Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

I used to spend a lot of time on a guitar forum. It had a lot of metal players on it and once in a while they'd start bragging about their so called shredding abilities. Then I'd go on the web and find a clip of some little kid just shredding the hell out of a giuitar and post it up for them. It's amazing the ability that some kids have at very early ages. Little Mozart's all over the place. That's how I know that real musical ability is a natural gift and a talent that you're either born with or you're not. And if you aren't born with some of it you ain't never gonna have it no matter how long you practice or how hard you try. Some folks got it and some ain't.

I can play the notes, but not the music. I can feel the music in my soul, but I cannot make it come out my fingers. What I play is technically correct, but superficial. I tried through much of my life to learn to play various instruments. I've worked hard and practiced faithfully. I can play the notes in the correct sequence and time, but it's not music. No matter how much I wish it were.
Same predicament here. Plus I can't for the life of me learn to read music or make any sense out of harmony or music theory. It's just a senseless jumble of obscure unrelated stuff to me. What playing I do, I do by ear. I can feel it and take it in but I can't really get it out the way I feel it. However I still like trying.
Reading music, for most musical purposes is unnecessary and irrelevant.
Form follows function.
For very long pieces of music (classical typically) which are wanting to be duplicated, it it is useful. For short, easily memorized, it's not necessary.

Musical notation, in some respects is an outdated thing. In the 16th century, without electricity and recording/playback devices, it was the only way to be able to know and play a piece of music, short of having a musician play it for you live.
Now, with playback, we can hear music whenever we want to, and can copy key, chords, notes, and timing, and play what we memorize, from repetitive listening,

Music theory is OK, but many teachers put too much emphasis on it, and wind up with students who know all about it, and then struggle to play a single tune on their instrument. Better to know very little theory, but come away from lessons able to play at least a few songs/tunes,

Last edited:
I used to spend a lot of time on a guitar forum. It had a lot of metal players on it and once in a while they'd start bragging about their so called shredding abilities. Then I'd go on the web and find a clip of some little kid just shredding the hell out of a giuitar and post it up for them. It's amazing the ability that some kids have at very early ages. Little Mozart's all over the place. That's how I know that real musical ability is a natural gift and a talent that you're either born with or you're not. And if you aren't born with some of it you ain't never gonna have it no matter how long you practice or how hard you try. Some folks got it and some ain't.

I can play the notes, but not the music. I can feel the music in my soul, but I cannot make it come out my fingers. What I play is technically correct, but superficial. I tried through much of my life to learn to play various instruments. I've worked hard and practiced faithfully. I can play the notes in the correct sequence and time, but it's not music. No matter how much I wish it were.
Same predicament here. Plus I can't for the life of me learn to read music or make any sense out of harmony or music theory. It's just a senseless jumble of obscure unrelated stuff to me. What playing I do, I do by ear. I can feel it and take it in but I can't really get it out the way I feel it. However I still like trying.
Form follows function.
For very long pieces of music (classical typically) which are wanting to be duplicated, it it is useful. For short, easily memorized, it's not necessary.

Musical notation, in some respects is an outdated thing. In the 16th century, without electricity and recording/playback devices, it was the only way to be able to know and play a piece of music, short of having a musician play it for you live.
Now, with playback, we can hear music whenever we want to, and can copy key, chords, notes, and timing, and play what we memorize, from repetitive listening,

Music theory is OK, but many teachers put too much emphasis on it, and wind up with students who know all about it, and then struggle to play a single tune on their instrument. Better to know very little theory, but come away from lessons able to play at least a few songs/tunes,

Bullshit. Thatā€™s like saying thereā€˜a little point in writing or reading books because we have storytellers to convey them. Yes they can but the original details and nuances will be lost over the years and the rich textured story will be reduced to its simplest form.

The best musicians are those who understand the theory behind their constructions. Those who are the greatest musicians and most proficient at their trade are the ones who study and learn how read and write music and understand its structural underpinnings.

