Who are some of your favorite Blues musicians, all-time?

There have been MANY great practitioners of blues throughout the history of the music, which most believed to originate around 1920, in America's southern states. Blues music derived from jazz, gospel, folk, and old country music. Many of the early blues artists combined blues with religious music in their repertoire. My absolute favorite blues musician is Muddy Waters. His blues were/are some of the most powerful and heartfelt songs ever recorded. You really can't go wrong with ANY of his albums/CD's. His music really IS that good. Other favorites of mine include Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, B.B. King, Sam "Lightnin" Hopkins, Skip James, Elmore James, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Fenton Robinson, and Jimmy Johnson - who is STILL active in the Chicago blues scene at age 91! And also Buddy Guy, who has kept the blues "alive" probably more than any other older blues musician. So, here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

I love the blues. Both traditional and more contemporary.

Here are some photos of some of my favorites I took when I worked with them.

The first time I worked with him. Taken in the early 90s.

BBKing29.jpg
BBKing30.jpg

The last time I worked with him. It was his 80th birthday tour. That is the smile he always had for me when he saw me. I started working with him in the early 90s ended in 2005 with so many wonderful times between. The two shots above have been published. The one below has never been published or shown in public.

DSC_0059.jpg

The one and only time I worked with Buddy Guy. it was in the early 90s.

Buddy16.jpg
Buddy19.jpg

Buddy20.jpg

There have been MANY great practitioners of blues throughout the history of the music, which most believed to originate around 1920, in America's southern states. Blues music derived from jazz, gospel, folk, and old country music. Many of the early blues artists combined blues with religious music in their repertoire. My absolute favorite blues musician is Muddy Waters. His blues were/are some of the most powerful and heartfelt songs ever recorded. You really can't go wrong with ANY of his albums/CD's. His music really IS that good. Other favorites of mine include Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, B.B. King, Sam "Lightnin" Hopkins, Skip James, Elmore James, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Fenton Robinson, and Jimmy Johnson - who is STILL active in the Chicago blues scene at age 91! And also Buddy Guy, who has kept the blues "alive" probably more than any other older blues musician. So, here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

More of my favorites. They are more contemporary.

The second time I worked with him. It was 1995.

Robert00.jpg

The third time I worked with him. It was 1998.

Robert20A.jpg

Jimmy Page isn't easy to photograph. He's not photogenic. Even though he stands next to one of the most photogenic musicians I've ever worked with. It's like night and day. The shots below were taken the first time I worked with him in 1995.

JimmyPage4.jpg

JimmyPage20A.jpg

View attachment 331214View attachment 331215

The last time I worked with him. It was his 80th birthday tour. That is the smile he always had for me when he saw me. I started working with him in the early 90s ended in 2005 with so many wonderful times between. The two shots above have been published. The one below has never been published or shown in public.

View attachment 331217

View attachment 331219View attachment 331220
View attachment 331221
Thanks very much for the outstanding pics! You got to work with two of the greatest blues artists ever, that must have been amazing.

View attachment 331224

View attachment 331225

Jimmy Page isn't easy to photograph. He's not photogenic. Even though he stands next to one of the most photogenic musicians I've ever worked with. It's like night and day. The shots below were taken the first time I worked with him in 1995.

View attachment 331226
View attachment 331227
Wow, thanks again for THESE pics! Robert Plant AND Jimmy Page, just spectacular.

Here are a couple more. They are 2 of BB King's kids. King took young blues guitar players with him on the road. The first time I worked with both of the following men they were around 13 years old. Two different shows I worked with King through the years. These shots were taken later in their lives as adults.

I've worked with Joe three times. This was the second time I worked with him.
Joe#78.jpg
Joe#34.jpg

This was the third time I worked with him.

Joe#61.jpg

Joe#95.jpg

Joe#113.jpg

This is the second time I worked with Kenny.
Kenny#12.jpg
Kenny#15.jpg
Kenny#44.jpg

Here are a couple more. They are 2 of BB King's kids. King took young blues guitar players with him on the road. The first time I worked with both of the following men they were around 13 years old. Two different shows I worked with King through the years. These shots were taken later in their lives as adults.

I've worked with Joe three times. This was the second time I worked with him.View attachment 331233View attachment 331231

View attachment 331232
View attachment 331234

View attachment 331235

This is the second time I worked with Kenny.View attachment 331236View attachment 331237View attachment 331238
Wow, Joe is really young is those top two pics. He's one of my favorite blues guitarists. I own a couple of his live, double CD's, they're quite good. Thanks, again, for the fantastic pics!

View attachment 331214View attachment 331215

View attachment 331217

View attachment 331219View attachment 331220
View attachment 331221
Thanks very much for the outstanding pics! You got to work with two of the greatest blues artists ever, that must have been amazing.

