papa John Creach could put on a pretty good live show in their day.
Thanks for your reply. Roy Buchanan was one of THE best blues guitarists I've ever heard. It's a shame he died quite young, due to some weird stuff that happened at a jail he was taken to. Some believe he was murdered, even though it was ruled as suicide. I'm not sure if you've read anything about this, it was just really, really strange. But man, what an incredible guitarist he was! And Papa John Creach is a wonderful mention, as well. He actually played blues, jazz, folk, and rock and roll VIOLIN! And boy was he good. He did some great music for Hot Tuna and Jefferson Starship.

Thanks for your reply. Roy Buchanan was one of THE best blues guitarists I've ever heard. It's a shame he died quite young, due to some weird stuff that happened at a jail he was taken to. Some believe he was murdered, even though it was ruled as suicide. I'm not sure if you've read anything about this, it was just really, really strange. But man, what an incredible guitarist he was! And Papa John Creach is a wonderful mention, as well. He actually played blues, jazz, folk, and rock and roll VIOLIN! And boy was he good. He did some great music for Hot Tuna and Jefferson Starship.
Papa John SMOKED. The guy was on fire. Roy was found dead with unexplained bruises all over not connected with his suicide. He was 'Epsteined.'

Papa John SMOKED. The guy was on fire. Roy was found dead with unexplained bruises all over not connected with his suicide. He was 'Epsteined.'
The circumstances concerning Roy's death were just so damned strange. The music world was robbed of a great musician that day.

Ellen McIlwaine

Thanks for this post and the others, as well. I'm not familiar with this blues woman, although judging by the pic, I may have watched a couple of her videos. I'll definitely look further into her music. And especially thanks for the Howlin" Wolf link. There was a time when I liked his music as much as Muddy's. He's definitely my #2 pick. And mentioning Charley Patton was very nice. He was a big influence on Howlin' Wolf. And finally, sorry for being so rough on you on my thread in the Flame Zone tonight. I was just being my sometimes stupid self. It IS in the Flame Zone, but that doesn't excuse my boorish behavior. Thanks again for your posts on THIS thread.

Buddy Guy
And he's STILL active in the Chicago blues scene, at age 83, I believe. Just a fantastic guitarist AND a fine vocalist, as well.

I had never heard of him until I lived around the block from his bar.
Wow, you lived THAT close? Did you ever go there to see him perform? I've seen him live only once, around 2001 or 2002 in Scottsdale, Arizona. HE was good, but the venue was awful. I wish I had seen him in a better setting.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back