When Iā€™m around real musicians, Iā€™m dazzled by their technical knowledge. Even those who canā€™t read music soak up every bit of theory they can. Written music is a shortcut to getting everyone playing the same song, and letā€™s take it from there.

But to suggest that musical theory is irrelevant and unnecessary is ridiculous. People donā€™t become successful in the music business without years of work and study. Most started as children. As one musician put it, ā€œI took me 12 years to make my first album. The studio wants my second album in 6 monthsā€.

I can read and transcribe music easily. Math and logic has always come easily to me, as did computer programing. Playing by ear is harder for me, although if I find the starting note, I can usually work it out. It's not a natural process for me.

It's funny that you mentioned that you still feel like trying. I was thinking of buying a piano. My ex-husband was the lead guitarist/singer for a 1970's cult favourite Canadian band. They put out one album, back in 1974, but mostly they played bars throughout eastern Canada in the early to mid-1970's. I had a couple of guitars when I was married to him, including an Epiphone accoustic, and a vintage 1954 cherry red Gibson Les Paul Jr. which I got for my 18th birthday. My ex took that guitar in the divorce and I know he still has it. It was and is his favourite guitar. He worked in musical instrument stores between gigs and had quite a collection, when we were married.

I was thinking of getting an electric piano. It's small enough to fit in my house, and I can move it by myself. My son works for the largest chain of musical instrument stores in Canada, so I can get a good deal, and being retired, I have the time. It's also the instrument that is the most natural to me, and which my playing comes closest to passing for music.
In case you didn't see this on another thread, something you might enjoy.

Updated...
rip Jason

Embarrassed to say I didn't realize he was still alive.
For some reason I thought I heard that he had passed away last year, but he's 50 now.

Becker's performing career was cut short by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). In 1996, Becker lost the ability to speak, and he now communicates with his eyes via a system developed by his father. Despite his disability, he continues composing by using a computer and has since released with Shrapnel Collection, a "best of" album of his favorite songs and three new songs.

Official video for Jason Becker's Valley Of Fire featuring guest performances by Michael Lee Firkins, Steve Vai, Joe Bonamassa, Paul Gilbert, Neal Schon, Mattias IA Eklundh, Marty Friedman, Greg Howe, Jeff Loomis, Richie Kotzen, Gus G., Steve Hunter and Ben Woods.

Updated...
rip Jason

Embarrassed to say I didn't realize he was still alive.
For some reason I thought I heard that he had passed away last year, but he's 50 now.

Becker's performing career was cut short by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). In 1996, Becker lost the ability to speak, and he now communicates with his eyes via a system developed by his father. Despite his disability, he continues composing by using a computer and has since released with Shrapnel Collection, a "best of" album of his favorite songs and three new songs.

"He's not dead yet", actually the exact quote is, "I'm not dead yet!" From the hilariously and outrageously funny Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"He's not dead yet", actually the exact quote is, "I'm not dead yet!" From the hilariously and outrageously funny Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
That reminds me of 'A Fish Called Wanda' when
Michael Palin runs over Kevin Kline with the steam roller...
" .... It's K k Ken C c coming to k k kill me."
"Revenge !"

Yep!

Form follows function.

Bullshit. Thatā€™s like saying thereā€˜a little point in writing or reading books because we have storytellers to convey them. Yes they can but the original details and nuances will be lost over the years and the rich textured story will be reduced to its simplest form.

The best musicians are those who understand the theory behind their constructions. Those who are the greatest musicians and most proficient at their trade are the ones who study and learn how read and write music and understand its structural underpinnings.

When Iā€™m around real musicians, Iā€™m dazzled by their technical knowledge. Even those who canā€™t read music soak up every bit of theory they can. Written music is a shortcut to getting everyone playing the same song, and letā€™s take it from there.

But to suggest that musical theory is irrelevant and unnecessary is ridiculous. People donā€™t become successful in the music business without years of work and study. Most started as children. As one musician put it, ā€œI took me 12 years to make my first album. The studio wants my second album in 6 monthsā€.
1. You analogy is INVALID. No, original details and nuances will be NOT be lost over the years, because the orginal recordings will still be 100% intact, as they are re-recorded, and with better technology. Nothing is lost any more than would be lost from the books you allude to.