I started working with musicians on and off stage when I was 19 years old. I retired when I was 54 years old.

I've worked with most of the greatest musicians of our lifetime.

My list of musicians I've worked with has more than 500 names on it. Most I've worked with more than once.

Mississippi John Hurt

Wow, John Hurt! He's one of my favorite folk/blues artists of the 1960's. I also REALLY like the collection of songs he recorded in the late 1920's. They're some of THE best pre-World War Two blues recordings I've heard. Did Patrick Sky work with John Hurt in the 1960's? I think I remember reading that. And thank you for posting the John Hurt video.

Tony Rice

Although there are thousands of terrific bluegrass (country-folk-jazz) musicians, both amateur and pro, if asked who is the top guitarist, most people would say Tony Rice.

Here's a sample of him (0:31 and 3:11) on the time bar. You can jump to those, or just watch the whole song, with some exceptionally fine bluesy solos on mandolin, dobro guitar, and fiddle. Anybody appreciative of good blues, won't be disappointed.

View attachment 331224

View attachment 331225

View attachment 331226
View attachment 331227
Wow, thanks again for THESE pics! Robert Plant AND Jimmy Page, just spectacular.

It was my career for 35 years. The reality is that all I do is just steal what's in front of me by pressing a button.

Robert is a pure joy to photograph and work with. The man was born to be on the stage. Seriously. I've worked with him 3 times. The first time was in the mid 80s when he released the Honeydrippers album. He did his regular set, took an intermission then came out and did the whole Honeydrippers album. He and all on stage were in 1950s clothes. I am one of the few who has photos of all of that.

Jimmy while is the most gifted men alive, he's a genius with a guitar, is sooooo not photogenic. He's like most gifted guitar players, he makes the most ridiculous faces when he plays his guitars. I love Jimmy. He's sweet. Both he and Robert have the same twisted sense of humor I have.

View attachment 331224

View attachment 331225

View attachment 331226
View attachment 331227

It was my career for 35 years. The reality is that all I do is just steal what's in front of me by pressing a button.

Robert is a pure joy to photograph and work with. The man was born to be on the stage. Seriously. I've worked with him 3 times. The first time was in the mid 80s when he released the Honeydrippers album. He did his regular set, took an intermission then came out and did the whole Honeydrippers album. He and all on stage were in 1950s clothes. I am one of the few who has photos of all of that.

Jimmy while is the most gifted men alive, he's a genius with a guitar, is sooooo not photogenic. He's like most gifted guitar players, he makes the most ridiculous faces when he plays his guitars. I love Jimmy. He's sweet. Both he and Robert have the same twisted sense of humor I have.
It sounds like that was a fantastic profession. And your info on Robert Plant is quite interesting. He seems to be a very nice guy in everything I've read about him. I've never read or seen ANYTHING bad about the man. Thanks so MUCH again for your wonderful posts on this thread. It's very much appreciated!

I've worked with Joe three times. This was the second time I worked with him.View attachment 331233View attachment 331231

View attachment 331232
View attachment 331234

View attachment 331235

This is the second time I worked with Kenny.View attachment 331236View attachment 331237View attachment 331238
Wow, Joe is really young is those top two pics. He's one of my favorite blues guitarists. I own a couple of his live, double CD's, they're quite good. Thanks, again, for the fantastic pics!

Yes the first ones of Joe were taken in 2007. The second time I worked with him. The first time he was just a kid on the road with King.

I was surprised how tall he got the second time I worked with him. We hugged and he joked with me about how small I am. When I first met him he was just a kid and I seemed much taller than I really am. LOL. I laughed and said I had him fooled.

The third time I worked with him he had just signed Crosby Loggins to his recording company and had him with him as his opening act. Not knowing I had worked with Crosby a few years before that when he was with his dad, Kenny Loggins. He opened the show for his dad then sang some songs with his dad during his dad's set. When Crosby came walking through the door and saw me he went nuts. Apparently that show he did with his dad was extremely special to him and he always wanted to work with me again and get some more of the shots from that show. Joe didn't know Crosby and I had worked together before.

We all had a fun time that day and night.

View attachment 331224

View attachment 331225

View attachment 331226
View attachment 331227

Led Zepplin was one the key contributions to classic rock. Absolutely wouldn't be the same without them.

Thanks for the post. Freddie was a great guitarist AND vocalist. It's a shame he died so young.

View attachment 331224

View attachment 331225

View attachment 331226
View attachment 331227

Led Zepplin was one the key contributions to classic rock. Absolutely wouldn't be the same without them.
[/

Forum List

Back