Greatest Guitarist of Alltime!

I think every electric guitar player owes a lot of their thanks to Charlie Christian. He was shredding before shredding was named.

Who is the greatest guitarist of all time?

Without any question, it is John McLaughlin.

johnmclaughlin[2].jpg

A name that is missing from your list is Glenn Campbell. Yeah, he was a country music star. But he was also a much sought after studio musician. Most people don't realize how good Campbell was.

Roy Clark is another. Not a rock guitarist, but a major talent.

Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson were also masters of their art.

He immediately came to my mind as well. He may be the least thought of among the greats. he could have easily played rock music without a hitch

1. Jiminy Hendrix
  2. Eric Clapton
  3. Jeff Beck
  4. Jimmy Page
  5. Eddie Van Halen
  6. Stevie Ray Vaughn
  7. Carlos Santana
  8. Randy Rhoades
  9. Al Dimeola
  10. Bonamassa
So who is it? I'm a victim of my generation; I see Hendrix and Clapton as 1A and 1B.
Well, we sure as hell know it isnt Joe Biden, for he cant do anything right, so you have to try to dangle the babble so no one will look at lousy Joe.

1. Jiminy Hendrix
  2. Eric Clapton
  3. Jeff Beck
  4. Jimmy Page
  5. Eddie Van Halen
  6. Stevie Ray Vaughn
  7. Carlos Santana
  8. Randy Rhoades
  9. Al Dimeola
  10. Bonamassa
So who is it? I'm a victim of my generation; I see Hendrix and Clapton as 1A and 1B.
I have seen 2 thru 9 on your list live, some more than once. I have also listened to recordings of Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler riffing off one another, well worth a listen if one can find it.

Goind off the ten on your list, I will have to go with Al DiMeola. From his stuff with Return to Forever to his solo work and collaberations it is all Grade A+.

Edit to add: And prepare for a heap load of butt hurt for the omission of a certain cheesy pop guitarist....lol.

Mississippi John Hurt, Tony Rice, Parick Sky, Chuck Berry (his double stops), and Keith Richards, for his versatility of playing in multiple tunings.

Besides those mentioned Chet Atkins, B.B. King

Glad you brought up Chet Atkins. When Guitar Mag started the Guitarist of the Month, Chet won the first 5 months as voted by other guitarists. They had to create a hall of fame to get people to stop voting for Chet. Chet played with Andre Sogovia until Sagovia found out Atkins also played steel string guitars. He also wrote for and produced for many of the leading Rock Bands and played with them in special presentations. I once heard him play a 3/4 song AND a 4/4 song at the same time.

I found that as I get older it's harder and harder to choose who I think is my favorite or the best or whatever.

Lately , even though Joe Satriani is probably my favorite guitar player I'm leaning towards Paul Gilbert more and more.

Last edited:
Whenever we talk about guitarists, we generally confine ourselves to the US and Great Britain. There are however, many great guitarists outside the US, well known in their countries, but mostly unknown here in America.

Being a guitarist myself, and having lived in Mexico for 4 years, I came in contact with a lot of the fine music of Mexico. One of the great guitarists of Mexico is Sergio Vallin, who plays a wide variety of genres from Mexican folk guitar, to classical, to Rock, and plays with the Lain American famous band > Mana.

Whenever we talk about guitarists, we generally confine ourselves to the US and Great Britain. There are however, many great guitarists outside the US, well known in their countries, but mostly unknown here in America.

Being a guitarist myself, and having lived in Mexico for 4 years, I came in contact with a lot of the fine music of Mexico. One of the great guitarists of Mexico is Sergio Vallin, who plays a wide variety of genres from Mexican folk guitar, to classical, to Rock, and plays with the Lain American famous band > Mana.

Gustavo Guerra from Brazil

My all around favorite. Is Kenny Burrell. Touch, tone, feeling, technique.

Johnny Smith - Wes Montgomery - Jim Hall - Barney Kessel.

There have been loads of great guitarists. In all styles of music.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back