2. No, the best musicians are NOT those who "understand the theory behind their constructions" Some of the very finest blues guitarists who ever lived (and I posted videos of 3 of them in this thread), know nothing of music theory, and couldn't have cared less. Some of the very finest bluegrass musicians who ever lived (and I posted them in this thread too) couldn't care less about theory. Probably none of them have ever read a single bar of musical notation.

3. Most musicians in Rock, Folk, Country, Blues, and Bluegrass who have attained great success (financially and/or personally) never read music, or studied it. Hundreds of them have "become successful in the music business without years of work and study" of musical notation and theory. Really, it's almost 100% of them.

4. Most musicologists who have studied music, can't play a single bar of it on any musical instrument. I've met some of them when I was in college.

I'm not an enemy of musical notation, I respect it, but I realistically understand its relevance to a time that didn't have recorded music, as compared to now, when we do. Maybe if you were a proficient/polished musician, as I am (on 4 instruments), you might understand better what I'm saying.

Out of dozens of fiddle tunes that I play on the fiddle, mandolin, and guitar, I can only recall 2 or 3 that I learned from notation or tablature. Same with popular tunes I play. What's more, I have created my own style of notation (like tablature, it's specific to the instrument), which I have seen work very successfully for my students.

That reminds me of 'A Fish Called Wanda' when
Michael Palin runs over Kevin Kline with the steam roller...
" .... It's K k Ken C c coming to k k kill me."
"Revenge !"

My favourite line from that movie is ā€œTo call you ā€˜stupidā€™ would be an insult to stupid people!ā€

Form follows function.

1. You analogy is INVALID. No, original details and nuances will be NOT be lost over the years, because the orginal recordings will still be 100% intact, as they are re-recorded, and with better technology. Nothing is lost any more than would be lost from the books you allude to.

2. No, the best musicians are NOT those who "understand the theory behind their constructions" Some of the very finest blues guitarists who ever lived (and I posted videos of 3 of them in this thread), know nothing of music theory, and couldn't have cared less. Some of the very finest bluegrass musicians who ever lived (and I posted them in this thread too) couldn't care less about theory. Probably none of them have ever read a single bar of musical notation.

3. Most musicians in Rock, Folk, Country, Blues, and Bluegrass who have attained great success (financially and/or personally) never read music, or studied it. Hundreds of them have "become successful in the music business without years of work and study" of musical notation and theory. Really, it's almost 100% of them.

4. Most musicologists who have studied music, can't play a single bar of it on any musical instrument. I've met some of them when I was in college.

I'm not an enemy of musical notation, I respect it, but I realistically understand its relevance to a time that didn't have recorded music, as compared to now, when we do. Maybe if you were a proficient/polished musician, as I am (on 4 instruments), you might understand better what I'm saying.

Out of dozens of fiddle tunes that I play on the fiddle, mandolin, and guitar, I can only recall 2 or 3 that I learned from notation or tablature. Same with popular tunes I play. What's more, I have created my own style of notation (like tablature, it's specific to the instrument), which I have seen work very successfully for my students.
Wes Montgomery couldn't read a single note nor could Glen Campbell a rather excellent session guitarist before he became famous as a singer. That's just for starters off the top of my head. I'd be willing to bet money many other famous guitar players especially black blues players could read music or understand harmony or theory. There are those that can do and those that study those that can do but studying and doing will always be different things entirely.

I can read and transcribe music easily. Math and logic has always come easily to me, as did computer programing. Playing by ear is harder for me, although if I find the starting note, I can usually work it out. It's not a natural process for me.

It's funny that you mentioned that you still feel like trying. I was thinking of buying a piano. My ex-husband was the lead guitarist/singer for a 1970's cult favourite Canadian band. They put out one album, back in 1974, but mostly they played bars throughout eastern Canada in the early to mid-1970's. I had a couple of guitars when I was married to him, including an Epiphone accoustic, and a vintage 1954 cherry red Gibson Les Paul Jr. which I got for my 18th birthday. My ex took that guitar in the divorce and I know he still has it. It was and is his favourite guitar. He worked in musical instrument stores between gigs and had quite a collection, when we were married.

I was thinking of getting an electric piano. It's small enough to fit in my house, and I can move it by myself. My son works for the largest chain of musical instrument stores in Canada, so I can get a good deal, and being retired, I have the time. It's also the instrument that is the most natural to me, and which my playing comes closest to passing for music.
In case you didn't see this on another thread, something you might enjoy.

Wonderful! I not only don't have any of that shit, I don't even know where it comes from. It's a natural gift that only few have and you can't get it, steal it, or buy it. You've either got it or you don't as they say and I sure do admire and envy those who do.

Form follows function.

That's complete and utter BULLSHIT.

We

Well then get one. It's never been cheaper than it is today. I'm amazed by how much electronics has impacted musical instruments from when I was a kid till today. With electronics you can make anything sound like almost anything else or something no one has ever heard before. You can get a keyboard and sound like the whole damned orchestra or any instrument in it. Even guitar synths are pretty remarkable. If I could play, I'd have one or maybe two or three. As a techie nerd, I'm extremely susceptible to gearitus.

Form follows function.

There are those that can do and those that study those that can do but studying and doing will always be different things entirely.

This!!!

I'm a great study in music. Music is mathematical and I am and always was, a math whiz. It's instinctual for me. I learned computer programming without having studied it.

This is my ex-husband's band:

He had a website when they re-released the album a few years ago, but when I searched, nothing came up.

We

Well then get one. It's never been cheaper than it is today. I'm amazed by how much electronics has impacted musical instruments from when I was a kid till today. With electronics you can make anything sound like almost anything else or something no one has ever heard before. You can get a keyboard and sound like the whole damned orchestra or any instrument in it. Even guitar synths are pretty remarkable. If I could play, I'd have one or maybe two or three. As a techie nerd, I'm extremely susceptible to gearitus.

Tech toys are the best ever!!! My grandkids have drones!!!!

I had only considered buying the piano within the past week, but do I really want to disappoint myself again? I'm undecided because of other issues. Arthritis really arrived in my hands in the past year, so it's kind of now or never. It's been there for a while. Music isn't my gift, but sewing and needlework truly is.

I have sat down with needle, thread and fabric, or yard and needles and at the end of the project stood back and said "That is so beautiful I can't believe I made that". My sewing room wall has a shelf of ribbons and trophies from the local fall fairs. I've shipping my skating and dance costumes to Europe, Asia, Australia, and North America. I've had to give up fine crochet, because it hurt too much to do it, and my hands were sore and swollen for days when I finished.

I have an entire room filled with fabric and materials, so are the years I have left with the declining use of my hands best spent pursuing a goal I will never achieve, or making all of the beautiful things that I can for my grandchildren, while I can still do it? I still might go for the piano.

Form follows function.

There are those that can do and those that study those that can do but studying and doing will always be different things entirely.

This!!!

I'm a great study in music. Music is mathematical and I am and always was, a math whiz. It's instinctual for me. I learned computer programming without having studied it.

This is my ex-husband's band:

He had a website when they re-released the album a few years ago, but when I searched, nothing came up.
None of which has anything to do with the point.
As an engineer I to am pretty good in math. In fact I have a natural gift for electronics, for a while three years I was a also a geodetic surveyor which is intensely mathmatical. As a kid of maybe 12 I was already in trouble with the FCC for building a jammer that took out the entire electronic spectrum for a mile or two around. However, I still suck at music, always have and have essentially no talent in that area. I love it but I still suck at it so it has nothing to do with desire or willingness either. I have a decent sense of time and a decent ear but no talent. It is what it is. I am consoled by the fact that few can design electronics like I can. We all have our strengths and our weaknesses and must learn to live with the cards we were dealt.

Forum List

Back